HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
lexigirl

Having IV in arm that had lymphnodes removed?

Hi Guys,
It's me again.( I am again so excited to have this web site) I was wondering if anyone has had experience with having their Herceptin tx given in their arm where lymphs. were removed. My chemo nurse has mentioned this to me a couple of times now and I'm not to sure what to think of this.

Thanks,
lexigirl
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Sheila

Lexigirl

I was told NEVER NEVER NEVER any B/P or needles in my mastectomy side due to the lack of lymph nodes..no shots, no IV's nothing...as far as I know, this practice has not changed...they worry about infection due to lack of lymph nodes, and lymphadema from blood pressure cuffs...I was told that even a cut or bite that was not well taken care of could cause serious problems...why can't they use your unaffected side? If your veins are no good, I would look into getting a port to avoid the hassle.
Hope this helps.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
lexigirl

Iv in masectomy arm

Sheila,
Everything I read as well said no bp, Iv's, cuts or any of the sort. I am curious because I am to have Herceptin for a year and my little left arm is pooping out. I was just curious if anyone else had heard or experienced this.

Thanks,
lexi
Old 11-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
sassy

portacath

Lexigirl,

You may want to look into getting a portacath, rather than having IV's. I was dx in Feb 05 and my surgeon strongly recommended portacath for chemo, even before we knew I would be having Herceptin. The portacath has made treatment much easier and I strongly recommend it.

Good luck, come here often. It has been a lifeline for me for both knowledge and support.

Sassy
________
HOW TO ROLL A JOINT

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:34 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
lexigirl

Response to Sassy

I have been told I may want to have port placed. I am just so stinking scared of more surgery. I need to get tough!
Thanks, lexigirl
Old 11-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Unregistered

lexigir,
Absolutely not should you have Iv's on your affected side, or as others have BP'S, Bld. draws, etc.
Carol
Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
Unregistered

pardon the typo's-- it's late ( for me) and I'm tired !!!
Carol
Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 AM   #8
Lyn
A Living Legend

Cool

I am not one to follow the rules, I have been having blood taken from my arm where I had 16 lymphs removed, for about 5 years now, around about the time I had my port put in, I haven't experienced any problems, I can't get the blood drawn out of my port because they never seem to get the result back in time for chemo, the only problem is that with the port I can't have any CT scans done using the port because it can blow it up and send bits through my veins, and a vein has to be found one way or another because my so called good arm is completely fried, I hate it when I get a smug technician who says "I can find a vein" I tell them they get 3 goes and if they don't get one it goes in their arm, they usually run for an aneasethetist or doctor, I had one sitting and there were 9 attempts and even tried an ultra sound, in the end he just stabbed at my wrist, it hurt like hell but he found a tiny vein, it takes a while but we eventually get one or not, I have had one blow out while the nuclear dye is being pushed through for the CT, the stuff went everywhere. I can admit that I did do the wrong thing and have nuclear dye put in my bad arm 2 days in a row and I paid for it, I was lucky I got the lymphoedema to go down in 2 days but now either they find a vein or they do the CT without the dye. I don't know about anyone else but I felt unwell for about a week when I had my port put in, I was conscious and didn't feel a thing, but I had to lay on my back for 4 hours and not even get up for the toilet because the port is placed in the jugular vein, that was a bummer, but I don't regret it for one minute, except when it comes to wearing clothes that hide it and as I am a lifer for Herceptin I guess it will be there for a long while yet.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #9
lexigirl

Thanks for your input Lyn. I'm not sure where my chemo nurse has gotten her information on the whole IV in the affected arm. I had 5 or 6 lymphs removed (they were swollen and clusterd, not a good thing I guess) so I don't know if that makes any difference at all.

Lexi
Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
StephN

Talking Port or Hickman

Hi Lexi -
A port placement is not nearly as big a deal as the other surgeries you have undergone. I had it done before my first chemo and am glad I did as it has saved my left (good) arm for the draws that can't be done through my port (which does require a chemo-certified nurse to do). As well as the inserts for dyes/contrast when having scans.
I figured I was in this cancer game for the rest of my life and wanted to be able to minimize the scar tissue to my good veins over the long haul.

You can also get a Hickman put in on the underside of your good arm, which is an even easier procedure and will not leave a scar on your chest area.

Please, under NO circumstances let the nurses start using your surgery side arm. I now have a slight case of lymphedema and it is bothersome and takes time to deal with EVERY day! I followed as well as I could all the precautions about taking care of my surgery side arm, and still have the fluid retention after FIVE years of avoiding this side-effect.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
CLTann

Hi all,

Although I had no positive node and only 3 nodes were taken out during the SNB, I was advised that forever I should not get BP, injection, etc. on the bad arm. I am wondering for those who had both sides mastec, how do they cope with all the necessary procedures? Just curious.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #12
Becky

Lexi

You should NEVER, EVER,FOREVER let anyone take blood pressure or put in an IV/needle in your affected arm. Twenty or thirty years from now, you could get lymphedema in your affected arm by letting someone do that. You must always baby that side forever.

Love and Peace

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #13
Sandy H

I have all my blood work done through my port. I go to oncology and they do it all right there and even take it to the lab for me. When I have scans done I again go to oncology they put the needle in the port and off I go to nuclear medicine for my scans. Some times I have a finger pick and then I go to the lab. I figure if I save my veins in my good arm and for some reason there is not a certified chemo nurse available then they can do my vein. I also wear an ID bracelet on my lymhedema arm so everyone knows I have a dead arm. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #14
Ginagce

Hello Lexi. I've had bilateral mastectomies and bilateral sentinel node biopsies so what I did for chemo was use left side that only had 1 node removed.

When herceptin came along, I opted for portocath. Much easier than using any veins and given the length of most herceptin treatment....1 year....probably safest.

As the others have said, the standard protocol is no needles/IV's in arms having lymph nodes removed.

If I wasn't so stubborn and determined to not feel like a "sick person" I would have had the portocath put in for chemo too!

Best wishes to you.

Gina
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #15
mary c

Hi Lexi!

I was terrified to get a port too, however, it was actually a pretty easy procedure - you feel sore for a few days after, but you can tolerate it.
I always have numbing cream (I think it is called embola (probably not the correct spelling) put on the port area, about 1/2 hour before it is used and the only thing I feel is pressure when they insert a needle.
Hope this helps...
Mary
mary c is offline   Reply With Quote