HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
linn65

6 weeks since diep flap surgery

I am still feeling pain under my arm and my hand will get really cold/tingly.
I decided to put on a sports bra to help with pain. Any other ideas?
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
sarah

Re: 6 weeks since diep flap surgery

patience. it's takes longer to recover than they suggest. you will eventually be very happy but it's not easy at the beginning. and don't do too much early on, I got out of bed and walked around and my surgeon was very angry with me but I was afraid of blood clots, etc. in the US, they don't give you anything for that. In France they give you daily injections for 6 weeks. So don't do too much, be patient, it does get better although personally because of the number of lymph nodes they took out (15 and none had cancer!@!!) I still suffer. As the years go on, everything gets better (treatments and surgery and radiation, etc) and easier. I was operated on in 1999, a still primitive time!!! good luck. you will get through this but be patient.
health and happiness
sarah
Old 10-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
'lizbeth

Linn65,

Hey. I don't know about your symptoms. I have an attachment site just in front of my arm that will itch like the dickens, still.

I'm happy to hear from you. How are the girls looking? Better than a blob?
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
linn65

I really don't know what to think. I have a noticeable hard lump below my collar bone and on my rib. I don't know what's normal anymore, but this new breast feels like a toothache, and I feel like ripping it off and throwing it.

I think the pain under my arm that makes my hand tingly has to be something with the nerves firing up. I want to scream and cry because I am tired of this nagging pain.

My incision on my stomach doesn't hurt and really not a lot of swelling.

My friend and sister said to call the doctor because you can see the lump visually on my rib. I am soooooo tired of doctors and the thought or driving an hour and half to get there seems unbearable at this moment.

What is normal anyway?? .
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
sarah

I would check it out. can your friend or sister go with you and maybe make a nice day out???
better to know than to worry.
take care
health and happiness
sarah
Old 10-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
'lizbeth

Linn65,

I second Sarah. Go get the suspicious lumpiness checked out.

I can feel your unhappiness all the way to California. Its rough, and it will take time for the breast to settle. I had emergency surgery 2 days after my reconstruction - I had lost half my blood, and had a partial loss. I spent the next 3 months packing the pocket sized wound twice per day in the medial inferior portion of the breast. Then I had to wear a VAC (vacuum assisted closure) pump for 5 weeks. I was pretty squeamish, and had so much going on I didn't have time to stew about the feel of the breast. If you saw a photo of how it turned out - it was a deformed mess. I had a revision about a year later. Now it looks like a breast.

Your breast sounds uncomfortable, but it should improve over the next few months. At least you have a nice flat tummy . . . ?

Make an appointment for the lumps, and let us know what is going on.

Sending you a big hug from the West Coast.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
snolan

I had the lattissmus flap done I ended up having to go to physical therapy, (and I am a PT assistant) I was getting the tingling and shoulder impingment. I had some capsular tightness and weakness in my mid back muscles. Having surgery affects your posture causes muscles to tighten up which can all affect the mechanics of your shoulder and lead to side effects. Discuss with your Dr maybe getting a PT eval to see if they can find anything.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Yes Linn. Major pain in the arm. None in belly.

1995 tram flap is stone age but all nurses comment that my result really looks good. (In my view it doesn't match the real breast but I'm not about to lift anything or have additional surgery.)

In hospital I had cuffs that inflated and deflated all day for days (from knees to ankles) to prevent flebitis . My doc insisted I walk. And, do certain exercises! Essential to get full range of motion back.

I would third the statement above to have your doc check out your visible lumps!!

After last June's mesentery (stomach) surgery, I had lumps at the puncture sites (laporoscopy) but they disappeared and were not painful, just "of concern" to me. I thought they'd be there forever but they have dissipated.

Still have pain in my arm when I lie down. Have 3 pillows (hard, medium and soft/mushy) that I arrange and rearrange to get relief. Even have an airplane pillow I use not in the conventional way but flat against my upper back, pressing on the back of my neck, keeping the back of my head from pressing on anything. That seems to work. Pressure points I guess.

Moving, keeping oxygen and blood flow seems essential to me. When I had a slipped spinal disc that ruptured, my physiatrist said despite the pain the keep walking as lack of blood and oxygen flow (ISCHEMIA) to internal sites can actually create pain.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote