HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Lani

vitamin H and Chinese hamster ovaries

now that I have your attention-- I seem to remember that some of you affectionately refer to your herceptin as vitamin H--vitamin H unfortunately is not an endearing term for herceptin--it refers for biotin! Article is notable for lots of long technical words--but ..when I came across the Chinese hamster ovary I thought your little hamster sneaking in a little overtime!

When I happened to come across this article discussing vitamin H research involving Chinese hamster ovaries, I thought your little hamster might be sneaking in a little overtimeand thought you might be able to weave it into your Chinese hamster yarn allow it to provide a few chuckleslooks like she might be even more helpful in pharmaceuticals and therefore perhaps in line for the big bucks!)

Published online 2007 September 7. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkm466.
Copyright © 2007 The Author(s)
Vitamin H-regulated transgene expression in mammalian cells
Wilfried Weber,1 William Bacchus,1 Marie Daoud-El Baba,2 and Martin Fussenegger1*
1Institute for Chemical and Bioengineering, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang-Pauli-Strasse 10, HCI F115, CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland and 2Institut Universitaire de Technologie, IUTA, Département Génie Biologique, F-69622 Villeurbanne Cedex, France
*To whom correspondence should be addressed. Phone: +41 44 633 34 48, Fax: +41 44 633 12 34, Email: fussenegger@chem.ethz.ch
Received March 1, 2007; Revised May 24, 2007; Accepted May 28, 2007.
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/uk/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract
Although adjustable transgene expression systems are considered essential for future therapeutic and biopharmaceutical manufacturing applications, the currently available transcription control modalities all require side-effect-prone inducers such as immunosupressants, hormones and antibiotics for fine-tuning. We have designed a novel mammalian transcription-control system, which is reversibly fine-tuned by non-toxic vitamin H (also referred to as biotin). Ligation of vitamin H, by engineered Escherichia coli biotin ligase (BirA), to a synthetic biotinylation signal fused to the tetracycline-dependent transactivator (tTA), enables heterodimerization of tTA to a streptavidin-linked transrepressor domain (KRAB), thereby abolishing tTA-mediated transactivation of specific target promoters. As heterodimerization of tTA to KRAB is ultimately conditional upon the presence of vitamin H, the system is vitamin H responsive. Transgenic Chinese hamster ovary cells, engineered for vitamin H-responsive gene expression, showed high-level, adjustable and reversible production of a human model glycoprotein in bench-scale culture systems, bioreactor-based biopharmaceutical manufacturing scenarios, and after implantation into mice. The vitamin H-responsive expression systems showed unique band pass filter-like regulation features characterized by high-level expression at low (0–2 nM biotin), maximum repression at intermediate (100–1000 nM biotin), and high-level expression at increased (>100 000 nM biotin) biotin concentrations. Sequential ON-to-OFF-to-ON, ON-to-OFF and OFF-to-ON expression profiles with graded expression transitions can all be achieved by simply increasing the level of a single inducer molecule without exchanging the culture medium. These novel expression characteristics mediated by an FDA-licensed inducer may foster advances in therapeutic cell engineering and manufacturing of difficult-to-produce protein therapeutics.
Articles from Nucleic Acids Research are provided here courtesy of
Oxford University Press
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Talking Vitamin H & Cho

Come again. In English please. So we can have a shot at weaving our CHO yarn a bit further... This has become a most enjoyable pastime for those of us seeking to keep our mind off bc and amuse ourselves, and others, while doing so. Chuckles are always needed.
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
PinkGirl

Talking you absolutely got MY attention....

Wow, you mean little teeny, tiny Tiptoe was making
biotin right before my eyes and I didn't see it?
She didn't say a thing about it to me.

In spite of all the BIG words, I read enough to make
me worried about Tip. Perhaps she will need a body
guard. She's not giving up her biotin without a fight.
Keep a close eye on her Faux. Maybe we should re-
think the San Antonio conference with all those Genentech
people. Tip is on vacation..........no surgery of any kind...
no oophorectomy for my Tippy.

Endearing: lovable, ingratiating, likely to win one's affection.
I think Vitamin H is an endearing term for Herceptin.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink There's a B7 aka Coenzyme R... Which I call Vit H!

I love my Vitamin H, no matter what! It saved my blessed life, for goodness sakes! H is the best letter in the alphabet. Biotin - Wikipedia Biotin, also known as vitamin H -- or -- B7! Go know. Has the chemical formula C10H16N2O3S (Biotin; Coenzyme R, Biopeiderm), is a water-soluble B-complex vitamin which is important in the catalysis of essential metabolic reactions to synthesize fatty acids, in gluconeogenesis, and to metabolize leucine.
I take Biotin -- for hair and nails. Doesn't really work for that. Well, maybe. Suppose my hair could be even thinner and more frail. Same goes for my nails.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote