HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #21
Dace

I am glad I got my port

With my first treatment last year, I had a picc line, which was great other than the can't get it wet thing and having to go get it flushed every week. I am a needlephobic. For this econd time, I got a port and I am very happy with it so far. I don't even feel the stick and it maked life easier. I have small, rolling veins (they used an infant needle for my last two surgeries) so this alleviates multiple sticks and digging. So far, I am really happy with it!
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:57 AM   #22
Kimberly Lewis

I really liked the port and had to fight to get one as my 2nd onc was against them. The A/C ruined my good veins and it just got harder and harder to draw blood. I must say though that in spite of good report I did have to have mine removed because of a mystery staph infection that came 8 months after installation. It was traumatic to me having it pulled but it really made me sick. I am just now healing up enough to have another put in. I would be very careful when others access it being sure correct proceedures are followed, and certainly will be more concerned about that with the new one. I have to have surgery for Oopharectomy so I will have a new one then while I am out! I am so sick of being cut-up and poked. Feel like a jerk for saying that when there are so many others with bigger longer ordeals! Hope this info helps...
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:41 AM   #23
astrid

I HATE needles

I had a port installed because I HATE needles inserted in veins. Don’t mind a shot, but can’t handle needles. I can’t even watch needles on TV shows like ER. I love my port, I wish I could keep it for life, but having it accessed monthly would be a pain. I have had no issues with my port and the scar is almost gone. I only started Herceptin in June, so 10 more months to go. I love that they can draw blood from the port. Mine is valved non heparin.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #24
Ora

My onc did not ask me if I wanted the port, just scheduled the installation, but was glad because I too HATE needles. It was so nice they took my blood from the port, but now it only goes in and they can't draw blood out of it anymore so I still have to get stuck occasionally. I only seem to have one good vein that's handy. They also gave me some lidocane (? numbs it) cream to glob on the port & cover with that sticky plastic wrap about 2 hours before my herceptin and I don't even feel the stick. You can tell I still have chemo-brain because I can't remember what that plastic wrap is called or how to spell the numbing agent.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #25
TriciaK

Let me add my vote in favor of ports! I have had impossible rolling inaccessable veins all my life, and my port is such a blessing I hope I never have to take it out. It is small, in my left chest just below the clavicle, hardly visible. It was put in in July of 2004 after a couple of weeks in the hospital from a heart attack and cancer mets to the lungs. By the time it was put in I was black and blue all over from nurses trying to draw blood. I have blood work once a month now that I am NED and only on zometa, but had triple bypass heart surgery in May and was so thankful for my port. The nurses at the heart hospital didn't want to use the port, but I told them to give me back my clothes and I would go home if they didn't, so they found someone to access it and used it all the time I was in the hospital, even during surgery. It always works, I rarely feel anything. I do have one vein on my right upper wrist that the EMT's found and it is usable for tests like CTs ,PETs and MUGAs when they have to use a vein. Otherwise I go to the chemo lab for all other blood tests through the port, no matter what doctor prescribes them. I highly recommend a port to save the veins from chemo damage, even if you have good veins. Good luck and hugs! Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #26
Andi

I don't remember ever being asked about a port. I had all of my chemos and herceptins (except 2 remaining) in my right arm. I have my arm warmed each time before my infusions and several times it took more than one try. The blood draws were equally as challenging. I don't have a problem with needles, but can sure see the value of a port.
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #27
cherylynnie

I wrote a very long reply to this and was logged on but it kicked it out when I was trying to post it and all was lost. So this is a test message so to speak.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #28
cherylynnie

Cool

Here goes.....I had a hard time adjusting to my port it was probably six months until it didn't bother me anymore. I had it put in before my second AC and then by the third it was infected at the incision and couldn't be used for the third treatment. But used it the fourth and all the taxotere treatments and now all the herceptin infusions.

This is much shorter than what I had written before.

But everyone is different and I don't think there is a right or wrong choice. Some at my oncs office have ports and some do not. It seems like most of the breast cancer patients have ports and of course I don't see or know all of them since I usually only go on Tuesdays. I am speaking of the ones that I see which would be about 7 of them and all have ports.
Even though mine has given me trouble and isn't placed exactly perfectly I am still happy to have it.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen

Last edited by cherylynnie; 08-17-2006 at 03:35 PM..
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #29
StephN

Wink Sheepskin - a Godsend!

Wow, Val! See what you started. Lots of opinions.

I was fussing about the placement of my new port to be right where the seatbelts cross my chest if I am driving.
So - had a FLASHBACK to when I got the first port put in about 6 years ago. Funny how these ideas just roost somewhere in the back of your mind.

I recalled telling myself if I ever had a surgery on the left side again I would get one of those sheepskin seatbelt covers.
So, found one on eBay not too expensive and it arrived today. Put it right on the seatbelt (it comes apart with a velcro strip so it is easy), went out to the local farmers market and it was just great. I did not have to drive with the seatbelt pulled down under my arm.
The cover is thick enough and soft enough - now I am OK to drive again.

Just thought I would pass this on as this idea may help others.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:50 AM   #30
chrislmelb

Smile Love my port

Had it put in, at my request, for my two years of herceptin 18 mths down the track. Highly recommend.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #31
tousled1

My oncologist didn't offer me the choice of port or no port. She sent me to the surgeon and I had the port put in on the upper left chest and the next day started my chemo. When I had my surgery the nurses were having trouble accessing my veins so I told them I had a port that they could probably use. They had to get an oncology nurse to access the port. After that everything went fine. The only thing I don't like about the port is when you touch it it gives me a weird feeling - lets you know that there really is a foreign object in your chest.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:29 AM   #32
lu ann

When I had cancer 15 year ago they had a difficult time using my veins. I would sometimes get poked 3-4 times. Having a port has been great. It can even be used to push the contrast for my CT scans. I have to go to the treatment center where I get chemo first (just across the hall) to have the oncology nurse access my port. The CT techs are not alloud to push anything through the port so the radiologist has to come in and push 6 large syringes filled with the thick contrast. It also makes things easier for me as I have a hard enough time positioning my arms over my head without having to worry about pulling the needle out of my arm or hand. Blessings, Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #33
Mgarr

I was given the option but my veins held out good. There were a few times I wished I had a port when it came to the MUGA - As to the question of do your veins change. My chemo nurses said the A/C & Taxol can damage them but they said the Herceptin is more mild.
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #34
rinaina

I have very small and very superficial veins that collapse so easily. For my first chemo treatment the onc nurse tried twice to access a vein and failed and they have a two time rule at the office so another nurse tried and was able to get it. For my second treatment they were unable to keep a vein open long enough to administer my chemo drugs so that day I only had the premeds, what a waste. They scheduled a port for the next day, which I had warned them from the beginning that I would need but they wanted to try without first. I had the port placed without a problem on the underside of my lower arm just below the bend in my elbow and then had my 2nd treatment the same day. I have had no problems with the port at all and I am thrilled not to be a pin cushion. I will keep the port throughout my herceptin tx which just began last Thursday. Hopefully I will continue to not have any problems with it.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote