HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
ExpectAMiracle

Unhappy Need ammunition for TCH - please!

I saw my onc for the 1st time on Monday to discuss treatment plans. She originally wanted to use AC followed by Herceptin but after we discussed things, she said the TCH sounded good because it was less heart toxic and I could start the Herceptin right away. We discussed four rounds of treatment with that combo to start 4/9. After reading this board, I realized that most everyone here on TCH is getting 6 rounds, not 4. So I left a message for my onc. to call me back to discuss this. She called me just now and boy have things changed. I'm not sure what's happened to change her way of thinking, but it's not good!

She said that she meant Taxotere and Cytoxan not Taxotere and Carboplatin. She said further that there was "not a shred" of evidence that Herceptin was helpful for node negative cancer and that it had only been used in clincal trials for metastatic disease! She said that my insurance company, on first pass, was not approving Herceptin for me because I was node negative, Stage 1. I am so upset, devestated and frustrated right now that I don't know what to do. She said she would try to get my insurance to approve the Herceptin if she could, but she just kept saying that there was no evidence that it was effective in node negative cancer. I know that's not right, but I need some hard info to show her. It was hard for me to "argue" with her on the phone because I was so upset about the Herceptin. She also said that she didn't know of anyone that was using Taxotere and Carboplatin together for node negative disease.

If anyone can provide links to any info that is contrary to what she is saying that may help my insurance case, please let me know. Did anyone else have insurance problems with Herceptin? I have been trying to stay so upbeat and positive and now I feel so depressed and sad. Help please!

Hugs to all!

Determined to be a VICTOR not VICTIM - by the grace of God!
DX 2/8/07 at 48
1.75 cm IDC in left breast, Stage 1
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Lumpectomy 3/7/07, 5/5 nodes clear, clear margins
Starting TCH on 4/9/07, every 3 weeks X 4 treatments - Completed on 6/12/2007
33 rads to began 7/2/07 and completed on 8/22/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until April '08
ExpectAMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote