HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #21
Dakini52

Re: Hello from Colorado

Thanks for the info on the Hepa filter. I will have to do some shopping around and see what I can find that might help with my breathing. I also have a couple of cats that I dearly love but I know I have some allergies to them.
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #22
Dakini52

Amy, exactly what type of air purifier did you get?
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Old 10-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #23
StephN

Wink Re: Hello from Colorado

Great to hear that you are doing better in your new climate! And blood levels are doing so well.
If you have a basement, you may want to get some of those Dri-beads that take in moisture. People use them on boats around here or when there is a water leak. They are available at most any hardware store.

Dakini - maybe this would be a good option for you since you live in the same climate I do. Having forced air gas heat in our house works well at controlling mildew and molds.

Cleaning chemicals do not agree with me either.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #24
Dakini52

Hi Steph. I do have central gas heat and it is great for this climate.

Debbie K
Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #25
Mtngrl

I don't want to appear to be promoting products, but I guess by now everyone knows I'm for real. This is the purifier I got. I love it.
http://www.oreck.com/airinstinct-200...151008015320:s

Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #26
Dakini52

Thanks Amy. I will check it out.
Debbie

Debbie K
Old 11-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #27
KatherineM

Hey, Amy! Glad to hear about your move. And hello to Lizz, too. It's been a long time! I was on just H&P alone for the last three months, (after a summer of Taxol plus H&P, which shrunk the lung mets by 50%). Had hoped that H&P would work, but last week's CT scan showed progression. Going back on Taxol plus H&P tomorrow. Scared, but I guess it was sort of a crap shoot that I'd be okay without chemo. My thinking is -- and would love any thoughts on this -- that it's better to stay on the same treatment for as long as you can, before moving on to another. My onc. originally wanted to put me on Kadcyla, but I'd rather go back on the taxol, if that worked originally. I'm doing lots with diet and yoga, and have been feeling pretty good, but I'm a little thrown by this new development.

Anyway, I have a lot to be grateful for. Kids coming for Thanksgiving. Dogs are sweet. Partner is incredibly supportive. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!

xo,

Katherine
Started TCHP 4/25/14 - 6 rounds
Oncologist can no longer feel tumor, after 4th round
Chemo shrunk tumor to less than a mm
Lumpectomy and axillary node dissection 9/3/14
Radiation for 5 weeks, with boost
Herceptin until 4/3/15
CT Scan on 4/27 shows lung mets (lots of little ones on both sides, largest 1.6 cm) STAGE IV
Lung biopsy shows still HER2+++/ER-/PR-
Taxol with Herceptin and Perjeta May, June, July 2015
Lung mets reduced by 50%
Just H&P through Fall 2015
11/15 Progression
Back on Taxol with H&P January 2016
THP no longer working March 2016
Start Kadcyla 3/16 After first treatment, experienced low platelets, tongue turned black, had to have transfusion. Dry cough and shortness of breath for first week, improves over second and third.
4/16 Platelet transfusion after second treatment, blood blisters in mouth. Allergic reaction to platelets.
6/16 Kadcyla not working. Progression to liver, though lung mets smaller.
7/16 Start Xeloda and Tykerb.
11/16 Port infected. Taken out. Have to go off chemo.
1/17 Back on Xeloda and Tykerb
5/17 Tykerb and Herceptin
11/17 Navelbine and Herceptin
12/17 Progression in lungs, liver reevaluated, no progression
1/18 Haloven and Herceptin
2/18 Sloan Kettering consultation
3/18 Brain mets, 16 lesions, largest 16mm
3/18 Cyberknife to 16mm lesion
3/18 Haloven and Tykerb added
4/18 Scan shows all lesions significantly smaller! Some almost gone. Radiation oncologist says she's never seen anything like it
7/18 Brain scan shows progression, w/ with one new lesion. Don't want to do WBR. Will try for tucatinib.
8.15.18 Start Keytruda
KatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #28
Mtngrl

Hi Katherine,

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Mine was wonderful. It's so great to be back home.

I had great results on my first scan after starting Abraxane, H & P. I'm still on it, hoping to eradicate the rest of the glucose-avid stuff in my lower lungs. I hope we'll see that on the next scan, because I'm getting pretty weary of side effects of Abraxane. The neuropathy in my fingers and toes makes me clumsy, and I'm getting more bumps, nicks, cuts, and stumbles. After having had exactly one UTI in my entire life before, I've now had two since August. I blame the chemo.

But all in all, things are looking up. I don't draw on eyebrows every day, but I'm getting better and making them match when I do decide to go to the trouble. I was failing at eyeliner because the H makes my eyes damp all the time. I figured out if I use a powdered/pencil liner first (putting it on with a brush) then that gives the liquid liner something to cling to. I have only a few pathetic little eyelashes left, and a few stray eyebrow hairs.

A small price to pay if this works out as hoped.

Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #29
spiritualabundance

So great to hear such positive words and such hope. Good for you and good luck to you in your (re)new(ed) home! God bless!
8/7/2015-Needle aspiration u/s biopsy. Doctor indicated looked malignant. (thanks doc!! the wait after that sucked)
8/20/2015-Diagnosed w ER+,PR+,HER2+ BC in L breast (now 46 years young.)
9/24/2015-Saw first surgeon, referred by oncologist. Great guy. Office staff not advocates.
10/12/2015-Met w Plastic Surgeon. Amazing doctor. Recommended not immediate due to chemo and 'just get the cancer out first' attitude. Will do recon with him after chemo is complete.
10/12/2015-Called first surgeon's office who told me that it's been too long since the first consult and will need to schedule another consult on 10/24 and then schedule surgery within 2-3 AFTER that date. (BITE ME)
10/12-Found a new surgeon.
10/15-Consulted with new FEMALE surgeon. She was AMAZING! Asked me if I wanted to do the surgery on Monday (in 5 days). Stunned and thrilled!!
10/26/15-Surgery for bilateral mastectomy, port placed, and 3 nodes removed for SNB. 3 drains installed.
10/28/15-home from the hospital to recover.
10/30/2015-Follow up with surgeon. Drains removed. Was told tumor was removed but had more than doubled in size from 1.3 to 2.9cm. 3 nodes removed, all negative. Healthy breast was clear but several suspicious areas on affected left breast. Looks to be Stage 2A. Oncologist appt next week.
11/5/2015-Follow up with oncologist. Planning to start chemotherapy (Herceptin, Taxotere, and Carboplatin together beginning November 30th). Very nervous about side effects, low white blood count, anemia, steriods, etc, etc, etc. I'm not usually one to medicate myself for anything. Not ready for this. Kinda scared.
11/30/2015 - Isaiah 41:10 today for sure. Today was my first day (round) of TCH chemo treatment. Before receiving the cocktail, I saw the doctor who delivered the news that my CT scans (abdomen, chest, and pelvis were all clear). Praise God!! Feeling okay right now after chemo, just a bit sleepy. We'll see how the Neulasta, along with the other effects, rear their lovely heads over the next few days. Prayers please, as always.
12/17/2015-Decided it was time to shave my head and face the music.
1/11/2016-Went in for 3rd treatment. UGG. Spoke to the doctor first. Asked him to reduce the Decadron. Agreed! From 10mg to 4mg dosage. YAY! It still worked and I was able to rest and live. Praise God. I jokingly told him if he felt like dropping some of my treatment, to feel free. Guess what?! He agreed! Agreed to drop my 6th treatment meaning that I now only have 2 left and in March I'll be able to begin the reconstruction process. Additionally, he agreed to schedule me for a brain MRI to just double check for any spread. Anxiously awaiting.
spiritualabundance is offline   Reply With Quote