HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
jml

Zofran & constipation :(

Anyone else experiencing/ed this very unfortunate & uncomfortable situation?
I'd almost prefer the nausea - since that only lasts a couple of days after chemo & the latter endures for DAYS! Ugh!
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Debbie L.

Anyone else experiencing/ed this very unfortunate & uncomfortable situation?

Yeah, probably pretty much all of us. There are lots of favorite remedies. The generic of Senokot worked well for me but it took almost until the end of chemo before I finessed how much and when. It's pricey, even generic, but reliable yet nonviolent.

I wondered why my onc's nurse didn't warn and advise me about this but she said it's impossible to tell how any one person will react. She said diarrhea is an issue for some, for example. I mostly hear from those who have the constipation issue, however.

So now that you know this is an issue for you, you can be proactive. I started the night before chemo. Simple stool softeners are usually not up to the task, although adding them to the mix helps. Senokot, milk of magnesia, even dulcolax are mentioned as things that worked for many. And lots of liquids.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
jml

Thanks Debbie for your suggestions!
I've been on/off chemo for the past 7 years & have been lucky to not struggle with much nausea. (In fact, a little compazine typically goes along way for me, but last week I switched to Zofran b/c I was having some break-through nausea).
So, just 1 Zofran dose before chemo & 1 the day after...then DAYS of constipation. UGH It took me a couple of days to make the association, but finally figured it out.
Thus far, I've been eating a crazy amounts of prunes & clementines to try & get things going, but still struggling!
So now, as I walk out the door for chemo#101, as a proactive measure, I've eaten 4 prunes & taken 1 stool softener & a GIANT glass of water.
Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
vickie h

Smile

I've had the same problems, but have it down as of last year. I take Magnesium (cheap and can get it at health food store, drug store, etc) every day. I take 500 to 1000 mg and no more constipation. You can up the dose before chemo and the day after if it's not working. I like magnesium (powdered or capsules) because it also alkalizes your body (cancer has harder time growing in an alkaline environment). Everyone is different, so you can play around with the dosage. Hope this helps. Love, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Paty

Well let me tell you, for me it was a big problem. One doctor recomended plantaben (plantago ovata), wich is a natural fiber you get in pharmacies and you mix it with water and drink one glass of water in addition to that. It made miracles in me, it still does and keeps me regular.
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Mgarr

What worked the best for me was "Smooth Move" tea recommended by my chemo nurses. It is available at health food stores. Best of luck.

Mary

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Carolyns

Count me as a another fan of Smooth Moves tea. It works better than any of the things that the Dr.s suggested and it was the last thing I tried when my nurse encouraged me to try it.

I drink it at night the evening before chemo and then for about 3 days more as needed. I try to enjoy the process. I put on my fuzzy slippers and pour my tea into my favorite tea cup and make myself all cozy on the couch. Then after a good night's rest I wake up and take care of business. I know too much information.

Good luck to you.

Carolyn

Last edited by Carolyns; 01-31-2009 at 08:40 PM..
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
jml

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your suggestions, TMI & all.This disease certainly has a way to keep us humble, among many, many other things!

Keep the Faith!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
rondo

Magnesium worked great for me too. it also helps with the leg cramps.
IDC 6 mm l.b. 3/08 age 49; ER <1%+; PR -; KI67 40%; HER2 +++by FISH; lumpectomy/snb 4/08; extensive dcis found at surgery (didn't show in bx or mammo); micromet in sn; MRI breasts and chest 4/08-NED; re-excision l.b. 5/08; refused axillary node dissection; no ca found in re-excision tissue. TCH q 3 wk x 6 finished 10/08; whole breast rad x 7 wk finished 12/08; refused axillary and supraclavicular rad. Herceptin thru 6/09. Refused tamoxifen & aromatase inhibitors.
1/13 so far so good:-) have vestibular hypofunction from chemo but its all good since now officially on borrowed time!
rondo is offline   Reply With Quote