HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #21
Jean

Dear Andi,
You are a very important part of our quilt.
You have fought this nasty disease long and bravely.
You certainly are an inspiration to many. You are such an old soul! Yikes.....

Abby, you can choose to not read a thread started by Andi, this is an open forum. Also, like any family, we all bring different things to the table, it's okay to pass.

Kind Regards,
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
AbbyDawg

Quote:
Abby, you can choose to not read a thread started by Andi, this is an open forum. Also, like any family, we all bring different things to the table, it's okay to pass.

Kind Regards,
jean
I was warned by others if I vocally dissented I would be pushed off the forum. I passed along this website to many women in the beginning and then at times was embarrassed I had. And there was a big reason I did not pass it along to my oncologist, lest she'd think I had become one of the lemmings.

I've gotten kind emails of support, emails of agreement from those who don't want to be "outed" on the board, and then some who actually wrote and had the nerve to say I was only jealous of Andi's health and success. That's disgusting.

So, I'll take this as a "don't let the door hit you on your way out."

I don't have to choose to stay and be force fed saccharin at every turn, or be told if we spell it canser, it will help me win, I don't need to have Ram Das, Bill Moyers, positive thinking, and mind/body, burped all over me. And when someone new comes on here to ask for help or advice, I am sure I am not the only one that would like to see one honest reply, rather than 15 dismissive, "I'll pray for you's."

I've been a book editor for many years. If Andi wants to write, great, then people that like that sort of thing will buy it. In today's publishing market, she'll likely have to self-publish, what they term "vanity press" because she'll have a hard time finding a legit publisher. The main prerequisite for writing is to be aware of who your audience is.

I came here thinking this forum was a supportive board. Not a prayer room (although I am a Christian). Not a place for a sell-proclaimed writer to try their new material. Or someone to sell vitamins via their book.

I thought this was a home -- a soft place to land -- a place to be honest-- a place to ask questions-- a place to share information.

Watching the two-hour documentary Farrah's Story gave me an honorable example of grace and dignity and support to last a lifetime, and I will hold my head high in health. Some of the drivel espoused here as wisdom only damages the credibilty and respectiblty I fight so hard for.

Thank you, Joe and Christina -- you had good intentions.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #23
SoCalGal

Hi Andi,
Just wanted to say I love you.
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #24
Jyber

I am an infrequent poster here but the posts objecting to Andi's communications "got my Irish up." I moderate a very large, very active non-cancer-related forum and our terms of service demand that all posters who post with courtesy are welcome, and free to express their opinions. "Put-downs" of other posters are specifically forbidden. Live and let live. If somebody or their opinions annoys you, just don't read their threads!

You can always try the "ignore" option:
"Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?
If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. "There are several ways to do this:
Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'."

You could still express your own opinions on other threads. Why is that so hard? I have to wonder what is driving the unnecessary and unproductive antagonism.

What Andi is doing works for her, and may for others. Perhaps not all. Many paths. I enjoy reading a variety of thoughts and opinions. It is like reading a cookbook for recipes -- some will appeal, some will not. I am under no obligation or pressure to try everything.
mastectomy 2/07;
SNB negative :-) ;
chemo (AC, followed by Taxol); herceptin scheduled until 6/08 but stopped 11/07 due to LVEF drop)

Last edited by Jyber; 07-01-2009 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: added suggestion on the ignore option
Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #25
Sheila

Andi
Your posts are always so insightful and uplifting...I just want to slip on my Ruby Slippers (if it would help), click them together and get to where you are....it just seems so hard when I am on a treatment merry-go round, never being able to stop long enough to feel even slightly free of this disease.....any suggestions?

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 AM   #26
Pam P

Abby - I really am trying to understand your position, but I'm sorry I don't. You've talked a lot about what doesn't work for you: the mind/body connection language, 'I'll pray for you' comments etc. as not being "honest reality' (my words not yours), I get that doesn't connect with you as real or helpful. That's fine and I'm glad you can express that doesn't work for you. But I don't know what would be meaningful and helpful for you that you'd like to see discussed in its stead. Help me understand. As others have said, I think the intent is for this to be an open forum where everyone and their opinions are accepted and honored - and we are able to share our realities and truths without being criticized - different paths. I'm sure you are not alone in your beliefs regarding these things nor is Andi in hers. And how many hundreds of us are on this site (Joe? I have no idea!) No two of us are alike. As another has said, take what is helpful here, ignore what isn't.

"I'll pray for you" does sound like a lame inept thing to say at times when the news is bad bad bad and terrifying and we well know the facts. I could say something blunt like "your not going to beat those odds" but the person already knows the score her/himself - & I - or any of us don't know what the future will hold anyway, so all I can do is pray.

I didn't watch the Farah story you mentioned, but I'm curious - I'll see if I can find it on the internet.

Andi - I admire your positive spirit and stories of inspiration.

Peace and acceptance to all here. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Old 07-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #27
PinkGirl

Hey SheilaGirl
I know Andi will reply to your questions ... I'll just toss in my 2 cents.

Andi will be the first to admit that she is not always in this warm, fuzzy
place. She has her down times and I usually hear about them. She works
hard on this "stuff" and it's not easy.

I'm not on treatments and didn't have a fraction of the chemo you've
received but I understand the feeling of living in "cancerland". It's a
hard place to get out of.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #28
Jean

Abby, you wrote,
"was warned by others if I vocally dissented I would be pushed off the forum"

I have never heard of this? Unless something is posted that is intended to harm the support group I doubt Joe would remove or push anyone from the forum.

You write, “I passed along this website to many women in the beginning and then at times was embarrassed "
I am truly sorry that you feel this way as I believe this site offers a diverse community - inputting different emotions, thoughts, feelings, coping skills, experiences, support, medical updates, research news, etc, the list is long and varied. Anyone one who comes to visit this site and if they are facing this disease will find an article or recent experience that they will find helpful. I also would like to think that your oncologist would have the heart and compassion to understand that each person on the site faces this disease in the manner that makes them strong enough to fight it each and everyday. While each of us has wonderful oncologist that fight this battle with us, let’s face it is OUR battle they are not in our shoes, nor would they choose to be. So I guess I doubt very highly that any oncologist would think of any patient as a mere mouse. All on this site are strong and brave fighters.

Abby, I am sorry if anyone took the time to write to you that you were jealous of Andi's health that is a strange act in itself. If anything Andi's success in battling this disease is a demonstration of will, constant struggle to survive and beating the odds. I think it serves to show other women who come to the site that there are many who are thriving in spite of the rotten disease. Yes, you are correct in that it is disgusting to imply such a thing to you. There is no room for jealous emotions when fighting this disease as all strength and efforts are better spent enjoying each day.

You Write, So, I'll take this as a "don't let the door hit you on your way out."
NOT AT ALL, no one here feels that way. I noticed many of the women who were interested in understanding your position. And yes, there are articles that will be posted that may not fit your needs, or that you feel are not are worthy enough. As an editor I am sure you have passed over many different articles that you feel or believe do not fit in. So you move on to the next.
Simple - why is Andi such a spot light for you? Just don't read her posts, no big deal!

"And when someone new comes on here to ask for help or advice, I am sure I am not the only one that would like to see one honest reply, rather than 15 dismissive, "I'll pray for you's."

Wow, I have to strongly disagree here....we have a collection of people who are very well informed on this disease from firsthand experience. The new members that join in get valuable information on new trials, sisters that are in the trails sharing their personal experience with us, we have Hopeful who is a constant supporter of adding research material, Lani who is a wealth of first hand information, Joe and Christine who attend most if not all of the conferences along with our own members.
Recent books, articles, medical info, and yes along with the medical side of this disease that is forever in our heads, we have the emotions that some will share how they cope and endure.

Abby, there are many women and men when faced with this life threatening disease who may have never reached out to God prior. (who knows)? Some have always had a strong faith and practiced their faith long before breast cancer came into their lives. We do know that having faith has served many well. When people are facing the harsh reality of their own mortality they
become more in touch with an inner spirit. My oncologist on the East coast is not known for his bed side manner, a rather crusty person. His nurse shared with me that he prays each day for each one of his patients. He is a devoted man of god and science.

"I thought this was a home -- a soft place to land -- a place to be honest-- a place to ask questions-- a place to share information."

It is Abby - you can be honest we only ask that you allow and accept others to do so also without name calling.

"Watching the two-hour documentary Farrah's Story gave me an honorable example of grace and dignity and support to last a lifetime, and I will hold my head high in health. Some of the drivel espoused here as wisdom only damages the credibility and respectiblty I fight so hard for."

I watched the Farah’s Story also, which I also enjoyed and cried over her documentary. She was a beautiful lady in all ways. She fought so hard & bravely (by the way Farrah was also very connected to her faith) she came across in her story how she developed her strength from her faith. She wanted others to see the face of cancer. She fought all her life to demonstrate that she was just not a pretty face, she possessed a great talent and when dx with cancer she wanted to share the good, the bad and the ugly parts of her life. She was not afraid to expose herself and her thoughts. Much like what Andi is doing.

I hope you will feel welcomed to stay with us.
Kindest Regards,
Jean

ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #29
Joe
Webmaster

I agree with Jean's comments. I rewatched "Living Proof" yesterday and was impressed by both the dedication of Dennis Slamon and of the ladies who were in the Phase I trial.

I have only kicked one person off of this website in eight years and that was warranted as she was giving medical advice and telling members not to listen to their oncologists and that was after warning the person several times.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Old 07-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
StephN

Question thread closure?

Dear Joe -
May this thread be closed. Abbydawg wants to maintain her position even though I think that Jyber had EXCELLENT advice as to ways to have the site itself "edit" threads for anyone who wishes this route.

Seems most of us do not want to "stir this pot" any more. Let's just take it off the burner.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #31
Joe
Webmaster

I feel that this discussion has run its course and am closing this thread.

Remember we are all in this together.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Closed Thread