HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Jean

er/pr weak...

I am moving this post over to this area as you may recive additonal information.

robind

ER/PR weak, Her2 Positive vs. Femera
3 months into receiving Herceptin, just started Femera. Oncologist said Femera won't be as effective in my case because I am weakly er/pr positive (both 15%). If I were strongly er/pr positive I would benefit much more. She gave me the impression that my prognosis is not as good because of this or maybe I was so shocked to learn the above that's what I read into it. My question now has become then why would I take Femera to begin with? If I am considered weakly, and the benefits are not so high than what real benefit will it be? The side effects might not be worth it if I am not going to benefit from taking this drug for 5 years. My bc tumor was 1.4cm, stage1 upgraded to stage 2 with cells in 1 sentinel node. Her2 positive (3.1 amplified), clear margins, IDC.
Is anyone out here weakly er/pr positive but her2 positive that is receiving Herceptin but not taking a Aromotose Inhibitor?
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Jean

Some information....

Adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor–positive breast cancer should include an aromatase inhibitor in order to lower the risk of tumor recurrence. Aromatase inhibitors are appropriate as initial treatment for women with contraindications to tamoxifen. For all other postmenopausal women, treatment options include 5 years of aromatase inhibitors treatment or sequential therapy consisting of tamoxifen (for either 2 to 3 years or 5 years) followed by aromatase inhibitors for 2 to 3, or 5 years. (American Society of Clinical Oncology [ASCO] guidelines include narrative rankings) (ASCO)

http://www.qualitymeasures.ahrq.gov/...1&doc_id=12039

I think you have to be ER positive by 4% to be considered for AI...but I am not sure...Becky knows much on this....
I am sure she can offer some solid advice.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Debra

I too don't get it either.

I am 17% Est. and 15% prog. I would guess that too is considered weak. Neither one of my two oncologists questioned going on an AI. I even had a hysterectomy at the age of 41 in order to be on an AI rather then tamoxifen.
I hope maybe you find some insight so I can learn as well. I have oftened wondered if I really should be on it as well.
Thanks for posting a great question.

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Becky

I believe that for women who are weakly positive for both the estrogen and progesterone receptors, taking an antihormonal at least while still on Herceptin therapy, is highly beneficial. The Herceptin takes away the ability of the Her2 receptor's activity and the AI (or Tamoxifen) takes away the ability of the hormone receptors.

Women who are weakly positive for both E and P should understand that (in the case above) 15% of the cells are positive for the hormone receptors and 85% are not. If you shutdown Her2, then the other line could "take over" and be the predominant line and then you aren't doing anything about it. Even if you were only weakly positive for ER, I would still take an antihormonal drug. If weakly positive only for PR - there is not any data on that so alot of investigation may be needed.

Secondly, taking an antihormonal will and does prevent the formation of totally new breast cancers and even if you had a double masectomy, there is always a little breast tissue.

The best chance of beating bc is to do everything at your disposal and being at least alittle positive, especially on both E and P makes you a good candidate for an anti-hormonal treatment (and ESPECIALLY while still taking Herceptin).

Please realize this is only my opinion based on my research and talking to my doctors but I believe - shut those suckers down!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote