HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
theresaw

Wink Has Anyone.......

Hello my Sisters,
I have a question....I recently started my period after not having one for a 1 1/2yrs. Needless to say I was just getting used to not having one, anyway my question is has anyone gotten pregnant after having chemo and their period coming back. I having had to think about birth control for a while and now my husbankd and I have to start thinking of protection. What happened to all the eggs that where put on hold? ya know..just wondering. I am 43yrs old and my youngest is 14. Just wondering...
Thanks
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
LAURIE

I used to never had periods. Maybe two a year, if that. My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for years, (tried fertility too) and then I found the lump. A week after my first chemo and I had a period. All through A/C I was regular. During Taxol they stopped. Since chemo ended I have been regular every month. I talked to my onc last week and he can't explain the change. For me chemo may have cured my infertility. Thats a big switch. Well I talked to my onc about getting pregnant after herceptin is done and he suggested that I wait 2 to 3 years. I told him that we will talk about that later, and that I am 37 and have to start sometime. So I am struggling with the idea of getting pregnant and bringing a child into the world with the risk of reoccurance so high. I think I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to deprive myself of one of the greatest joys in life (or so I hear) even if my life is cut short with my child, the time will be well spent. Honestly I still think I may be selfish in my thoughts. I am sure I will struggle with this forever. Whether or not a baby is in my future or not. For now, yes, protection is the way for us now. It has been tough to get used to the idea of preventing a pregnancy that we have wanted to happen for the past five years.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Vanessa

My husband has a cousin who went through chemo, I don't know what kind of cancer she had, but the doctor told her she would not be able to get pregnant again, and lo and behold, she ended up pregnant. So it definately can happen after chemo.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote