HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
RobinP

The Supplements To Down=regulate Her2

DIET AND SUPPLEMENTS TO HELP DOWN-REGULATE HER2 BREAST CANCER:

Okay, So Just Wanted To Review The Supplements And Empathize That More Than One Supplement Is Best To Decrease Her2 Because Her2 Ligand Is A Bivalent Network Meaning It Has A Complex SIGNALING Pathway, WHICH MAY BE Able To Over-ride Inhibitor Drugs/ Supplements Unless Multiple Pathways Are Blocked. So Here Goes My List, If You Have More To Add, Feel Free To Do So:

1.VITAMIN D3- BLOCKS BREAST CANCER CELL GROWTH.

2.green Tea -her2 Blocker Via Fas Blocker

3.black Tea-fas Blocker And Estrogen Blocker, Blocks Her1,2,3 ,4.

4.Olive Oil A Or Oleic Acid And Primrose Oil- Down Regulates Her2 By Binding To Extracellular Her2 Receptor, Down Regulates Internal Proliferation.

5. Omega Three FATTY ACIDS (FISH OIL)- Down Regulates Her2 Receptor.

6. Genistein (soy)- Down Regulates Her2 Via Estrogen Beta, Not Alpha. (may Not Be Best To Use If Estrogen Positive In Your Pathology.)

Last edited by RobinP; 09-17-2008 at 04:58 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
lexigirl

Thank you Robin for all of your info. Do you have an amount of these supplements that you can recommend. As far as how many mgs. of supps. and how many servings of the teas?

Thanks,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
RobinP

Hi Lexi,
I Take 1100mg OF VIT. D3 A Day, The Recommended Dose, According To Studies For Cancer Prenention. I Drink 3-4 Cup Of Green And Black Tea A Day- No Recommendation On This. I Take One Primrose Tablet A Day If I Haven't Had Olive Oil In My Diet For The Day. I Drink One Eight Oz Glass Of Soy Milk A Day, As I Was Er Pr Negative. And I Eat Tuna Often For My Omega Threes And When I Don't I Take One 1000mg Omega Three Tablets A Day, Though I Don't Know The Exact Recommendation For Omega Threes. HOWEVER, I BELIEVE, The More The Better, While Avoiding Polyunsatureated Fats, Which Are Inflammatory Types Of Fat.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
hutchibk

Thanks Robin - don't forget Vitamin D - I haven't been taking supplements, but being in Texas, I sit out in the morning sun for 20 min a day...

And did you know that 20 oz of black tea a day boosts heightened immune response? I just learned that somewhere and it was credible source, I promise. That's good for me because I drink about that much everyday. I love my Earl Gray, Breakfast tea and Darjeeling!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 09-16-2008 at 10:15 AM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
lexigirl

Thanks Robin. I do appreciate your knowledge on supplementing our diets. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with understanding the info I read.

I am happy to report that I do take the same supps that you do, other than the soy milk. I may try that, perhaps in the form of a smoothie. Hmm... That sounds pretty good right now!

Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
RobinP

GLAD TO HELP LEXI. NOT EVERYONE HERE DOES SOY, ESPECIALLY ER P0SITIVES. BEING ER NEGATIVE, I DO SOY, NOT JUST FOR HER2,BUT FOR BONE HEALTH.The Funny Thing About Soy Milk Is That Because It Stimulates Estrogen Beta Receptor It Stimulates Bone Growth JUST As Regular Estrogen WITHOUT STIMULATING ALPHA ESTROGEN-THE RECEPTOR FOR BREAST CANCER. I Notice Now That Citracal Is Selliing Its Product Not Only With Vit. D AND Calcium, BUT SOY FOR BETTER BONE ABSORPTION. BY THE WAY, ALSO GREEN TEA STIMULATES BONE BUILDING VIA PHTOESTROGENS. SO MANY OF THESE SUPPLEMENTS I LISTED HAVE ADVANTAGES BEYOND BREAST CANCER PREVENTION.

Ps. Yes, I Did Know About Vitamin D. Hutchbk, As I Said I Use Vitamin D3, Note Not Vitamin D2, Which Is Not As Well Absorbed As Vitamin D3. Vitamin D Not Only Helps Upregulate Tumor Suppressor, Pten, It Decreases Cell Cycle G1.

Last edited by RobinP; 09-16-2008 at 01:26 PM..
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
tricia keegan

Robin thanks, I never know which supplements to take and find it confusing. My only concern is, and you can probably help with this I imagine , taking all these together. I know they all do different things in an important way but if taken together do they mix ok or are is there a danger of interaction or some other problem?? Sorry of this is a silly question but it's one that concerns me when taking a lot of supplements together.
Thanks in advance for your reply or anyone who can answer or reassure on this.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
RobinP

Hi Tric, Because These Supplements Are Natural And Used In The Diet All The Time, I Feel Very Safe Using Them. If Anything They Have A Positve Synergistic Effect Against Her2 Rather Than A Bad Interaction.

I Also Try To Eat Lots Of Grapes Full Of Reservatol, A Chemical Known To Help Prevent Cancers And Inflammation. Of Course, Brocolli And The Cabbage Family Have Helpful Chemicals Too To Prevent CANCER.

Last edited by RobinP; 09-17-2008 at 06:17 AM..
Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
R.B.

Tuna - The longer liver the fish the greater the amount of contaminants including mercury. There are concerns about tuna consumption with varying recommendations as to the maximum to eat a week from 1 - 3 portions.

Small oily fish are better and have more long chain Omega 3s - Atlantic mackerel, sardines etc.

REDUCE OMEGA 6 INTAKE.

Many trials suggest higher Omega 6 contributes to the risk of BC. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24410

We only need about 1% - 2% of calories of the plant based Omega Six, and some suggest the figure is as low as 1/2%. ISSFAL the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids suggests a maximum of 3%.

Most have an intake of 10% or above.

For me that needs to be balanced with the plant based Omega 3 on the basis that there is generally more Omega 3 than 6 in green things which is where the food chain starts.

Seasonally we we have got some seeds and nuts which are high in Omega 6 which would have pushed the balance back towards Omega 6.

If evolved by the shore by accident or design we would always have had access to marine foods which are generally much higher in long chain Omega 3s than 6, which is why it is fine to get more long chain 3 than 6 ( as well as being shown to be beneficial in lots of trials for a variety of illnesses)

FLAXSEED

Flax seed may be of benefit, but a subject of much discussion so please talk to your onc and show him or her the trial.

Here is a trial link
http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.or...ull/11/10/3828

"Our study is small and the results need to be confirmed in a larger number of patients for a longer treatment period before it can be definitively concluded that flaxseed has the potential to reduce the growth and invasiveness of breast cancer. Its excellent tolerability, however, may make flaxseed particularly attractive for studies in breast cancer prevention, where healthy women should be offered well-tolerated interventions for long-term use. The interaction of flaxseed and its lignan and oil components with other hormonally active agents also needs to be addressed in the future. If the therapeutic index seen in this short-term study can be sustained over a long-term period, flaxseed, which is inexpensive and readily available, may be a potential dietary alternative or adjunct to currently used breast cancer drugs."
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
freyja

good reports on supplements and alt.med.

I recently found a site called www.oncologystat.com with great articles on studies done with cancer and alternative medicines/herbal supplements etc. Definitely worth a look.
freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
OzzieSue

Hi freyja,
Just registered with the oncologystat.com site but I'm having trouble finding the articles you mentioned. Any idea where they are. I could only find the section called 'alternative medicine' with one study that wasn't any help.
Thanks, Sue
OzzieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #12
Tom

Wink Supplement and Food List to Combat HER2 ERnegative

Dear Robin, I happened to log on tonight, and saw your post. It took me a while, but I found the list I posted long ago on this site. Maybe it will help. I hope so.

Mom's supplements
Vitamins and Minerals:
Multi-vitamin
C
D-3 (cholecalciferol, not ergocalciferol)
E (gamma and delta E-tocopherol)
B-6
B-12
Beta carotine
CoQ-10
Folic acid
Inositol hexaphosphate (IP-6)
Biotin
Alpha lipoic acid
Calcium
Magnesium
Zinc

FA's:
EPH/DHA (Omega-3)
Flaxseed oil (Omega-3,6, &9)
Olive oil (Omega-9)
Conjugated linoleic acid
Gamma linolenic acid

Other supplements:
Flaxseed
Olive fruit extract
Sesame lignans
Curcumin
Bioperene
d-limonene
Epigallachatechin 3-gallate (green tea extract)
Vinpocetine
Ellagic acid (along with pomegranate juice)
Indole-3Carbinol with DIM
Watercress extract
Resveratrol
Quercetin
Soy isoflavones
Melatonin
Milk thistle
Grapeseed extract
Whey protein isolate
Spirulina algae
Chlorylla algae

Foods:
Fresh-brewed decaffeinated green tea (Harris)
No red meat except calves liver if anemia is present
Organic unfiltered concord grape juice
Organic apple juice
Organic pomegranate juice
Organic blueberry juice
Salmon (wild caught only)
Tuna (no albacore)
Flounder
Multigrain breads
Multigrain oatmeal
Organic skim milk
Organic yogurt
Seaweed
Homemade miso soup
Organic multigrain cereal
Strawberries
Blueberries
Black sweet cherries
Oranges
Bananas
Raisins
Dried cranberries
Figs
Apples
Brown rice
Fresh asparagus
Fresh broccoli
Fresh brussel sprouts
Fresh spinach
Fresh orange peel (provides additional d-limonene)
Last edited by Tom; 06-13-2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: additions

Last edited by Tom; 09-16-2008 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: additions
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:48 AM   #13
RobinP

RB, thanks for the information on Tuna, I knew about the mercury risks and that is one reason why I don't eat it everyday, although, I do love Tuna, much more than other omega three fish. Because of mercury risks, I end up taking supplements of omega three more often than fish food sources. Thanks for the article on flaxseed that sites downregulation of her2. Whoa, if I had seen that prior to surgery, I would have filled up on flaxseed muffins-yum.

Tom, good to see you again. Thanks for the very extensive list, it will take me awhile to digest it all-haha. Yes, orange peel on the list. That is another odd item that I happen to like. which specifically downregulates her2.

PS.
THE WHOLE POINT OF MY THREAD WAS TO GET PEOPLE TO THINK ABOUT TAKING MULTIPLE NATURAL DOWNREGULATING FOODS/DRINKS/SUPPLEMENTS TO HELP DOWNREGUALTE HER2 RATHER THAN FOCUSING ON JUST ONE OR TWO BECAUSE HER2 IS A ROBUST MULTI-PATH NETWORK THAT MAY BE CHALLENGING TO BLOCK.

OLD LINK TO DIET AND SUPPLEMENTS(THANKS RHONDA)
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...027#post174027
SUMMARY OF THAT LIST WHICH SPECIFICALLY DOWNREGULATES HER2-

TUMERIC/CURCUMIN
CABBAGE. BRUSSEL SPROUTS, BROCOLLI, KALE, CAULIFLOWER
ONIONS, PARSLEY, ORANGE PEEL, CHAMOMILE
FLAXSEED

PS. (SEE POST LINK ABOVE TO SEE HOW THESE SUPPLEMENTS DECREASE HER2 VIA SUPPORTING ARTICLES)

Last edited by RobinP; 09-17-2008 at 08:21 AM..
Old 09-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
MCS

it was so great to hear about Tom. He's always full of the greatest help in foods, just like Rhonda.

good to hear from you

maria
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
freyja

"Dietary Supplement Use in Cancer Care: Help or Harm"

This article is under "journal scans" on www.oncologystat.com
http://www.oncologystat.com/journals...p_or_Harm.html
freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #16
katcdale@yahoo.com

Location: Mississippi Delta, birthplace of the Blues, across the street from Super Chikan and down from Daddy Rich, with illiamWeejyRogers@myspace is(son),in a multicultural neighborhood ,flat for miles, with fields of cotton,soybeans, turning corn fields town, all musician come here, beside MS River,
Smile Kat in the delta

Thanks Tom..
It's so good to hear from YOU !!
I've been off more than on this site-- lately.
You perked me up.. !! I was so glad to see you helping us here.
--Just what I needed, too != that list of good foods ..&/or supplements...
Hope you are doing well !!
Hate to say, but this (am?)- I have been asking about pain in my chest and swollen painful ankles and legs.
I will try to call my GP- MD after I get a bit of sleep. I need some tests for sure! Will talk to you SOON, I hope.. Tell ya what's happening in the Delta.....
--going for a few zzz's before the birds start chirping.....

Kat in the delta
katcdale@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote