HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Midwest Alice

IBC and mushrooms

I saw this and wanted to post it here to make sure our IBC er see it. I will be looking for these mushrooms.
https://cdmrpcures.org/ocs/index.php...paper/view/577
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Faith in Him

Re: IBC and mushrooms

Thanks, Alice. I'll be looking for them too.

Love the scripture on your signature.
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Ellie F

Hi Alice
These mushrooms are difficult to find and take months to grow even in the right conditions. I used to take a supplement with reishi and shitake mushrooms in it. I will now look for reishi extract which will give us the concentated formula.
Cheers Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
Jackie07

I was given the dried mushroom pieces by a local Chinese friend after my first breast cancer surgery. She showed me how to cook it and the proper way to drink it. Her Mother survived 3 more years than doctors had predicted after being diagnosed with late stage lung cancer. The family swore by 'Reishi' (I only knew it by the name of 'Ling-chih' (miracle herb).

Then I found a pill form produced by one of the largest hospitals in Taiwan. www.cgb.com.tw I was told by a sales lady (based in New York near where one of my my relative lives) to open the capsule http://www.cgb.com.tw/j2j0/cus/cus2/pdt/pdt_kid_1_4.jsp and mix the power with a couple of once of water - thus eliminate eating the 'capsule'.

When I found the recurrence, my friends were 'stunned'. They thought the 'miracle herb' should have prevented my having cancer again. They nodded their heads after I explained to them that it was caused by the tumor not being completely resected from the lumpectomy.

What I've found is that it seems to be a very good laxative. In Chinese medicine, everything that contains ingredients that has the function of 'eliminating toxin' is considered 'cold' (as opposed to 'hot' - such as Ginseng.) I think avoiding constipation/diahrria during cancer treatment (or treatment of any type of illnesses) is very important. The 'miracle mushroom' seems to be very effective in that aspect.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-20-2010 at 04:23 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
ElaineM

Wink Re: IBC and mushrooms

I use reishi, maitake and shitake in both capsule form and in dried or fresh form almost everyday. I also eat other mushrooms as much as possible.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Jackie07

Elaine, hope you don't mind my copying this article from your posting in the 'Diet and Nutrition' section. I thought I'd read something about mushroom here:

AICR ScienceNow
Volume 20
Spring 2007
Inhibiting Aromatase via Foods

Blocking the production of estrogen is a relatively new drug pathway in cancer treatment. With AICR funding, a research team is finding that everyday foods may lower estrogen production in the same way.

It was only about ten years ago that aromatase inhibitors became available to treat and prevent recurrence of breast cancer. This novel class of drugs blocks the production of aromatase, an enzyme that converts androgen to estrogen. The resulting lower amount of estrogen slows or inhibits the growth of estrogen-sensitive breast tumors. Investigating how easily accessible foods also work as aromatase inhibitors has been a major focus of the laboratory of Shiuan Chen, Ph.D., Director of the Department of Surgical Research at the City of Hope in Duarte, California.

Initially, Dr. Chen and his colleagues found that a group of phytochemicals called procyanidin B dimer - part of the polyphenol family - were potent inhibitors of aromatase. Knowing that grape seeds are a rich source of procyanidin B, the researchers tested the aromatase-inhibiting ability of 13 brands of grape seed extracts. A series of both cell and animal studies found that 10 of the brands showed at least 80 percent inhibition of aromatase. "These findings encouraged us to screen a variety of vegetables to identify dietary sources for aromatase inhibitors," Dr. Chen says.

With funding from AICR, Dr. Chen tested seven vegetable extracts and found white button mushroom extract was most effective at preventing the production of aromatase. That led to investigating other mushroom varieties. Cell studies showed that shiitake, portabello, crimini and baby button mushrooms also had the ability to inhibit aromatase activity. Dr. Chen's group decided to proceed with white button mushrooms, because they are easily available in all seasons and cost less than other mushroom varieties.

Dr. Chen determined the active chemicals in each of the tested foods that inhibit estrogen production and identified the effective dosage.

For instance, in white button mushrooms he and his colleagues have pinpointed conjugated linoleic acid as having the key anti-aromatase effect in breast cancer cells. "Elucidating the mechanisms used in suppressing aromatase activity can contribute to designing prevention strategies that inhibit the aromatase in cancer cells, while maintaining estrogen levels in normal tissues," Dr. Chen notes.

Testing in Humans Beginning
Dr. Chen's research has laid the groundwork for human studies, and he has teamed up with oncologists at City of Hope to conduct clinical trials. "We've seen what happens in the test tube and in animals, and now we want to know whether this happens in people, and the effects of different dosages," he notes.

Already under way is a Phase I prevention trial to test the effect of four different concentrations of grape seed extract on estrogen suppression in women with risk factors for breast cancer. The trial is enrolling 24 women, ages 40 to 65, who will be divided into four groups. For 12 weeks, women in each group will consume a different amount of grape seed extract, ranging from a daily dose of 50 mg to 300 mg. Researchers will collect blood samples weekly. The goal of the trial is to determine the level of estrogen suppression in each group.

Next Target: Prostate Cancer
In addition to the aromatase-inhibiting properties of the mushrooms, Dr. Chen found that the fungi contain phytochemicals that suppress the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase. Prior research has found 5-alpha-reductase plays a role in the development of prostate cancer. With another grant from AICR, Dr. Chen is testing how different dosages of white button mushroom extract affect the development of prostate tumors in mice.

Early results have shown the mushrooms are effective in suppressing growth of prostate cancer, and Dr. Chen is working with clinical oncologists to plan Phase I trials in humans. "An effective cancer preventive agent should not significantly alter quality of life, and needs to be safe," Dr. Chen says, adding that both grape seeds and mushrooms are also inexpensive and therefore more readily available to underserved populations.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 09-13-2010 at 04:56 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
ElaineM

I don't mind at all. Whatever we can eat to help ourselves is a good thing. There are many beneficial foods, including mushrooms.
The doctors can only do so much. It is our responsibility to take care of ourselves the best way we know how 24/7. Eating healthy is one way to do that.
14 Year Survivor
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Old 09-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
maouno

I've read about chaga mushrooms from Siberia. Some kinds of mushrooms are better than other ones. but may be this one is really the best? Who knows more about this mushroom?
Other side, new case, lumpectomy 8 aug 2008: 1 cm, no nodes. Postmeno. Er+Pr-Her2+++
Oncotest high risk, Muga 51, port placed Dec. 2008, chemo CMF started 18 nov during 6 months , 6 rounds of two treatments. Finished rads April 2009, started Herceptin late: 10 Sept 2009. Muga 63.
Finished herceptin 5 sept 2010.Port taken out 19 oct 2010!!
maouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM
maouno
This message has been deleted by maouno.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Gavin121

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) affects at least 10 to 15% of adults. This is usually due to foods eaten, stress, anxiety, some drugs, and even hormones. People with irritable bowel syndrome may experience some or all of the following:

Diarrhea
Constipation
Gassiness
Cramps
Bloating
Nausea
Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
maouno

My experience with IBS is that Acacia powder from Heather: help for IBS.com is superior and absolutely safe.
My question with the mushrooms is that as long we have to take aromasin from the oncologist it may be have an adverse reaction when we eat these more than 2 times a week or so. I would like to take these cbg.mushroom pills, but I don't dare. After the treatment during 5 years it's another question.
Other side, new case, lumpectomy 8 aug 2008: 1 cm, no nodes. Postmeno. Er+Pr-Her2+++
Oncotest high risk, Muga 51, port placed Dec. 2008, chemo CMF started 18 nov during 6 months , 6 rounds of two treatments. Finished rads April 2009, started Herceptin late: 10 Sept 2009. Muga 63.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Butters Stotch :)

Quote:
I've read about chaga mushrooms from Siberia. Some kinds of mushrooms are better than other ones. but may be this one is really the best? Who knows more about this mushroom?
Some people think that chaga can treat. I saw that chaga costs in US and Canada about 50$. In Russia it costs 1$. I will be glad to make a present of it to all who wants to taste it. But the delivery is too expensive. Maybe some travellers can convey it, or a stewardess or...
Butters Stotch :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
ElaineM

That is both very interesting and very kind of you. Thank you for introducing us to a new kind of mushroom.
If you can get some perhaps you should enjoy some Butters Stotch.
Perhaps Chuga mushrooms might grow in climates that are similar to the climate where they grow in Russia. It might be available for purchase in other countries. It might also be know by other names in some countries.
Since I never heard of it I was very curious and I found some information about Chuga mushrooms here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaga_mushroom
In general many kinds of mushrooms seem to have beneficial health properties. I am going to ask my naturopathic physician if he has ever heard of it.
Perhaps our resident dietician, Tanya has some information she can share with us about it.
Take good care of yourself.
14 Year Survivor
Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
maouno

I'm curious if your naturopathic physician knows something about the mushroom.