HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-13-2006, 04:27 AM   #1
Val Pfeiffer

To Port or Not to Port? That is the Question...

It's late, and I'm a little punchy...sorry for the not-so-witty thread title...couldn't resist :-)

Anyway, I read Steph's post about getting her port replaced and it made me wonder...how many of you had a port installed for your chemo and/or post-treament Herceptin? I have no reason to ask this other that my own curiosity. I did not want a port, so I didn't get one. I had a line run each week for my six months of chemo and then, for the last year, every three weeks for Herceptin.

I had a friend with breast cancer one year before I was diagnosed and she complained about her port (but had wicked chemo meds so had no choice), so I was opposed to receiving a port from the start. Fortunately I have big and cooperative veins and it's been going fine.

But I am so interested to hear if the rest of you were offered a choice, and if so, if you were happy with your decision. Or if you had no choice, how did it go for you?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
koolbreeze

To Port or not to Port

I don't recall that I really made a conscious decision to have the port. I think it was more like recommended and scheduled and I just did it. I am sure I would have had a choice had I thought about it.

I had the port put in and have been glad to have it. When I first started my chemo it was difficult to get the port working sometimes. Not sure if it was a placement problem or clots or what but it added about 1/2 hour to my treatments in the beginning when I was on A/C every three weeks. Then when I went to weekly Taxol and Herceptin it straightened out and I have had no problems since then. I am again on every three weeks for Herceptin but it works every time.

I really appreciate the port and sometimes get irritated when I need blood work or anesthesia and they can't or won't use the port. Why get stuck when I have the port. Of course, my veins are not very easy to access so the port is a good thing for me. I like it.

Take care Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
janet/FL

Val, the port saved my arm and my sanity. With the use of only one arm for this kind of thing, I wanted to save my veins for other times I might need them--like when I am 90 years old. I won't even let them use the automatic blood pressure cuff as it can cause numbness in my arm for several days. My port is quite prominent so I am deciding now, after my one year of Herceptin, when to take it out. I may wait until I am two years past diagnois which would be the end of this year.
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
Barbara H.

I couldn't have handled treatment without a port. My veins are too difficult to access. I had a port put in 98 for the initial treatment and then I had to get another when I had my recurrence two years ago.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #5
Becky

Val

I was never even told about a port. I didn't even know what they were. I always used my veins. There were a few problems with the AC treatments but there are only 4 of them. I only have 3 more Herceptin treatments and I will be at 2 yrs post diagnosis so we will stop then.

I think if anything else happens, I would get a port since I would be on Herceptin for life and on/off chemo.

I am glad not to have it though.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Val Pfeiffer

P.S. I have been very happy that I didn't get a port, (a) because my veins have been working fine, and (b) because I'm glad I won't have a big scar from the port. But Janet's post regarding saving her veins for later made me stop and think -- do your veins change if you use them a lot? Do you only get so many "pokes" in one lifetime before they stop cooperating? I've never heard that before. Given the fact that recurrence is so likely, maybe I didn't make the right decision about the port this time.
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
Jean

good post

Val,
Interesting post - My one onc. in NY at Cornell did not even ask me about port just told me as he made appt. for the surgery. When I went to Hackensack Cancer Ctr (this is where I ended up having my chemo) they did not even consider port first. They approached the situation with "we will try without port first attitude" I loved it since I did not want a port (much like you) heard some varied stories and I was very concerned. I have very small veins and was not very postive that it would work - but I was hopeful...I have been doing just great and they are wonderful at the cancer center. They do prepare me for treatment with warm compressses for 15 min. prior to starting treatment. I must say I never even have a mark on me after treatment. The nurses are the best. They always get the needle in on the first attempt. So far so good and I am very happy they at least attempted treatment this way. I will have my 5th chemo on 8/21...then, only one more to go - then a yr. of herceptin. I would guess the type of chemo maybe and treatment plan would effect this decsion... I am having TCH....

Jean

Last edited by Jean; 08-13-2006 at 07:01 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile Port Or Not

Val - I have had several ports now over the years. The first two were placed low by my first surgeon and that was harder to access. The last one I had is up higher and much easier.

I am very happy to have it as it does save the veins. With a mastectomy I can only use the one arm so that does wear out the veins when they are used so much. I do use my good little vein when I go in to just draw blood or something fast like that. But the port comes in very handy if you ever end up in the hospital (which I have several times ) in all of these years. They can do everything from there and not have to use a IV in your arm, which I hate.

I don't even remember I have one in half the times.

I was also never really "given an option" but I guess you could choose your veins if you want to, as you did. There are some chemos which do require to be administered through the port only. In that case, you would have to have one.

Hopefully, you won't have to make that decision anytime soon.

Take care Val
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Lisa1962

I started getting my Herceptin and Zometa treatments in May of '05 thru an IV in my veins - after only 5 treatments I could no longer use my left arm - the veins didn't collapse (the drugs are not that caustic) but I scarred up so badly that the needle couldn't go through - I started using my right arm but I knew I only had a few treatments to go on that one. I got a port in November '05.

I hate the constant reminder that I have cancer BUT the treatments go faster with the port.

It's not a bad thing to have - I just hate the darn bump on my chest
Lisa1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
tricia keegan

Unhappy

Hi Val

I was adament I did'nt want a port as I had never had any problems with my veins.I lasted up to tx 3 of a/c and I would literaly be sitting with my arm in hot water for an hour and still bruised from the attempts to get a vein.I gave in then and I'm so glad I did.I hate it poking out of my chest but it has saved me alot of anguish and hassle.Last week I had an oopherectomy and there was no one available to access the port so having tried every vein in my body with no success the anesthetist finally had to give me the anesthetic in my neck which was not pleasant.She said she did'nt want to access the port for fear of infection!!i wish now I'd had the port before the a/c began and hope someday my veins will recover.
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
chrisy

Hey, this is a sup-PORT group, after all!

