HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2006, 06:35 AM   #21
shulland

Getting ready

Hi Barb
I have just returned from UK holiday and am getting ready to go on Herceptin. I finished chemo last May and have been researching on the net all the info about Herceptin and wondering how the Aussie girls pay for it! I am fortunate to be able to increase the mortgage on the house but wondering how I am going to find the last 2/3rds of the money . I am certainly encouraged by all that I read but I must admit I am feeling a bit down. I live just up the road from Coffs Harbour in Yamba. I would love to meet up sometime .

much love Sue(shulland)
shulland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #22
chrislmelb

Hi Sue. It has been a really big topic in the newspapers lately regarding early stagers not getting herceptin free. i am receiving it 18 mths down the track as part of the HERA trial. Missed out the first time around. It would be a very hard decision for you and trying to find the money would be awful.
Good luck with your decisions. have you tried to see if there are any trials around?
Take care
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #23
chrislmelb

Hi Lisa

Just re read the Aussie posts. I do go to the Young Ones normally and will probably be helping Rita out a bit now that Tanya has stepped aside. It is rather a long drive for you. Feburary is the first one and should be a good turn out.
Last time i was down your way, i went to Mt Eliza to adopt my beautiful black pussy cat. I was very impressed with Mt Eliza. I live over near Essendon.
I am just wondering what brand of Glucosamine and Fish Oil you use? I ache a lot and would like to know how you keep your aches at bay.
I have a 6yo who keeps me busy and i am looking forward to school returning shortly!! Is your 5 yo starting school this year? You'll be able to help out in the classroom which is a lovely experience.
Take care
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #24
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

I was lucky, if having this curse is lucky, I am about number 30 something in Australia to have Herceptin in the beginning and because I kept getting mets I get it for free, I would like to know how the ones before me are doing, I know of 3 after me that weren't so lucky. Mine was a very agressive BC and my onc says it is a miracle I am still alive. In 98 I was given 2-3 years before expiration so have been on the Herceptin for over 4 years now and my mets have always been very slow so it is thumbs up for Herceptin for me. My drugs have cost a bomb and I have a chuckle when my onc says that some of the scans I have are expensive, I just say well in the long run it is cheaper, we get everything earlier and if I was to be cured we would know it was worth the money. I couldn't afford to pay for it if I was forced to but apparently it was fast tracked into Australia because it is rumoured Mrs John Howard was involved when she was diagnosed with her mystery cancer.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #25
lisahammo

Hi Christine

Yes, my son does start school 2 weeks today (but who's counting).I'm sad, but also really looking forward to it, and having some me time. I feel guilty for that though. I buy all my health tablets from Healthy Life. They have 'Magic Mondays' where you get a 10% discount on the 1st Monday of the month. The Glucosamine is by Microgenics and is a 1500 Complex. I just take one a day. The Omega 3 Fish Oil is 1000 mg and a Healthy Life bulk pack, one a day. I'm not sure if it was the tablets that helped, or coming off the Taxol, but the tablets are definitely worth a shot.

Good luck, and bring on school!!!

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #26
fourboysmom

I am in the States, but felt compelled to respond about the Carbo/Tax/Herceptin treatment. My tumor went from 6 cms to 2 mm. Heavy duty stuff!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:54 AM   #27
julie a

Hi Jackie
I am a new member living in Croydon Victoria and am due to go to hospital for the mastectomy and reconstruction next Wednesday. So glad to hear so many stories of our wonderful women/friends that have come thru to the other side. Initially when you see HER2 you feel dreadful and worry but this site gives so much hope to us all.
Hope FEDA will approve HERCEPTIN soon as I like so many others feel it is outrageous that it is not a "given" as immediate treatment after chemo. Love & wishes Julie
julie a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #28
jhandley

Hi Julie

Good luck with your operation. You will find a lot of support on this board and the latest news on what members have found helpful and also the best treatments currently going. Where are you being treated? I heard on the news last night that herceptin could be on the PBS within two months for early stage. There is a rally on 17th Feb also in Melbourne to push for this. See Lisa's post.
Cheers
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #29
Barb

Smile

Hi Sue

You replied to me back in January this year and somehow I missed or it got too hot and I didn't spend any time online. Was wondering how you were going with your Herceptin, wasn't it good news that it is now there for all, so glad about that as I have a couple of friends who had to buy it. Not been near Yamba all year, must be due for a trip it's so nice up there.
Wait to hear from you
Barb
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #30
lindaw

Dear All

I am in NSW . Was diagnosed in october 2002. Had pre-op chem ( doxorubicin and doxetaxol), mastectomy, radiation and then Nera trial. 4 months later recureed in the skin ans have since had numerous chemos continually along with herceptin- xeloda, taxol, doxil, gemzar, carbo, navelbine - can't remember any more. Have staretd the EAP Lapatinib about 3 weeks ago ( with xeloda) and my skinmets are fading fast. Still have 2 open areas but the weeping is less and bleeding has stopped.

love
lindaw
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #31
lindaw

sorry that was Hera trial . I am a terrible typist.
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote