HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
nancymarie

Breathing Problems from Herceptin?

Hi Everyone,

I was only on Herceptin for six months and was taken off of it from the result of my echo's plus some other side effects I was having. That was in June.

Now, I seem to be having some breathing problems - like I am wheezing and a dry ticklish cough. I had a bad cold about 2 weeks ago but this problem is still hanging on and my primary care physician asked if I was winded easily or had asthma (which I don't).

Anyone have anything similar? I see my onc next Friday and I will probably ask him at that time.

Thanks in advance,

-Nancy
nancymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Michelle

Hi Nancy,

Havent been on in a while, but wanted to let you know I expierenced something very similar. In fact , my onc. told me herceptin continues in the system for some time. I'am 35, and a flight of stairs had me winded. I also had to stop the herceptin , and my breathing definately got worse before it got better. Still, best to check with your onc. just wanted to give you some peace of mind.
Best wishes,
Michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Her2nSue

Unhappy

Hi

I can certainly relate to your concerns about feeling winded with herceptin. I had been on it for almost 9 months, when I started feeling as though my chest was wrapped in a tight terniquet. I felt winded coming up stairs or if walking at a fast pace. Even slow dancing (at a wedding), took all the fun out of what used to be fun to do. I still feel fatigued. My last Muga showed I was down to 48, gone through EKG's, CT scans and a left heart catherization (sp?). Now I have a new man in my life, a cardiologist. My onc. has signed off with just keeping an eye on me every 3 mo., but he has said he's not going to continue the Herceptin and the cardiologist was in agreement. So, I too hope that the dosage that I had received of Herceptin has done the job. My arteries looked nice and clean, so they had ruled out my effects were not caused by blockage. Mild heart damage from chemo is the final ruling. They have put me on lisinopril, coreg and a lasix pill. The cardio. said they will increase the mg's of the coreg as much as my body will tolerate. It helps weak hearts. I suggest that if you are feeling winded, wereas you weren't before, push that issue with your onc. ask for more tests (EKG or Ecocardiagram) the second one I had which helped the cardiologist and onc. to realize that my heart was weak.

Good luck and let me know how things are going.

Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
MJo

We are guinea pigs. Future bc patients will thank us. I betcha that heart issues are popping up in a lot of Herceptin patients. Six weeks ago I didn't get my Herceptin dose due to drop in muga score -- 70 to 54 after a year, including A/C and 9 months of Herceptin. I go back next week for another Muga, but unless doctor urges me to continue, I'm done. I have asthma, but I too noticed that halfway through a dance I'm short of breath and have to sit down. That's not asthma. (I must admit that I'm talking about the merengue, not a slow dance. But before treatment I could dance the night away. And I'm 55!). I also don't have the strength and motivation to garden. I want my strong heart back! Will talk to oncologist next week about whether I should see a cardiologist.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote