HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Grace

Advice, please, re bleeding.

The worse thing for me about having breast cancer is that now when anything else happens that I would have taken lightly I think "cancer." I hope a day will come when I can stop doing this.

Anyway, yesterday, I had bleeding after urinating, noticeable bleeding, and immediately thought bladder or kidney cancer. I took some Uristat last night and it seems to be better--no bleeding and just a little burning, so it probably is a urinary tract infection (UTI) although the symptoms seem somewhat different from past incidences of UTI--less severe. Has anyone out there had this problem; I'm still on herceptin but nothing else at the moment other than normal drugs: high blood pressure, thyroid, reflux, and one baby aspirin. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
suzan w

Hi Grace! It does sound like a UTI to me...but I'm not a doctor so you should probably at least make a phone call!!! I had a little bleeding when I first started Herceptin and Arimidex but it did not last long and it was a listed side effect. I sure do know what you mean about worrying about every little thing...having cancer sure has stolen away my innocence! Hope everything is OK!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Becky

Welcome to my world. It has not been as bad after Herceptin therapy was over but it is a matter of course for some of us (especially if pre or perimenopausal before chemo) as rapid decline of estrogen is the main cause of UTIs.

I have had bleeding with (practically) no other symptoms. You should see your PCP (primary care) for some Cipro or Augmentin as it will only get worse. I took Macrobid 100 as a preventative as I had 5 UTIs within 7 months.

Although uncomfortable, it is a UTI, needs antibiotics but is NOT cancer or a recurrence.

I hope this helps.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Caroline UK

Hi Grace,

I know what you mean - I've had a cough and tender ribs and tried to stay logical about it, but didn't always manage it. (Chest x-ray put my mind at rest last week). I was diagnosed a year ago, like you, and I hope that gradually we'll be able to think more calmly and rationally about our aches and pains.

About the bleeding, I'm sure you're going to get it checked out by your doctor, and as it burns a little it does sound like a UTI. But another thought I had was that I was wondering if the aspirin might be thinning your blood a bit excessively at the moment. As you're on high blood pressure medication, I'm guessing you probably take the aspirin to reduce the risk of stroke/cardiac problems?
Let us know how you get on. I'm also guessing you've heard of drinking cranberry juice to help fight UTI's.
Best wishes
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Grace

Thank You, All

This is a wonderful board for seeking, and getting, reassurance. My GYN just returned my call and is prescribing Cipro just in case it's a UTI, which I think it is from what you have all written, but I also have an appointment next week. In October, I had my last pap and a vaginal sonogram and all was fine, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is, indeed, my old nemesis. I used to get these so often when I was young that I knew immediately when one was starting. But it's been at least fifteen years since my last. Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Grace

For Caroline

Caroline,

About your cough and tender ribs. I a very bad cough last week--caught some type of virus from my sister which manifested itself in a very bad cough. I had to hold my ribs together before every cough it hurt so much. I saw my oncologist last week and he wasn't concerned; I took two of my husband's pills for inflamation and the pain is gone. I still have the herceptin cough--have had it since the beginning, but I know now that the pain in the ribs was not mets or broken ribs because of radiation. Naturally, I thought of the worse before the best. So, it probably is just sore ribs. Perhaps if you have some type of anti-inflamatory medication at home, you might try that to see if there's an improvement.

And, ironically, I have been taking cranberry juice for weeks now, even before this infection, as my cardiologist suggested it for my heart. She also suggested flaxseed, which I had already been taking--lots of it every day, for HER2.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
hutchibk

Hi Grace - glad you are getting the cipro. I had the recurring UTI's each time after adding Taxol to my Herceptin. I got 3-4 of them each time. It was enough to make me want to pull my hair out... but it was already falling out, so I could. LOL. Eventually my doc prescribed Estrace cream, too, (vaginal 1% estrogen cream) to use 3-5 days a week, and it helped clear them up for good, by adding just enough estrogen to make the UT and vaginal tissues happy. He told me that it is not enough estrogen to have a detrimental systemic effect.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
msleslie

Re: Advice, please, re bleeding.

I'm so happy to find this thread. I just completed chemo#2 & on weekly herceptin. Now, I think the infamous UTI that I had with chemo#1 has returned. I will be contacting my doctor tomorrow. I really hope this doesn't occur with each treatment.
HER2neu positive, BRAC I & II negative
7/8/2010 - Lumpectomy right breast, sentinel lymph node biopsy, & port-a-cath installed on left
Stage II, Size 3.2cm, Clear Nodes, Clear Margins
8/19/2010 - Chemo begins - Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin & Tykerb all simulanteously; ALTTO trial arm 4
9/9/2010 - Chemo dose #2
9/30/2010 - Chemo dose#3
10/21/2010 - Chemo dose#4
11/11/2010 - Chemo dose#5
12/02/1010 - Chemo dose #6 - WooHoo, it is complete!
12/14/2010 - Simulation & Planning session for radiation
02/18/2011 - Completed radiation treatment (33 rounds)
08/04/2011 - Completed Herceptin & Tykerb
09/30/2013 - ultrasound guided biopsy (following annual MRI)
10/1/2013 - new cancer in left breast. 6mm discovered via MRI
10/28/2013 - bilateral mastectomy - no reconstruction
msleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
caya

Ah yes, the dreaded UTIs - I was always prone to them, and as others have stated, the loss of estrogen made it worse. Like Becky, I took Macrobid 100 mg./day as a preventative. I literally would finish a course of Cipro, be off it for about 10 days, and then have another UTI.

You can try using 100% organic virgin coconut oil - put some on your fingers and insert it - it is very soothing, totally natural, and you may find it helpful.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Lien

Ah, UTI's. The advice given is good. I have to add one thing, however. The antibiotics can cause yeast infections, which can present with similar symptoms to bacterial UTI's. So if the infection doesn't seem to clear up, try Diflucan and see if that will clear it up. It worked like a charm for me.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote