HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Louise O'Brien

Reconstruction

I hesitated to start a thread on this because Mary Jo did such a great job on hers (and she was so helpful and supportive to me in private e-mails). I guess I decided to add my voice to this topic in case there is someone out there who is unsure of what to do, who might need some encouragement or a nudge when it comes to making a final decision.

I had a Diep flap, reconstruction on the left side, three weeks ago. The surgery lasted six hours although they had booked the operating room for 81/2 hours.

That was three weeks ago. Yesterday we went out shopping and then out to dinner. I'm moving fairly well, am in very little pain other than the sensation of tightness and can't believe how far I've come in three weeks.

It was not an easy decision for me. Two years ago, I had just had a mastectomy and was undergoing chemo. At the time, the prospect of reconstruction surgery was unthinkable. Enough is enough I thought.

But as I got to feeling better, I had this nagging feeling that I did not want to look the way I did for the rest of my life. I had no intention of seeing a plastic surgeon but went out of curiosity. Ironically a friend of mine had dropped off a magazine describing all the different operations available and I knew then that if I ever decided to have surgery, the Diep flap would be my choice. The first surgeon only did Tram flaps but he referred me to a leading surgeon known for the Diep flap.

Again I went out of curiosity and took my husband with me. I liked and was impressed by the surgeon immediately (my husband felt the same way) and knew I would be in good hands. He also had an incredible reputation.

Tip Number One: Research your doctor - it may be the most important thing you do.

The surgery went well and I was in the hospital for six days. All the nurses looking after me spoke highly of this doctor and he checked on me twice daily.

For the first 48 hours they had to check a doplar thingy implanted in my chest every hour on the hour to ensure the blood vessels were operating properly.

I had a morphine pump and only used it once. They took it away. I made a huge mistake at that point though - going off painkillers to just straight Tylenol - and after all the painkillers were out of my system - it hit me. It took two days to "get ahead of the pain" as they say. I was ok - as long as I didn't move.

I was afraid that if I took percocet (I don't like pills) I'd turn into Lisa Minnelli.

Tip Number Two: Take the damned pills after morphine. Tylenol 3 always does it for me.

By the time I went home, all the drains were out. Halleluia. Every doctor is different on this - my output had diminished significantly and he said he doesn't like to keep them in longer than necessary for fear of infection.

So I walked (or shuffled) out of the hospital drain free.

Every day it gets better. It was tough getting in and out of bed for a while - but I've developed the art of "tucking and rolling".

I'm now wearing an abdominal binder for a few weeks - it actually feels good - and I'm getting around quite easily.

The only thing I'm dealing with now is a bit of fatigue and I think that's from the anaesthetic. I'd swear I still think it's coming out of my system. My hair feels "ropey" when I wash it - and even the hairdresser feels it.

Oh yes - got my hair cut and styled yesterday too!

So the doctor says I'm over the worst. That was the big one. In four months I head back for a reduction on the good side and I can hardly wait. It's day surgery.

Oh - almost forgot. The outcome? It's smaller (as I wanted) well placed and it's such an improvement I can hardly believe it.

I'm happy I did it. I can't believe I did it - considering where I was just two years ago. It was the right decision for me.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Thumbs up Louise

So happy to read this post and your feelings about this all. It is also great to hear the happiness in your voice, it fills me with pleasure. I am thrilled that everything went well and you are on the mend. Stay strong Dear Heart.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Margerie

Louise,

I am so happy for you. I am another DIEPster and I have had my recon for two years now. I agree, the surgeon decision is critical and my surgeon is an incredible human.

Happy healing and you are doing great!

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Louise!
I'm so very glad that you are doing so well and that you are happy with the results! I still haven't even set aside time to think about reconstruction! Guess I'm a chicken for now!!!
Congrats! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
lexigirl

Louise,

Thank you for sharing your recon story. I am so happy that you are doing well and that you are pleased so far with the results. That's great!! Your story will encourage others who may be deciding to do recon.

HUgs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
michka

Thank you Louise for posting your experience. I am happy it went well! I also was grateful to Mary Jo for sharing. It gives me courage.
I also want a reconstruction. It should take place in January if I am not too tired. I must admit I am afraid but I do not want to stay the way I am. The surgeon who did the mastectomy is a big surgeon but he doesn't want to touch me anymore. I have neuropathic pain in my arm and he is afraid he might make things worse. I also have what they call an "ear" (!!). It is like a half a tennis ball stuck on the side of my chest. I consulted other surgeons who told me that my pain could perhaps disappear when they reconstruct because they will fix the "ear" and unstick the skin in which they believe nerves are caught. That would be so wonderful but I do not count on it.
I was puzzled because they say I am "too thin" . The surgeon will need to do a "dorsi flap" with an implant. I hope it will look natural because my other breast is small.
But the first thing for me to do is to try to get back into shape. I am so tired and my body feels like I have been run down by a truck.
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
swimangel72

Congratulations Louise - I'm so happy your reconstruction went so well with no complications! You're still recovering, so don't over do it. Many women get too confident and hurt their stomach's by doing too much too quickly. It's good you're wearing the abdominal binder - my PS never recommended it and it's probably another reason (on top of the MRSA staph I had) that I ended up with this big hernia.

Michka I hope you'll be feeling stronger soon - definitely your immune systems needs to be tip-top before this surgery takes place. I went in to my surgery feeling "tip-top" but I wasn't. I was actually sick with a 100.5 fever - but the anesthesiologist let my surgery proceed anyway - which resulted in me getting the MRSA staph - and all my later problems. So be very cautious about your health prior to surgery. Even on the day of surgery, if you don't feel well - or have the slightest fever - call it off. You can always reschedule it for later (too bad if it's an inconvenience to the surgeons - your health comes first!)
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Louise O'Brien

Michka:

If you don't mind my saying - I think it's important that you recover some strength and energy before undergoing this kind of operation. It's major surgery after all and you need that energy for recovery.

I don't want to give the impression that it's a piece of cake - it isn't - and I'll be honest that I had a day or two when I wondered why on earth I did that to myself. It didn't last long thankfully.

I can understand why they said you were too "thin" - a Diep flap needs a reasonable chunk of abdominal tissue in order to be successful. That I had - hence the tummy tuck. The "dorsi" means they'll be taking some tissue from your back.

That, plus an implant sounds reasonable and I'm sure it would work.

What about just an implant? I think they're most effective when the person is smaller.

Just make sure you have absolute confidence in your surgeon. Don't go into surgery without that. Your surgeon should be able to reassure you that he knows exactly what he is doing in your case. If you don't have absolute certainty about his skills - get another opinion.
That's what kept me going - total faith in the surgeon I had.

I too had a wierd flap along the side after my mastectomy that was quite unsightly, in addition to everything else. I was thrilled to see that gone after surgery and ironically, experienced no pain at that site or at the reconstruction site.

It's the damned tummy tuck. Starlets who undergo that for vanity must be out of their minds. You have to be totally motivated - and I suspect people in our situation are.

Swimangel - you're absolutely right. The binder does feel good - but the problem is that I feel so good I want to do more than I should. I can't stand the dust bunnies around my house. I want to have a go with the vacuum cleaner.

My husband, God love him, is doing the cleaning but he's blind to the bunnies. So I still need reminders to take it easy.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
harrie

Louise, I am sure your story will help others considering this option. How good of you to take the time to explain so much in detail.
I wanted to ask you, how many days were you in the hospital? And also, how many drains did you have in?
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Louise O'Brien

Harrie...

I was in the hospital for six days. I opted for the extra day in hospital because I knew there was a good chance I could get all drains out before I went home. And I did.

I had three drains - one in the area where the flap was created and two in the abdominal area that drove me crazy. Not that they were painful - it was just a pain in the neck to drag them around. They're not fun but I knew what to expect having had them after my mastectomy.

I should add one more thing because it's something candidates need to quiz their surgeons about. Not all Diep flaps "take" - it depends on blood vessels etc. etc. That's why you need an experienced surgeon who has done many of these operations.

Now my husband and I laugh over what's "relative" these days. The smallest things are such a victory. I can get in and out of bed on my own - I can enjoy a glass of wine. I can get out of the house now.

Today I even found a pair of pants I could get into now that the abdominal swelling is starting to go down. That's even with the binder on. I was about to give them to Goodwill because they were too large but thankfully kept them thinking they might be good in the transition.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Jackie07

So happy that you have had a good procedure done.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote