HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
fauxgypsy

Tumor Marker question

I have a question about tumor markers. I have been NED for a little over four years. The night before my mastectomy in 2007 the oncologist I was seeing then called me and told me my tumor markers were elevated. We decided to do the surgery anyway. Long story but my staging was completely screwed up by my first oncologist.

I started seeing a new oncologist last year. In December he ran my tumor markers. Ca 125 was a little over 25. He said it was high and he wanted to run them a couple more times every three months before I got my port out. He ran them again in March and June. They are still up, this time, I think to 27.8.

When I spoke to the nurse practitioner she said something about hidden metastases that he had written in my file but had not mentioned to me. When I read about Ca 125 the information I have found suggests that the normal limits are between 1 and 35. I am really confused. I also have irritible bowel disorder and I have read that intestinal inflammatory issues can also cause higher Ca 125 levels.

I have had normal PET scans, MRIs, and mammograms since 2007. How worried should I be?
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
ElaineM

Wink Re: Tumor Marker question

Inflammation, digestive problems and benign tumors somewhere in the body can also raise tumor markers. Certain other problems can also raise them. Have you had a Pet/CT recently? You might want to discuss the tumor markers with your doctor too.
Take care.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
fauxgypsy

Re: Tumor Marker question

I did discuss them with him but he didn't mention occult metastases at the time. The PET I had in November showed nothing. On top of that Mississippi Blue Cross won't pay for it. Said it was medically unnecessary.
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Debbie L.

I'm confused. There are issues with tumor markers in general, unless they've been established as reliable for a particular cancer (person) with advanced disease. But isn't C-125 an ovarian-cancer-specific marker (not breast), besides?

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Lauriesh

They are still within normal, but I do think that you should continue to regularly monitor them. I was over 5 years out, and my tumor marker was always between 9 and 13. In March, 2010, it was still 13. Four months later, it jumped up to 50, and two liver mets were found.
While they are not accurate for everyone, it can be a useful tool for some. But, what I have heard is that they are looking for a pattern. If your's steadily keep rising, it could be concerning.

Laurie
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
fauxgypsy

I am sorry. Part of the confusion is my fault. Somehow I had the wrong tumor marker. It is CA 15-3. It is still below normal from what I've read. I am going to check and see what it was several years ago at the beginning of all this. I called the oncs office. they couldn't find the results for November, but it was 27.4 in March and 28.4 in June.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Sandra in GA

They do the CA 15-3 on me down at Mayo. I always ask for a copy of the results of all blood work and scans. The normal on my sheets for this test is 1.0 to 29.9. So, your readings are still within the normal range. Mine have ranged from 16 to 17.3. I have seen postings from others on this board and some have lower normals. From my undersanding, normals can vary and what they really watch are increases from your normal.
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
fauxgypsy

Thank you. I have gotten out of the habit of getting copies of my blood work. This a good reminder.