HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
Cheryl

Could someone please tell me if the PET Scan, which the technician said would go from my thighs to me eyebrows, detects brain mets?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
jessica

Cheryl, I'm told it doesn't. I think PET is not a great method for detecting brain mets...MRI better. Primarily b/c PET scans measure glucose uptake & highlight abnormal metabolic activity. The brain is constantly active, so the PET wouldn't give a true read of "abnormal" activity. I'm told that this is why after the radioactive glucose is injected, they have you sit by yourself, in the dark, to quiet your brain & allow those lesions & nodules have chance to "feed" & instead of doesn't getting sucked up by the brain.
I also learned recently that you shouldn't exercise right before a PET, b/c again, right after exercise, your muscles are hungry for "food" & will suck up all that radioactive glucose & may contribute to a false read.
Oh the things we learn on this journey...
Keep the faith!
Old 07-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Lisa

no, you must have a brain specific CT or MRI

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 07-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #4

Cheryl.
Tell the tech to go all the way up to top of head. I think most do anyway. It will show if there is a big tumor in brain, but is not real good with brain things. Mri is better.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
Christine

Cheryl
The best way to detect brain mets is with a specific brain MRI. Pet SCANS ARE NOT recommended usually because the use of radiation instead of magnites as with MRI's. Radiation is not a problem initially, but contiuing scans is never used to follow-up. Scanning up to the eyebrow is not capturing the entire brain. It is the brain MRI that is recommended.

We are happy to reply to your inquiry.

Hugs and Well Wishes, Christine