So Val, don't feel bad about slap-happy message titles!
I started chemo without a port, had problems after my first chemo (clots in vein) and was offered a port at that time. I for whatever reason didn't want a port and so took 6 months of weekly chemo and now over a year with every 3 weeks herceptin in my veins. My veins started to get uncooperative near the end of chemo, but for the most part are still behaving now with the every 3 weeks. After hearing so many people here rave about their port, I think I might go for the port and save my veins - there were a few times it took multiple attempts to feed the line which was very stressful for me AND the chemo nurses!
Interesting thread, I look forward to reading more input from those who did have one...
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
Chelee

Val, At my first chemo my infusion nurse checked out the veins which were so, so. She did my infusion the first time through a vein, but then I heard from my onc doc that my nurse said I need to get a port. My veins would never make it with the chemo and weekly herceptin. I was totally against a port...just didn't want any thing else to worry about.

But I did end up with a port. Mine is in my upper left arm right where you would put a blood pressure cuff. Its been in since The end of Feb. 2006 and so far its been great. The doctor that put it in even said "Opps" while he did it. Scared me to death! But it worked from the first time they tried it till date. (Knock on wood.)

As much as I was against it...I am glad I have it. Saves me SO MUCH time and makes life easier for me and the nurses. The only thing I WISH I had thought of BEFORE they did it...is the placement. Now I CAN'T have my blood pressure read anymore. They can't use my right arm either due to the SNB I had. So they take my blood pressure in my leg and believe me...its NOT accurate. Ha!

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
chartermom02

I wish I had gotten a port; my onc never thought it was necessary as I only had 4 A/C and at that point, I was thankful for no more procedures; however, I'm now over 5 years out and have horrible veins. Labwork can only be done with a butterfly and an experienced phlebotomist and it is very painful when the needle is withdrawn. I never had any issues with my veins prior to chemo - always big and accommodating and I guess that's why my onc suggested no port.
chartermom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
sally

love my port

My Dr. recommended that I get the port. I'm glad I did. I have had it in for a little over 2 years. Anyone that accesses it comments on how great it works and what a great job the surgeon did. I barely have a scar. It doesn't stick out either. I am totally used to it. I hate having my veins accessed. I almost passed out at my last mugga scan because the nurse kept moving the IV. I also have very small veins. Some nurses use a childrens IV which is great. I would definitely get a port if ant lenght of time is involved for your treatment. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
karenann

My doc didn't really give me a choice. He said I had to have a port for this kind of chemo (dose dense AC/T). I am really happy that I had the port during chemo and Herceptin. To me, it just made my treatment a lot easier.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:33 AM   #16
saleboat

I was not offered a port-- I think the cancer center that I went to only does that on an 'as-needed' basis. I really didn't want another reminder of the cancer nor another surgery-- have the sense that the port is done for the ease of the treatment center sometimes, not the patient's.
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #17
Demack

Smile

Hi, When I first recieved Chemo in 1999 I started out without a port. The first treatment, It took quite a few attempts to start the IV in my one good arm, and it was very painful. I had a port before my second treatment. It was great and I never regretted having it. When I was diagnosed last fall with a tumor on my Liver, I never thought twice about getting the port put back in and it has been working great for my chemo and weekly Herceptin. The veins in my right arm are small and very uncooperative. It is hard to get blood work done with out the port.
Have a great day.
Debbie
Demack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #18
Shell

Val-

I could not imagine not having a port - I had the 1st on placed in my upper arm, and didn't think I wanted it there (I gave them 3 requirements - I still had to be able to pick up my children, carry the groceries and play golf using that arm). It worked great - I had it taken out, and then unfortunately, just a very short time later, had my 1st reoccurrence - the one I have now is placed in my chest very low so it doesn't impact clothing, etc. The scar from the 1st one can hardly be noticed...

I even have them access it for my MRIs and echos every 6 weeks, which is all I use if for since, ironically, I am just on oral chemo now...

Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #19
Mary Jo

I did not have a prot

Hello,

I, like you, did not want a port and my oncologist was fine with it. She said it should go fine without but if the "chemo ladies" had trouble I could get one. I started my chemo Aug. 24, 2005 (dx stage 2A or B - er/pr neg. her2neu pos). I did the dose dense chemo AC/Taxol (every 2 weeks treatment) - for a total of 8 treatments. I started my herceptin when taxol started (mid Oct) and will finish with that on Oct. 11. YIPEE. (chemo finished on Nov. 30th) So far no trouble finding a vein ~ although it's not
QUITE as easy as before but still usually finds the vein the first time.

God Bless everyone,

marejo
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #20
sarah

port! my veins are definitely too small they had problems doing the weekly blood tests for the weekly injections - they tried needles for babies, in my hand, I'd put my arm in hot water for 30 minutes beforehand..... then 6 months of weekly injections and now H every 3 weeks!! I don't think it would have been posible. the port feels funny sometimes and it certainly wasn't put in by an artist but I don't mind it. One friend has the tiniest port that's really not visilbe unless she points it out - if that's the issue. What I love is the EMLA patch that makes the injection painless. i want to keep my port as long as possible just in case...
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote