Old 02-05-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
janelle

Sheila,

I feel the same as you!

Hugs,
janelle
Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
shelley

Thank you all so much for replying to my post and giving me some encouragement. It's awful that we have to go through this but it's nice to have others who have been there and can relate. I'll keep you posted on my tests.

Hugs,

shelley
Old 08-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
karyn

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I have printed them out and given them to my mom. This is a reccurance, so Navelbine could be an option, but I am scared to have my mom switch too many times, as I don't want her to run out of chemo options, although I don't want her to continue feeling the way she is. We are going to go to the clinic this morning and have her blood tested. Before every chemo she does get her blood tested, and it ends up being perfect- but we are wondering if its the steriods which effect it. Being in Canada, its hard to switch clinics- although there are many times we would like to. The hospital we go to is right around the corner from my mom's house and apparently the dr we are using is one of the best (although he seems to be on vacation a lot). We have talked about switching hospitals, but my mom is comfortable where she is. I think one of the main issues right now is that the nurse who was over-seeing my mom's care has just retired, and the new nurse doesn't seem to know as much. Oh well. I just want to figure out what is wrong with my mom and get her some of her energy back. On a side note, I am having a baby next month (my mom's first grandchild) and I really would like her there. She has been quite upset lately as if she is feeling the way she is feeling, she won't be able to. We will deal with that when it happens.

Thanks again everyone

Karyn
Old 08-08-2004, 10:42 PM   #4
celina

Karyn,
Where are you in Canada?
I would have to agree with most of the responses. My sister has had periods of severe weakness and fatigue. At her weakest, she has been given blood transfusions...and they help tremendously. Also, as mentioned, there are several drugs to help regulate blood counts. My sister is starting one on Wednesday: Asep (not sure of the spelling). It takes about four weeks to "kick in", but she's been told that she will feel a huge difference. It is also given by weekly injection. The bottom line is that fatigue and weakness are quite common especially with a recurrance...another round of chemo. But if this combination is working for her I don't see a reason to switch..maybe keep some options open for later IF she needs them?
Good luck to your mom and congratulations on the upcoming birth of your first child....this will, no doubt, bring light to your mom's situation!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:36 AM   #5
Lolly

Karyn, you're welcome, any help we can give! And the best part is, it's free
On a side note, regarding using up chemo options; I didn't know this until my second recurrence this year, but sometimes they can re-use a chemo if enough time has gone by since the first use. I was treated with Navelbine/Herceptin for my first recurrence in 2001, and for this second recurrence my oncologist thought that since it had been over a year since I'd had it last, we should try it again, and by golly I am having a good response. Something to keep on the back burner, in case you need to bring this up later.
Love, Lolly
Old 08-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #6
Lyn

Hi Karyn, wonderful news about the baby. I know how your mum is feeling, I would never make a plan for tomorrow let alone weeks away. As to running out of options,great results have been found by adding to drugs, so if the Taxotere isn't for you mum, don't continue, it wasn't much use to me but the navelbine got rid of some stubborn lumps, we nearly always seem to find new combintions on this site, and you get the answers direct from those doing them, and usually Christine can get more info for you. My prayers are with you and your mum.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
judiek

Thanks everyone...lots of scans this week and looks like everyone had good results...let's hope this trend continues

Warmly,

Judie