HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
TriciaK

Re: Any other Power Port patients here?

For what they are worth, here are my experiences with a portacath: I have always had difficult veins to access. When I had the heart attack in 2004 which led to the discovery of my 3rd BC mets (her2 and in my lungs) the EMT's tried over 10 times in the ambulance to access a blood vessel and finally found one in my right wrist. I spent a month in the hospital being treated for the coronary and the cancer and looked like a pin cushion before someone finally insisted I needed a port for chemo and herceptin. What a difference! Last year the old port was replaced by a power port. Unless I am in the hospital I go to my oncology nurses for all blood tests any doctor orders and for a once a month flush. The chemo lab sends lab test reports to whatever doctors I request. They even prepare the port access for PET and other scans as needed and if necessary, for surgical procedures. The first two days of July this year I had to go to the ER and the port was accessed by a very new ER nurse who had never done an actual port access before, but it was still better than trying to find a vein. I insist on the port being used and sometimes have to be very adamant. I save my one accessible vein in case I have an EMT situation again sometime. I could have had the port removed entirely instead of replacing it with the power port but am glad I didn't because I am now on chemo again. As you can tell, because of my experiences, I highly recommend a power port! I wish I had known about them sooner and commend all of you for the help and advice you have shared here. As usual, this website is of priceless value! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #22
Debbie L.

Just a thought, after reading how frustrating it is for many of you to find people who can access your port. I don't know how hard it is to access, but it must be easier than finding a vein so it can't be THAT complicated, right? Something that might be a bit tricky the first few times but with practice one would build skill and confidence.

So - why not learn to access it yourself? Then you'll be sure of the cleanliness of the technique and won't have to argue with people. You would need to keep the special access needles with you, but I'd guess those are available at the onc's office? Perhaps a little mirror, too, but it seems like it's done a lot by feel?

Our insurance during my treatment only covered care in the big city to the south, a drive of over an hour. Even though we have a local hospital, I'd have had to pay to get my chemo labs done there. So I was driving all that way just to get blood drawn. One day, the (wonderful) chemo nurse said: "you know, I don't need YOU, I just need your BLOOD, don't you know enough people coming down that you could draw your own tubes and just have them drop them off?". People from my husband's work went there daily so that's what I did. I'm a nurse so drawing it wasn't a big deal although it was a little tricky doing it left handed (couldn't use left arm for draw d/t lymphedema).

Let us know if anyone thinks accessing your own port is a do-able solution. You'd be the talk of the office!

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
Kstar

For those of you experiencing pain when they access you power port: ask your oncologist to prescribe some numbing creme. The name of mine escapes me, but it is a generic. I feel absolutely nothing when I use it. I put it on my power port heavily. Then cover it with "press and peel" which you can find at your grocery store with the plastic wrap. I do this about an hour before bloodwork or any other access. No one told me I needed to ask my doctor for prescription for this creme. I found out my first bloodwork appointment. This creme has definitely been a Godsend.

-K*
Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #24
Rich66

Mom's been using Fougera brand (Lidocaine 2.5% and Prilocaine 2.5%) cream from Walgreens pharmacy (prescription). But after using the port weekly for many months now, not a big deal if she forgets it. Putting ice in an exam glove and applying that while they set things up can help too. Some places use Gebauer's pain ease spray. Helped my Dad when enduring many (forehand) daily sticks in the hospital.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
Dianedack

I have had a power port for 2.5 years. My problem has been to get them to use the correct power port needle which they dont have in the chemo dept. so I have to collect a needle from the CT dept and get the chemo nurse to insert it before I have the scans. They use the regular needles for chemo and blood drawing which I am really not happy with but I have given up arguing - why not use the right tool for the job! I have asked if I can buy the power port needles but with no luck. I would like a supply to use as needed. The power port needles are wonderful for getting blood out. All in all I am very happy with my port and hope it lasts many years I have no veins so access woukd be impossible without it.

Happy power day!

Best wishes

Diane
x
adenocarcinoma ductal grade 3 DX Oct 2001 2mm grade111. Level one two out of four lymph nodes positive. ER strongly positive PR strongly positive HER2 staus not known. Chemo FEC six courses Radiotherapy course. Arimidex 5 years. Recurrence April 09 Liver, Lungs & Bones May 09 Liver Biopsy ER status changed to negative PR status changed to negative. HER2 now+++May09 Docetaxol 6 cycles Herceptin and Zometa added.Disease stable for 17 months Scans Jan 2011 one of the tumours in right lung has grown significantly scan due in April 2011 to check lung tumour. Current treatment Herceptin & Zometa February 2011 unwell so hospital. DX inoperable Brain mass 11x8mmx12mm left of midline. from lungs and heart March 2011 Gamma knife treatment to brain met.March2011Tykerb/Xeloda/Zometa
March 2011 Severe allergic reation to Tykerb July 2011 New met in lymph glandineck.July2011Navaline/Herceptin/Zometa
August 2011 Necrosis in brain
Herceptin/Zometa Oct 2011 considering Avastin for Necrosis
Dianedack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
Unregistered

I have had some of the same issue w/ poorly trained staff who want to access my Bard Power Port. A couple of days ago while I was in the Oncology Clinic, they sent in an RN to access me. At first I thought that she had OCD because of the odd way she layed things out and she continued to wash her hands (probably 6 times). She obviously was nervous. I mentioned to her that she must have done this before. She indicated that she had many times before. She puttered around with her cart which was supposed to have everything in it that she would need. I had just been transferred as a patient from one major hospital to another, so I thought that perhaps things were done so differently because of a difference in procedures from one institution to another. But the reality was that she didn't even seem to know how to properly clean the area. She also had never used the numbing spray. She sprayed my neck on the opposite side from my port. I corrected her on how she was doing this a couple of times and began to get irritated. Then as she was about to insert the needle, she came at me from a funny angle. Then she attempted to draw back on the syringe and nothing came from it. I have only had my port since January this year, but have never had any problems with it and told her so. When I looked down I saw that she didn't even have the needle fully inserted and it was at a scued angle and I mentioned this to her as calmly as I could. I realized that she had no idea what she was doing. What I want to know is how can they turn someone loose on such a big thing without any supervision???! I asked her to get another nurse. The woman who came in tried to flush with saline & of course she also could get no blood return. At first she said nothing about the obvious issues with the way the other girl tried to access my port, but when I pointed it out she could not deny it. She told me that she had to be quick because "I can't leave the children alone too long" this was in reference to the others she was working with. I then asked them to simply remove the needle and for her (new nurse) to access it this time. When she did, alot of the saline gushed out (which of course freaks me out). She did manage to successfully manage to use it on her first try though. It is 2 days later now and the skin over my port is red and itchy about the size of a quarter. I am concerned. Has this happened to anyone before?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #27
Unregistered

Hi
I've just had my second Bard Power Port put in today. My first was taken out after my first chemo and a year of Herceptiin in 2009 which it seems didn't work.

I had no trouble with any procedures with it and any nurses that had to access it. All of the chemo nurses were very well trained and when I went for blood or CT scan, a port nurse was brought in. I am so glad to have another as lately when I have only one arm to use, they have lots of trouble and I have lots of bruises.

Gail
Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #28
Unregistered

just got my power port yesterday which was put in place to replace the picline i have had for about a month. its suppose to be safer for me and longterm. i have not even taken off the bandage yet(tomorrow according to nurse) and i am already nervous. i hook up to TPN every night for 12 hours and i have to do it myself. with the picline i do nothing but hook it up and set the machine pump. but with this port i will be puncturing the skin every day and i am very scared about doing that to myself. i know my daughters will not do that for me. they have been helping me hook up so far because i need help because picline is in my arm and i can't use two hands. so i thought with the new port i would be more independant. but now i just don't know if i can do this. also i didn't really expect any pain but today it is hurting some. almost feels like infection kind of pain. just didn't know what to expect because noone told me. the docs office just set it up and i showed up at hospital. i called them today and said i felt like i was left out here on my own to figure this out. of course she started talking then to fill me in. anyone else out there that hooks there own up everyday? i have a visiting nurse that has been coming only on monday to redress the picline and check progress of my health. she is suppose to be coming to show me how to use this . hope it all goes well.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #29
KDR

I have the MediPort and it is big. I can see the catheter in my neck. When in the passenger side of a car, seatbelting is uncomfortable.
The reason for not accessing your port unless for chemo is that one leaves oneself wide open for infection upon each access. My onco nurses cover their mouths and noses, glove their hands and then open the paper tray of utensils. I have never had a problem with anyone accessing it, but they won't do it for simple blood work.
When I need a PET or CT, I stop on the chemo unit and let the nurses I know access my port (with the blue, larger needle needed for contrast, etc.).
Icing the area is sometimes better than the numbing cream unless you know exactly when you are going to be called. The numbness can wear off, icing is immediate.

HTH
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #30
LuckyLinda

My double power port (Bard) sticks up like a bathtub drain in the "up" position. I was told that is because I don't have a lot of subcutaneous fat. It is always sore for several days after infusions, and the needle stick just plain hurts. I have a pretty good pain threshold having had 3 shoulder surgeries, two ankle surgeries, and knee surgery, but this thing is very snesitive to the touch! .The only time it has been accessed is when I have my infusions. For blood draws and MUGA scans they use my arm and it is totally painless. I'm not gonna fight them on this one. I can't wait to have it GONE! My seat belt rubs against it, it shows through my clothes and it is still black and blue after 5 months. I read somewhere that someone had her oncologist schedule the removal on the same day as the last Herceptin infusion. I'm going to ask for the same thing!
R side modified radical mastectomy on 12/09/11 with immediate reconstruction (expander)
Stage IIB 2 nodes + out of 10 removed
Double power port inserted 1/11/12
Chemo therapy (TCH) - every 21 days for 6 cycles beginning 1/25/12
Finished chemo on 5/21/12
Continue Herceptin only every 3 weeks until 12/28/12 Radiation (28 rads) began 6/26/2012.
Will start Femara after radiation ends (8/03/12)

"The hope for healing is not born out of a fear of death, but a love of life.This is a very good thing. When people love life more than they fear death, they come to treatment with open hands, open hearts, open eyes.When people fear death more than they love life, they are clinging and clutching and grasping."
LuckyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
vballmom

I got my power port three weeks ago and I am so thankful. I have had two A/C treatments, plus I was hospitalized for being neutropenic. The oncology nurses all access it without issue. The only one who had trouble was the ER nurse who used too big a needle and a float nurse who struggled a little. I can't even imagine going through this without it. It is big and awkward, but I can deal with that.
vballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #32
KDR

You can ice it before infusion, it also help with bruising. When a passenger, I push the belt under my arm and away from my shoulder. I hate the port and the scar.

Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote