HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Lani

AN ABSOLUTE FIRST (and for her2+ breast cancer!!!!)

Many of you have expressed the joy that, having been told you had a variant of breast cancer that was uncommonly aggressive and deadly, that in the very recent past it turns out that you have one of the best breast cancers to have (if you can't have the bread-and-butter breast cancer that probably needs next to no treatment) in that the researchers have something to target with antibodies, make a vaccine to, image in novel ways, look how it interacts with other pathways, etc.
Well now you can proudly say you have the distinction of having the first disease that they have developed a computer genetic model to in order to truly understand a disease, this disease. This is a FIRST in the history of all mankind--and they did it with a her2+ breast cancer cell line!!!!!!
So they will not be doing research of a type that you will be unsure if it pertains to you (although there are probably several types of her2+ breast cancer--sorry I am always the skeptic and stickler for detail--probably because I was born in Missouri, the "show-me state".

Well here it is:

J Proteome Res. 2006 Mar 3;5(3):599-610. Related Articles, Links

Functional Proteomics Approach to Investigate the Biological Activities of cDNAs Implicated in Breast Cancer.

Witt AE, Hines LM, Collins NL, Hu Y, Gunawardane RN, Moreira D, Raphael J, Jepson D, Koundinya M, Rolfs A, Taron B, Isakoff SJ, Brugge JS, Labaer J.

Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston Massachusetts 02115, Harvard Institute of Proteomics, Harvard Medical School, 320 Charles Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02141, and Department of Medical Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115.

Functional proteomics approaches that comprehensively evaluate the biological activities of human cDNAs may provide novel insights into disease pathogenesis. To systematically investigate the functional activity of cDNAs that have been implicated in breast carcinogenesis, we generated a collection of cDNAs relevant to breast cancer, the Breast Cancer 1000 (BC1000), and conducted screens to identify proteins that induce phenotypic changes that resemble events which occur during tumor initiation and progression. Genes were selected for this set using bioinformatics and data mining tools that identify genes associated with breast cancer. Greater than 1000 cDNAs were assembled and sequence verified with high-throughput recombination-based cloning. To our knowledge, the BC1000 represents the first publicly available sequence-validated human disease gene collection. The functional activity of a subset of the BC1000 collection was evaluated in cell-based assays that monitor changes in cell proliferation, migration, and morphogenesis in MCF-10A mammary epithelial cells expressing a variant of ErbB2 that can be inducibly activated through dimerization. Using this approach, we identified many cDNAs, encoding diverse classes of cellular proteins, that displayed activity in one or more of the assays, thus providing insights into a large set of cellular proteins capable of inducing functional alterations associated with breast cancer development.

PMID: 16512675 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Champagne anyone? or Pomegranate juice?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
CherylS

Would like to go with the champagne, but doesn't that cause cancer?

Thanks Lani, very interest.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Unregistered

I'm really visual....

Think there is any way we could see the computer generated model?

Sassy
Old 03-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Unregistered

Wink

I have to agree with you. I will never forget the sinking feeling I got when I heard my mom's cancer was Her2+ but this is something else to target and has different treatment modalities. I look forward to the day when they can map out all the genes that cause B.C. and predict who will get it so we can avoid it altogether
Anne