HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
RhondaH

Smile ***What to bring to chemo***

Hazel Joyce asked the question above as she will be starting chemo soon and I thought this was a valid question and that everyone could provide input. I had chemo on Thur pm. The below was my "checklist"

1. I would wear a long sleeve button down shirt so the nurse could easily access my port.

2. I would bring a HUGE 64 oz bottle of water to drink during chemo (the iv ALREADY made you have to go to the bathroom constantly and this made it worse, but I heard it helps to flush the chemo, BUT I also found out from my onc nurse AND the hard way that water can cause nausea so BE CAREFUL).

3. I slept during mine or visited with the other patients.

Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
doh2pa
Deceased

I agree with Rhonda - an easy access shirt and lots of water. I also bring a blanket (unless one is provided) and some snack food. They premeds can make you hungry - so I bring raisins, granola bar and lunch if needed. A good book and maybe some music to listen too. But the best thing to bring is a good friend, if you can! I hated chemo day but cherished my girl friend time. I had 3 friends that rotated taking me to 18 chemo treatments and they loved taking time from their busy schedules to be with me - we talked, laughed and caught up on our busy lives. It makes the time much easier.

Good luck!
Donna
Mastectomy 4/04 - 4 rounds AC
9/05 - mets to liver treated with carbo/ixabipelone/herceptin
3/06 - complete remission
9/06 - new liver mets, starting Taxotere/Herceptin
1/07 -Liver mets stable, staying on Herceptin
5/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting T/X
12/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting weekly Navilbene/Herceptin
4/08 - Liver progression - started Abraxane, Carbo, Tykerb and Herceptin
7/08 - Liver Progression - started Gemzar, Avastin and Tykerb
10/08 - Liver progression - starting Doxil
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Sandy H

I wore a long sleeve button down blouse, and I was provided with plenty of water or anything I wanted to drink. I would bring my crocheting with me, I made scarves and sold them at the church Christmas fair. We have laptops in the oncology department so would do my daily computer e-mail. It saved me from doing it when I got home. There were plenty of warm blankets so no need to take anything to keep warm. Lunch was always available so didn't have to worry about food except on certain days. I don't care to eat lots of fried foods so would bring a sandwich but that was my choice. I would spend lots of time walking around talking to other patients. I made lots of new friends that way. We all try to get together from time to time for lunch which I also include my other breast cancer survivor friends. We never know how many of us there will be for lunch. I just call them all and invite them. Even though I hated those chemo treatments I made the best of what time I was there. Many people did sleep but where I drank so much water that also kept me from sleeping. I got my benadryl orally and so it didn't hit me hard. I had it just once by IV and never want it that way again. It hit me so fast my head pounded for two days. I was in the bathroom when it kicked in and thought I was going to land on the floor. I asked the nurse why I was feeling that way and she told me it was the IV benadryl. The doctor said he never ordered it to be given to me that way. So back on the oral I went. It was the third day following chemo I didn't like so would plan on a lazy of not doing much. That's my story and I wish you well. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Becky

I didn't have a port so I wore a short sleave shirt or one that I could push the sleeve up on. I always brought a book, my blackberry and an electronic Yahtzee. I usually also brought magazines I wanted to catch up on. But, most importantly for my chemos, first 3 Herceptins and last Herceptin, I brought my best friend Janet. She missed a chemo (the first Taxol) because she had a bad cold but otherwise, she was my chemosabe. (I also brought a water bottle but we made lots of different teas there). My husband brought us a nice lunch from a good deli on the taxols (as you are there so long - longer now that most get Herceptin too - I got it after chemo).

I met a lot of great people in the infusion suite. During Herceptin treatments (most without Janet), I talked to many (women) and learned a lot about life and love.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
Bev

Brought a portable DVD player. As I don't watch many movies, watching them was a treat and took my mind off the chemo. Lots of people sleep but the benadryl made me wired. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
RhondaH

Smile Becky...

Ironic that you mentioned your friend as your "chemosabe" as my fathers lady friend who is a 3 time bc survivor has a group of bc friends that she gets together with called the "Chemosabe's". Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
KRISS

I take all the water and even a little K20 protien drink, music and book. But the best thing is the portable DVD player. All my friends are lending me their favorite movies. I am getting quite the diverse movie library. My player has 2 head sets so I can even share. Kriss
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Colleen007

The DVD player is a must. With 2 small kids at home, we can never stay awake if we rent movies, so my chemo days are like "dates" with my husband. We bring lunch and watch the movie together. I also bring blank thank you note cards so I can catch up on thanking all of the people who continue to do things for us (like watch the kids during appointments or make us dinner on treatment days). My husband has been to every appointment and is always there to take notes. I also make sure I wear either a button down shirt or a half-zip sweatshirt so the nurse has easy access to my port. As Sandy said above, make the most of the time you are there and before you know it, you will have conquered another treatment and it will be time to go home.
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
LAURIE

Here my checklist for my emotions and feelings on the first day of chemo especially.

1) know that it is okay to cry, and to be nervous.
2) bring a friend or loved one
3) prepare to feel dizzy, each time they change a bag ask what it is, so you know how each med makes you feel for next time. (tell your nurse to slow it down, if you get too dizzy)
4) expect to NOT throw up. the chances are you will not. I did feel sick right before the needle goes in. That is just your nerves. Take a deep breath.
5) Seek out the newbie chair. Usually the one in the corner, that is private. I have noticed that newbies in my office go to one of the two chairs in the corner.
4) I chose to play my nintendo DS video game during chemo. Sometimes I got so dizzy that I just close my eyes and try to relax. (during A/C) Now the nurses can hardly find me to change my bag. I get up and talk to others, go the bathroom, etc.. It is also a good time to get things done like: thank you's, birthday cards for the whole year, etc... But don't beat yourself up if you just want to do nothing.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Stephanie B.

Talking

I took crossword puzzles and magazines. They usually have magazines in the office, but you find that you have read them all and have nothing. My onc office has a tv and videos available to watch. Bring cold water and/or ice chips - this can help you avoid the mouth sores. I always found myself hungry so I would bring snacks - crackers, cookies etc. If blankets and pillows aren't provided (they usually are) bring one. It always seems to be cold in the office to me. I also use the pillow on my lap to read and do the crossword puzzles. IF you can, talk to someone a step or two ahead of you in the process to see what they felt and what to expect. Before you know it you will be the one giving the advice.

Good luck

Stephanie
Stephanie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
dawbs

I found the Phenergan made me too sleepy to read, but I couldn't sleep in the chair, even reclined, and I'd just get terribly restless and uncomfortable. So I started to do crosswords and sudoku to stay awake, and it helped with the restless legs too. Now I'm addicted! But maybe that's a good thing, as I heard that puzzles are good to fight off the chemobrain and prevent dementia.

Vicki
dawbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
janet11

I bring audio books in my CD player and listen. I like to read, but this let me bring a favorite book to listen to and I didn't have to keep my eyes open. Half the time, I'd fall asleep during the premeds anyway, so I tended to bring books I've read so I know the basic story.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
MGordon

Not for everyone...

Lisa had such a gregarious personality - she TALKED. She got to know all of her Onc Nurses and fellow patients, always respectfully of those wanting privacy, but through her outgoing nature she bonded with these people and allowed them to touch her life. It was amazing how much people in the entire treatment room opened up - and I found out that her reputation grew - as patients started rescheduling their chemo days to have thier chemo while Lisa was there! Of course she was they EVERY week and Thursdays became THE day to have treatment. Many a Thursday I was sent scampering to local stores to buy licorce or some other snack that someone wanted and the facility was out of - just to come back and run out for something else. Not complaining - I LOVED IT!

She talked with teenagers concerned about hair loss and how to deal with mouth sores (they all used to bury their noses in their DVD players) - people her age about friends/family & grandchildren - I think she knew the names and birthdates of every member of every Onc nurses family - and loved to sit down and hold hands and talked with her elders to help alleviate fear and anxiety.

I know it is not for everyone, but don't be afraid to open up, touch, and be touched!

So what to take to the chemo room - YOU - and your "I am going beat this" attitude!

Love and Light
Mel
Old 01-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
juanita

I always took books and magazines, but never read them because everybody always sat and talked. The benadryl made my legs jumpy and everybody knew when it was kicking in and they teased me about it. I also took snacks and bottled water with me. There was one time someone sitting with one of the other patients went to get her friend something to eat and brought everyone back something. Very nice people!
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
bobbiw

I took my husband and a cribbage board....I tend to think that he took advantage of me(and the drugs I was on) and that is why he always won the games! LOL.

Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
skeetur

When I had one back surgery 2 years ago, my hubby and I were laughing in the pre-op area. We were thumbwrestling. Here I was going in for surgery... my first ever... and being the competitive sort he is... he wouldn't let me win. Pfffft to him! LOL. I've had 4 other surgeries since then and still... no dice. Another surgery Tuesday for the BC, perhaps I'll play the "cancer card" as I call it and get my way... Hmmm...

Skeetur
skeetur is offline   Reply With Quote