HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #26
Carol.hope

Re: Help with chemo brain

Mary L,
I do so understand your chemo brain! It sounds like mine. We are in a different category from those who had fuzzy brains during chemo and recovered within a year. I learned from my MDs and cognitive therapists that it's a kind of brain injury. You have my sincere sympathy - losing the brain you used to know is a BIG deal!

I know reading is difficult. I wrote Beyond Chemo Brain: Recovering after Surviving with attention to making it easy to read, for people like me and you. It's the book I wish I had had years before. I hate to sound like I'm advertising on this wonderful site, but other chemo brain people who've read Beyond Chemo Brain say they have benefited greatly.

How about clicking on www.BeyondChemoBrain.com and see what you think? If affording is it a question (since most of us with this long-term chemo brain injury can't earn a living), you can request that your library order it.

Again, I'll try to attach a link to the summary list of 20 Recommendations for Recovering From Chemo Brain (and I am so glad to finally be able to do things like attach a link!)

Beyond Chemo Brain lists the specific brain-supportive supplements and why/how they are needed. It does not give dosages because I am not a doctor, but for people like us, who finished chemo years ago, you just need to ask your doctor about interactions if you're on any drugs. Another book, The Better Brain Book, by Dr. David Permutter, does give dosages (and he is a doctor).

Another thing I learned recently is to make sure you are getting lots of protein in your diet, as the body needs protein to build new cells. My new oncologist recommends 50-60 grams a day, which is way more than I had been eating.

My best to you! - Carol
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20 Recommendations.pdf (60.7 KB, 102 views)

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote