HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
anne2

Hi
I know it is worrisome to have the TM jump. Did you have a cold or were feeling under the weather when they were done? My mom's onc says that any inflammation can affect marker and still be normal. It is good you are getting scanned to be on the safe side.
Think good thoughts and I will pray you have good results.
Hugs,
Anne
anne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
eric

Kelly,

Caryn's doctor has made it clear that tm's can go up and down often. It becomes more concerning if it shoots up or continues to move up each time. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry as it could easily be nothing.
By the way, I agree...great picture of you and your son (my assumption).

Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Barbara2

I saw Dr. Pegram this past April and what follows is his response to my question about tumor markers. I have to say, I wish I would have pressed him a little more for details. My numbers went up recently, too, and it made me quite nervous. I won't know anything further until my next 3 month check. (This is why some oncs don't do the markers...it causes such anxiety...and if there is trouble brewing, we wouldn't know until symptoms appear or the markers continue to rise.) Here is Dr. Pegram:

Tumor Markers:

What is your opinion of having markers done?<O

I do them. They’re not very good, but I do them once in a while. It’s about like the barometric pressure. “How’s the weather today?” Oh its 760 millimeters of mercury today; well that’s one atmosphere, so that tells you maybe it’s not high or low but it doesn’t tell you the temp, clouds, precip. So that’s exactly the analogy I would make of the tumor markers. They’re a piece of a puzzle; by themselves they’re virtually worthless. But I still give them.

My CA27-29 #s have been in the normal range, but went down a little more after completing Herceptin. Might that possibly show that Herceptin had an effect?<O

They’re all in the normal range. It doesn’t mean a thing. Any bouncing around in the normal range doesn’t mean a thing. I don’t get impressed unless those things double on 2 separate occasions, back to back, a month apart. To impress me it would have to go from 20 to 40 to 80, then I’d say maybe something’s going on. That just means it’s time to take a look with some tests, but it’s not alarming. But 20 to 40 even, doesn’t get me excited. 40 doesn’t mean anything; 38 is the upper end of normal. So if it doesn’t double twice, then I’m unimpressed.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote