HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
KG1993

bone mets and pain...does it go away

I know I have been asking a lot of quest lately, but my mom (dx 2011) is finally wanting me to ask questions to the people who have/are going through breast cancer.

She has bone mets to the spine. She is still feeling some pressure/pain in the area. She wants to know if mets to bone will always have some pain.

Also....she is SO WORRIED that she will not ever feel better again. Please give me some words of wisdom I can share with her.

SHe told me tonight she was scared and that about broke my heart.
Thanks,
KG
KG1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
KristinSchwick

Re: bone mets and pain...does it go away

KG,
There will probably always be some level of discomfort, but it won't necessarily be painful. For me, my bone mets stopped hurting within the first month of treatment, but my back is still alittle stiff in certain positions- ie sleeping on my stomach. But I live a totally pain free lifestyle- I can jog, bike, swim and have no pain. Hang in there- it will get better! And there are really great pain meds in the meantime.
Kristin
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
MJo

There's a woman in my survivor support group who is living with bone mets. Her pain comes and goes. For the most part she's pretty comfortable and goes on with her life. And How! She just planned and executed a big wedding for her daughter. Sometimes she complains that the pain is more intense. I know she takes an aromatase inhibitor. Not sure what else she takes.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
KristinSchwick

I decided to re-visit this post as I had to switch therapies due to more bone progression. Now I'm on Tykerb and Herceptin and my bone mets are definitely more noticeable now. Grrrrr-
If I take tylenol or another over the counter NSAID, I get complete relief, but I hate having to take pills to feel normal. Part of it might be that I am running around after a toddler all day.
How's your mom feeling these days?
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
KG1993

She feels exactly the same way. Her back hurts. She doesn't take anything for the pain because she feels that she is already taking too much medicine. I am sorry to hear the turn of events for you.

She is now just doing herceptin ev 3 weeks. No other meds besides zometa.

Keep me posted if you find any relief. How did you know the bone mets were progressing? Did they develop elsewhere?

KG
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Emelie B

I am sorry to hear that your mom is still in pain and I highly recommend talking to her onc. about it. My pain from bone mets went away after 3 treatments and I was on Zometa until June of last year. There may be some pain meds that will take the pain away so she can start to feel like herself and slowly stop them after the pain has calmed down. I hate to say this, but we have to deal with the drugs and treatments for the duration and if the pain is keeping her from living her life to the fullest, then something needs to be done.
I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and ride the bike 9 miles, lift weights, and do stretching and yoga to get relief. It really helps to walk everyday. Start slow and work your way up to a 30 minute walk.
I hope she will talk to her doc. about this and I wish you both the best.
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
KG1993

Emilee,
Do you suggest any specific pain med?

Kim

PS Side effects?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Kmswilson

I have pretty significant mets to my spine and sacrum, and a compression fracture in my spine from the cancer weakening the vertebrae. I was in considerable pain last January before I was diagnosed. My doc prescribed an MS Contin (Morphine sulfate), but it's a long-acting drug that builds up over time. I take it twice a day. I used to have to also take another pain med in between for break thru pain, but after a month on the MS Contin, I have no longer needed anything for break thru pain. I'm also on Zometa, and my bones have shown signs of healing over the last year, but with the fracture, I can't lift anything over 10 lbs. I live fairly pain-free as long as I don't try to lift anything too heavy or anything like that. I hate putting more meds in my system, but there's no way I could fight the battle I have been and still have to go without controlling the pain. Good luck to your mom in all of this! It's a tough road, but we just have to do whatever we can to get through! :-)
12/27/10 - IDC, rt breast (approx. 15 cm), lymph nodes, age 36. 1/7/11 - stage 4 IDC, extensive liver mets, Bone mets (spine, sacrum, rib, sternum, upper arm), ER-/PR-, HER2+++; 1/12/11 - port, 1/17/11- startweekly Taxol/Herceptin, monthly Zometa
3/8/11- decrease in all tumors, bones healing. 3/11- 3 wks on/1 off Taxol/Herceptin, +Zometa
6/6/11 - decrease in all tumors, healing bones, 2-4 new liver lesions. 3 wks on/1 wk off Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, +Zometa
7/29/11 - liver progression, others stable; 8/11-drop taxol/carbo, start Navelbine
12/11 - liver progression; begin AC, drop Herceptin;
1/12 - liver enzymes normal, 2/6 results show regression in liver, stable others, but 9 tiny brain mets (largest 7 mm). Begin 13 WBRs 2/6; 2/29-start Tykerb, 3/7, start Xeloda
5/2012- liver progression and regression, liver biopsy confirms HER2+++. drop Xeloda, start Herceptin, Tykerb, Zometa.
5/2012- brain MRI shows all lesions gone except 1, 2mm shrinking!
Kmswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
CoolBreeze

Hi. I'm a firm believer in pain meds. There is no reason a cancer patient should have to suffer with pain that will likely not go away on its own. And, if it does go away, than pain meds can be stopped. Cancer patients rarely become addicted to pain meds. Their body might become dependant but it's very easy to taper down and stop. It's addiction that causes the craving to take drugs, and that is a mental state.

Your mom is probably opiate-naive so she can likely take a low-dose of something that will help relieve her pain. I can't say what that would be. I personally, who have been taking opiates for a while, take 20 mg of oxycontin in the morning and at night. I'm allowed one in the afternoon too, don't always take it. I also take hyrdomorphone for breakthrough pain. The truth is that I would do nothing but sit in a hot bath all day if I didn't have these pain meds to help me function and sleep. I think your mom ought to consider it.

There is nothing heroic about living in pain when there is medicine that can help. Addiction is not a problem for Stage IV cancer patients.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote