HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
lisajones4

Hungry all the time

I just finished my third (of 12) round of taxol & herceptin. Thankfully I have had few side effects, however I feel like I can eat round the clock, especially anything with sugar. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Esther

When I was on Taxol for primary BC, I was also hungry around the clock. I normally love sweets, so I didn't notice anything new there, but I didn't notice the hike in appetite.

It really ticked me off, because I gained about 10 pounds in that time period.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
DeborahNC

Yes! And it's just as bad now with Herceptin only.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Unregistered

Interesting.

I know it is probably self evident but sugar is most likely not your best friend.

I have seen it suggested on the grounds of the relationship between sugar and insulin and insulin and BC that sugar is best avoided.

Is you body craving something? I do wonder if our body is capable of telling us within limitiations what it want and stops "craving" once it gets it. On my path to trying to rebalance my threes and sixes I started eating nuts, and for several weeks had a nut thing - once I pushed up the omega threes in the form of fish oil it almost disappeared - I now have lots of packets of uneaten nuts (I still eat them but no longer crave them - nuts are high in fats - the body can break down fish oil DHA and EPA into smaller bits it needs and so I am guessing no longer badly needs what in nuts).

Try putting some fish oil, juice some greens and roots ginger garlic chilli ...(add back some of the fibre), and add whey protein some ground flaxseed (I include a little quinoa, amarynth, tumreic, clove, fengreek and grind it all up and add that - it changes) - 1 litre keeps me going all day more or less without feeling hungry - I saw a nutritional consultant suggest his patients had a similar experience.

If it keeps you feeling full it should also help with general health and recovery.

It might be that your body is craving nutrients, and if that is the case sugar will probably not help satisfy that hunger. It is always best to discuss changes with your advisors and read up on it yourself.

RB

Old 03-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
TriciaK

I have been just the opposite on navelbine with herceptin for 6 months and then just herceptin for 15 months. I immediately lost all taste for sugar--and I had had a notorious sweet tooth! Suddenly things I used to love like Dairy Queen's pecan mudslide sundae were suddenly absolutley abhorrent! I've lost 55 pounds and am still not gaining anything back. I tried a hot fudge sundae last week and could only eat one bite of it. I don't have much appetite either, though I haven't really had severe nausea or vomitting. My husband says he is gaining weight by having to finish what I can't eat! We have both changed our diet considerably and are about 80% vegetarian and alkalarian. I feel well and I don't think either one of us will ever go back to dairy and red meat and sweets. I guess everyone's body reacts in different ways. I wonder if others have been affected like you or like me? Maybe it is the taxol and it would affect me the same way if I ever have to use it. I have been told that cancer has an affinity for sugar and the less we all eat the better. Can you substitute fruit and things with maybe Splenda or better yet stevia? Usually I believe when the body craves something,it is something needed, but I wonder about craving sugar. I hope others respond with their experiences; we learn so much from each other. Hugs, Tricia

Last edited by TriciaK; 03-01-2006 at 04:08 PM..
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
madubois63

I've got a question for you....are you getting pre-medicated with steroids??? I get Herceptin weekly and Taxotere and Carboplaten every other week. when they give me the Taxotere/Carbo, they pre-medicate me with Decadron (steroid), benadryl and anti-nausea med's...the Decadron can make me eat the paint off the walls....
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Becky

I did not crave sweets during Taxol but do during Herceptin (the day or so after and I get the every 3 week treatment). I do resist. Sometimes during chemo, I had cravings and during that time, I resisted even more. I can honestly say that I did not eat anything sweet and did not even eat fruit alone (only with the meal so that protein could lower the glycemic index) during chemo as sugar is cancer's best friend.

Now, I am still strict with the fruit but I will have a piece of chocolate now and again (a couple of Hershey kisses) once a week or so. I try not to buy it or I will have it - especially after Herceptin.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
Sherryg683

Yep, that's me. I'm on taxotere and herceptin. I do get the steroid/anti nausea stuff whenever I get my taxotere and that increases your apetite. I was one that use to be able to go all day without eating and now I could eat full time. I lost 5 lbs when I was diagnosed due to stress, but I've put that back on plus another 5. I hear that a 10lb weight gain through chemo is normal. sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
Yorkiegirl

Craving Sugar

I find this very interesting. I am taking Herceptin only now, and I also have noticed that I crave sweets and also Mexican Food all the time.
I have never been this way. I try and keep a good control on it, but as someone else said I find it especially hard about the two day's after Herceptin. I get weekly Infusions.

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:59 AM   #10
DeborahNC

Yorkie

Interesting about the Mexican food craving. I have to relieve the same craving a few days after Herceptin with Amy's Organic Enchiladas.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Andi

I finished my weekly Taxol and Herceptin in December. I also took the Benedryl and steroids as premeds. The day of my treatments I could eat anything in site, sometimes my cravings were for meat dishes, sometimes for sweets. This craving usually lasted only the day of my treatment, then the rest of the week my hunger went back to normal, because of this, I was able to maintain my weight without gaining.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
lisajones4

sugar

Thank you so much for your posts. They have been so helpful. I have all the premeds for taxol & herceptin and take decadron for three days after treatment. I bet that is contributing to my urges. I am currently muching on nuts! Thank you everyone!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
clisa

I too found with my taxol, herceptin and carbo chemo that I needed to eat every 1 - 1.5 hours otherwise my blood sugar dipped too low and I felt crummy - soon as I ate something I felt better. I would get almost nauseous if I ignored it and didn't eat .

The gang at work teased me about always having my milk and cookies with me.The nurses at chemo attributed it to the decadron speeding up the metabolic system.
clisa is offline   Reply With Quote