HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
marie4000

Herceptin trial for patients with DCIS

I just signed up for the herceptin trial (B-43 Clinical Trial, Phase III). It's for people with DCIS and are her2+. It's fairly complicated. I'm not sure yet if I'll be accepted. First they will check the lumpectomy sample to verify that it's Her2+ (it was determined to be her2+++ at Kaiser, so it will almost certainly test positive again). Then, if that is okay, the Research nurse will go through my complex medical history and my medicine list to see if I'm excluded from the trial. I've had melanoma, and I've been on 6MP, which may exclude me. If all that is okay, then I will be randomized. 50% of people will get the herceptin, and 50% won't get the infusion (no placebo).

If I'm in the group that gets the herceptin, then I will get the first dose the first week of radiation, and the 2nd dose in the 3rd week of radiation. There will only be 2 doses. The test is really for future patients with DCIS and who are Her2+. As it is now, it is apparently uncommon for patients with DCIS to be Her2+ (much less her2+++). So far, I appear to be a good candidate for the study.
Kaiser will not give the herceptin to me otherwise, since there is no positive evidence that herceptin helps people with DCIS.
This study will likely delay radiation for one week since the testing of the tissue will take nearly 2 weeks.
The entire length of the study is 10 years (I will be followed for 10 years).

I'm hoping to be in the study and to get the herceptin.
-Marie
marie4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Mommy-O

Re: Herceptin trial for patients with DCIS

Alright - I see I'm a few years late, but I'm signed up to do the same trial next week. Did you do it? How did you fair??
Mommy-O is offline   Reply With Quote