HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Vicki Z

Herceptin or not/Please summarize posts

Nov. 16, 2005
Hi Everyone,

I read Joanie's posts on "Herceptin or not...that is the question" and it was great. I haven't been a regular lately, so what's the "word on the her2 streets" about going back after being out of treatment? I finished Aug., 2004 and only did herceptin (with taxol and carboplatin) for three months. Better than nothing, I guess, but I wish I'd had it for a year. Do I want to go back into the medical mode? No, but I want to be as safe with my body as possible.

Will you please post here or e-mail me at zimmermanvicki@yahoo.com and summarize what the women on here are thinking and saying? Time since last treatment? Herceptin for how long? Is one year standard? Anything else?

Thanks my wonderful, witty and wise women.

Love,

Vicki
Old 11-17-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
nancymarie

I am starting Herceptin 12/9

Vickie,

I want to be proactive as much as possible about my health care. I finished chemo back in 2003. I am HER2/NEU 3+. I discussed this with my onc and he gave me the line about "well studies have not been done on patients that far out" - but he finally gave in and will let me have it. When I met with my breast surgeon about 1 week before, she told to go get a 2nd opinion if my current onc did not approve it. My insurance (Pacificare) came through with the approval yesterday so I start my year of treatments on 12/9.

My intuition tells me to do this. I was so devastated back in 2002 when I was put in the clinical trial for Herceptin that only got the regular chemo so if I have a chance to take it now - I am going to do it!

Talk to your doctors, talk to your family, and do what's right for you.

-Nancy
nancymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
Vicki Z

Are you in Calif.?

Hi Nancymarie,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I appreciate it. With Pacificare, you must also be in Calif. Where were you treated and who are your onc. and surgeon? Thanks,

Vicki
Old 11-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
nancymarie

Vicki,

I am in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

-Nancy
nancymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
Joannie

Herceptin or not, that is the question

Vicki:
I just posted again with an update from my onc. on this topic. Please go there for what we discussed today.
Joannie
Joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Vicki Z

Okay, Joannie

I'll look at your post on your thread. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
amya

Herceptin or not that is question

I posted on the earlier thread also. I am glad I am finally able to connect with women in similar position.
amya is offline   Reply With Quote