HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2006, 02:00 PM   #21
Unregistered

Sounds like a lot of stage 1 her2+ got chemo and hercepitn here from the responses in general. I figure that there are pros and cons to either side of the coin whether you are treated agressively or not. It is a tough choice that requires a lot of thought and consideration. In the end, only you can decide what is the best choice and one that you can live with without regrets.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
Alice

Question

I'm not in the catagory that you all are in but I was just wondering what you are refering to when you say oncotype dx test?

What does it check for and how does it help to predict recurance?
thanks , Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #23
karenann

Hi Alice,

The Oncotype DX is a test that looks at your tumor (the genes, I think?) and determines if you are in the low, medium or high risk group for your cancer to recur. A lot of women use this test to determine if they will do chemo or not.

Hope this helps.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #24
Jean

Oncotype DX

Oncotype DX is a Genetic test which can help predict which women most likely to have local or regional recurrence. Researchers from the National Surgical Adjuvant Bereast and Bowel Project and Genomic Health, a company based in Northern California have presented data about their Oncotype DX test at the San Antonio Symposium.

Last year, the group reported that the Oncotype DX test not only could predict which women with node-negative, estrogen receptor positive breast cancer were most likely to have a distant recurrence but which women would benefit most from having chemotherapy. Onc currently use a woman's age, tumor size, tumor grade, and estrogen receptor status to assess her risk for having cancer recur. But it is still a best guess scenario. There's no perfect way of determing which women will have their tumors recur and thus who will benefit from chemo and who doesn't really need it. As a result, many women receive chemo who probably don't need it, while others who could benefit don't get it.

The Oncotype DX is another step in the direction of treating women with bc on a individualized basis. The Oncotype test provides increased information
about which women are more likely to benefit from chemo.

Only women whose tumors are node negative and ER positive can use the test.

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #25
Alice

Thank you Jean for your response to my question. The er status lets me out of this catagory but it didn't answer the question of what they are testing for?
Genetics is a wide and varied subject. Do you or anyone else have a web site I can go to to look into this in more specifics? I have a friend who fits into this catagory and I would like to get her as much info as I can.
Thanks a lot, Alice
Old 04-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #26
karenann

Alice,

If you go to google and type in Oncotype DX there is a ton of information and it explains all about the test. Also, your friends doctor should know about it and would be able to tell your friend if she would benefit from the test.

Hope this helps.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #27
Alice

Karen,

Thanks for the info. That is a good site. It didn't explain what genes they are testing for but I think that would be too confusing except for a pathologist to read. It did give a lot of usefull info. In looking at it I think it must be testing for genes that are affected by tamoxifen. Sometimes I think it would be nice to know the likelyhood of recurance and on the other hand I really don't want to know.
Thanks, Alice
Old 04-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #28
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Thumbs down kat in the delta

Hi all
HER2+++(ICH&FISH)
Node--+
Stage II
Grade III(my tumor was over 4.8cm)
EST--+(but, weakly so "?")
PR-- neg.
4 adriamy/cytoxins--12 Taxols,12 HERCeptins
Partial radical masectomy before chemo,1YR AGO
1st time cancer, my surgery's anniversary is today!

Now, I'm in my 3rd month of a yr. of Herceptin. What about me taking something for the estrogen receptor being "positive". Who Knows About This??? I see someone taking Herceptin and Tamoxifen( ?) RSVP
Also, do any of you still feel like you are "a Patient" like I do because Herceptin is IV ?? RSVP

Last edited by kat in the delta; 04-05-2006 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: spelling
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:40 AM   #29
hkorel1

path report

my path report said infiltrating ductal carcinoma
estrogen and progresterone positive
c-erb-B2 positive 2+ confirmation by FISH pending
stage 1 no nodes

now my onc says I am not her 2 positive as FISH said negative
should I worry about recurrance

thanks
hkorel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #30
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Smile kat in the delta

HKoral1:
Since your FISH was negative , you do not have the most aggressive kind of breast cancer , and of latest that "I've" heard, you do not need Herceptin. My Onc. and my sister's Onc. say that Herceptin just gives you a 10% more chance of the cancer not reoccuring only if you are HER2 positive, and it would not help you if your FISH was negative. The FISH is the best way of determining the status of HER2, by the way. Which is GOOD news for you, as yours is not as aggressive; so, you have even better odds of the cancer not coming back. My sister's FISH was negative, also, and she has been cancer free for 6 yrs!! Don't worry, you are O.K.-Get sleep, eat right and exercise----- kat in the delta

Last edited by kat in the delta; 04-27-2006 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: add detail
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #31
hkorel1

kat

Thank you so much for your message
I am so glad to hear that your sister has done so well

she is in my thoughts and prayers

take care
hkorel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #32
Valerie

Hi all,

I am er +
pr indeterminate
node negative
.4 cm tumor
I had a lumpectomy and 4 A/C followed by radiation. One year and 3 months after the end of chemo, I started on herceptin every three weeks for a year. I am also on Femara. So far so good with the herceptin. I also had the oncotype dx test which indicated that I had a high risk for recurrence. That is why I opted for the A/C. and once I saw the statistics on the herceptin I decided to go for that too. Now sometimes I wonder if I should have done one of the taxols too. You always hope you do enough to prevent a recurrence.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote