HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 AM   #1
kk1

UM Researchers Present Dramatic Cancer Findings

4/25/2005

********* Researchers from the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine have presented dramatic findings at a national cancer meeting that show a link between a very potent antioxidant that occurs naturally in the body, and the ability to kill breast and prostate cancer cells.* The antioxidant they have studied is Ubiquinone, more commonly referred to as Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10, and delivery of the therapy could soon* be as simple as applying an ointment to the tumor site.*

*********** CoQ10 is one of the most important antioxidants found in the body, and is used by cells not only to protect against free radical damage, but also to produce ATP,* a compound that powers every cell in the human body.* High levels of CoQ10 are especially essential in the high activity cells, such as heart muscle cells, brain cells, and immune system cells.* As we age, CoQ10 levels drop off, and decreased levels of the antioxidant have been observed in cancer, diabetes, and neurodegenerative diseases.

*********** In laboratory and animal studies, the UM researchers found that by delivering CoQ10 to cancer cells and tissues, the molecule induced apoptosis, which is the normal programmed cell death that goes awry in the disease process.* “The most amazing part is that we’ve been able to restore a cancer cell’s ability to kill itself, while not impacting normal cells,”** said Niven Narain, research associate in the Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery at the Miller School of Medicine.

*********** *The scientists made two presentations at the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research in Anaheim, Ca.* The first presentation involved the most common prostate cancer cell line, PC3.* The researchers showed that adding CoQ10 to the cells in vitro, or in the laboratory, there was a 70 percent inhibition of cell growth over 48 hours and a reversal in the expression of a key anti-apoptotic protein, bcl-2.* “We saw evidence that the remarkable reduction in cell growth was due to apoptosis, showing that CoQ10 restored the ability of the cancer cells to kill themselves,” said Narain.

In the second presentation, the researchers showed the impact of CoQ10 on several different breast cancer cell lines.* They found the substance greatly inhibited the proliferation of breast cancer cells, while providing a stabilizing effect on the normal mammary cells.* “This suggests to us that CoQ10 could be an effective adjuvant anti-tumor agent in breast carcinomas,” said Indushekhar Persaud, research associate* in the Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery at the Miller School of Medicine.

*********** The scientists have employed various ways to deliver the CoQ10, including through the skin.* They used liposomes made of phospholipids as a molecular vehicle to deliver dermatologically active agents into targeted cells.* “This significant work is an excellent model for the important outcomes of* basic science research, to offer new opportunities for exploring therapeutic options in ill patients.* It is the laboratory bench to bedside paradigm we all seek,”* said Lawrence Schachner, M.D., chairman of the Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery.

*********** *S.L. Hsia, Ph.D., director of the Transdermal Delivery/Cutaneous Biology Laboratory and principal investigator of the research, said, “It is amazing that a benign compound, CoQ10, can cause the cancer cells to selectively kill themselves without harm to normal cells. Moreover, we have a novel topical delivery system that offers cancer patients an improved quality of life with a boost of energy.* Indeed, our team looks forward to one day bringing the benefit and hope of this technology to many cancer patients.”
Old 04-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
triciak

This is exciting news. I have been taking CoQ10 for my heart ever since my heart attack last June 30, which is when we discovered the met BC in my lungs also. I think I will try double doses just to see if it makes a difference. I am doing well on herceptin, too, after 6 months of navelbine and herceptin and now just herceptin. There are so many new and good possibilities out there we just have to hang in and keep positive!! Tricia
Old 04-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Rozebud

Is it just me? I swear every time I take it, I get heartburn. Anyone else?? I've been shying away b/c it wakes me up in the middle of the night.
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Lolly

I take 100mg of CoQ 10 in the morning with my other vitamins, after breakfast, and another 100 mg after dinner. No problems with heartburn, but I'm also on Prilosec...
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
al from canada

Linda has been taking 150 mg coQ10 since she started AC and now with herceptin for cardio and its anti-tumoral effects. Studies I have read suggest a dose of 350 mg + but I feel that with other anti-tumor supplements such as IP6, curcumin, rhodiola, oleic acid, etc; that combined synergy probably does more good.
Regards,
Al
Old 04-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Esther

I saw a study indicating benefit for BC patients with a dose of 400mg taken first thing in the morning.

I'll have try to find the study to get more details than that.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:01 PM   #7
al from canada

Here are a few articles for your bed-time reading.
Al

http://www.healthworks2000.com/Coenzyme%20...nd%20Cancer.htm

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag96/feb96-report2.html

and a bibliography with summaries of abstracts provided by Washington state.

http://faculty.washington.edu/ely/co...html#ABSTRACTS