HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
aaklwalker

Working vs. Leave of Absence

I would like input from those of you who were in high stress jobs during treatment. Did you continue to work? Did you take a leave of absence? If you took a leave of absence was it difficult to adjust? Do you feel it helped your recovery to take a leave?
aaklwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Esther

Are you asking about the time period when you are diagnosed and treated for primary BC?

I was in a very people oriented field, in a 6 figure career. I took a year off to go through chemo, surgery and reconstruction. I never regretted it, it would have been difficult to deal with it and continue to work.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Belinda

Hi there

I have a 6-figure high stress job, managing people with a lot of political exposure. I have tried to work on 'good' days but find it hard to restrict the effort required so I don't get tired, feel the pressure of deadlines and the pressure to reschedule appointments...it's an impossible job to do within normal working hours, let alone on a part-time or flexible basis. My boss has been great, willing to try and work hours etc around me but it just isn't working out for me. Last chemo cycle, as soon as I felt like I was having a good week I came down with a debilitating cold - didn't go in that cycle at all. So I am about to put the forms in to claim income protection insurance (glad I have it - for up to 2 yrs) and to let work know they are going to need to let me have leave for at least 1 year and fin d a replaceemnt for that time. Breaks my heart because I have worked Soooo hard to learn the skills and gain the experiences I have. But I need the time to rest and recover, and focus on m family and making the best of this unwelcome journey...

Bx
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Grace

You might consider working parttime, if you can get your employer to agree, with you making the decision when you work and when you stay home. I know for sure there were days when I could barely get out of bed, so work would have been impossible. However, I work from home and have often thought I would have been better off if I had somewhere to go on the days I was well. Otherwise, one gets rather consumed by the whole thing. But for sure you'll need some time at home, unless you have one of those miracle constitutions. I hope you do.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
MichelleMoon

Everyone is different, but...

I kept working full time plus during my first episode of BC. I only missed time for chemo every 3 weeks and daily radiation. I scheduled all this to be as minimally invasive to my job/family as possible. I NEEDED this outlet! Feeling some sense of normalcy kept me sane.

Now, for my current Stage IV situation I have taken more time off. The fatigue with radiation really took it's toll on me. It was very hard to admit that the treatment got me down, nonetheless the extra rest is what my body needs. Listen to your body!

Best of luck with your decision.

Stage 2 '99, triple negative, 5 nodes involved
mastectomy, AC + T, rads, '01 TRAM flap
Stage 4 '06, lung mets, ER/PR-, HER2++
07/06 - 11/06: Taxol + Herceptin to 'strong partial remission'
11/06: Herceptin every 3 weeks indefinitely
01/07: brain mets, finished WBR, NED in head!
04/07: Xeloda and Tykerb for lung met progression
MichelleMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
ExpectAMiracle

I am currently on medical leave from my job. Started my leave the day of my lumpectomy and I just started chemo this week. I have worked for 23+ years for my employer and truly missing being there. But I have a job that requires lots of concentration and right now, I just don't have it. I plan to see how I feel as chemo continues and then decide when to go back. Currently, I will stay out until I complete chemo, at the end of June unless it's a "piece of cake". I'll be having rads and continuing Herceptin once I return to work.

It's a tough decision - I just feel that since I am able to be off, right now I need to concentrate on getting well so I will be 100% when I am able to return.

God bless you in your decision making process.

Determined to be a VICTOR not VICTIM - by the grace of God!
DX 2/8/07 at 48
1.75 cm IDC in left breast, Stage 1
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Lumpectomy 3/7/07, 5/5 nodes clear, clear margins
Starting TCH on 4/9/07, every 3 weeks X 4 treatments - Completed on 6/12/2007
33 rads to began 7/2/07 and completed on 8/22/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until April '08
ExpectAMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Mary Jo

Surgery, chemo, rads affect each of us differently. I chose to work throughout it all and thankfully my body cooperated with my decision. I work in a 4 year old kindergarten. I serve approximately 125 - 4 year olds breakfast and about 130 - 4 year olds lunch. I deliver all meals to each individual classroom. That is a trip to 18 different classrooms to bring the food - then bring the milk and then pick up at the end. It makes for about 5 miles a day just at work. I work 5 hours a day, 4 days a week. No 4 year old kindergarten on Weds., so that is my day off. My job and being able to continue working it throughout treatment was definitely a gift from God to me . God knew sitting around the house thinking would NOT have done me any good at all.

I had chemo every other Wed. (dose dense regimen) so that couldn't have worked out better for me with that being my day off. I would take off the Thurs., and Fri. after a chemo treatment though and was USUALLY ready for work on that following Monday. Also, I exercised throughout most of my chemo (usually a 2 mile powerwalk each day) and I must say I believe that benefited me tremendously.

But, as I said earlier, we all respond differently to it all. Whatever you decide will be what's best for you and will work out well for you also.

Hugs and love,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
gumoore

I am much like Michelle, I have kept working full-time. My only time off was chemo week (every 3rd week) to deal with side effects, and I went to work each morning after my radiation treatments.

Part of me has wanted "normal", but mostly I NEEDED work to help me through, provide a distraction. It has given me the opportunity to cope with the diagnosis and treatments without getting overwhelmed or too depressed.

After surgery, however, I will be taking time for me.

I do agree that it's the individual, and not the job that should dictate what you do or don't for work.

Good luck!
God bless.
IBC dx August 9/06
ER/PR +2

HER2/neu +

chemo August 11/06 - January 8/07

herceptin - 17 treatments, every 3 wks - end Jan 2008

IMRT rads 5 weeks

surgery May 1/07 bilateral mastectomy (left modified radical, right simple)
prophylactic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy March 2008
letrozole, 2.5 mg daily, start June 2008
lymphedema, left arm, April 2008
osteoporosis, lower spine, August 2010 - fosamax 70 mg

gumoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Becky

I work a high powered 6 figure job too. I worked through it all but worked from home some days. Of course most of you know I travel alot in my job but I didn't then so I had clipped wings for about 7 months. This helped as it is the trying and tiring part of my job. My boss was great with me to let me work from home and even encouraged it (as it was the year where there was no flu shots readily available and I had chemo in the fall and winter).

Many times I was hunkered in bed with my trusty computer but I really felt it gave me something to do that was important to my family's well being (because at the time, my husband was a stay at home parent) so I felt very responsible at being able to ensure keeping my job (even though that never would have been an issue).

In the end, this is a very indivual decision.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #10
Sheila

I was forced to give up a 6 figure job to have continuity with 1 oncologist. My job involved traveling and working in other states, sometimes for a period of months even a year...the job would pay for me to fly home once a month, but the fact that I am on Herceptin and on and off Xeloda, I had to make a decision as to staying with one oncologist, or job shopping each time....I decided my health came first, and being that I was stage IV, I received SSD with no problem.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #11
janet11

I worked, but have a job where I could work from home with my manager's support, and that worked fine. BUT, I will admit: I wasn't as effective as normal. But my boss was so delighted that I got as much done as I did, it really helped. And it gave me a good distraction from treatment.

However, I'm lucky that my job is 100% sitting down at a computer. I work with many people, but they are in several countries/states, so I NORMALLY work with them online or via phone. Working at home doesn't change that. And I'll admit I missed more days than I wanted to (or expected to). I probably was off a total of 6 weeks during my 6 cycles of TCH.

Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote