HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
DanaRT

Port and MUGA question

Please help me sort through the conflicting information I received today regarding MUGA scans and using the port.

I have had the first two MUGA’s at a smaller hospital. Prior the first MUGA I was told that they could use the port to draw the blood but once the blood was “tagged” it would have to be injected through an IV line because the tags will impair the viewing. So it made sense to have an IV line in place.

Yesterday I went to the smaller hospital and after three painful sticks (all unsuccessful) and a blown vein-it was over, they could do no more. They arranged an appointment for me to return that next day and told me to drink a lot water. I inquired about an IV team; they have no true IV team….

I was able to schedule to a large hospital today because I felt an IV team would have more options. I was told at the big hospital that they can and do use the port for this procedure! I explained my understanding and gave them a good challenge about the clogging and poor picture. The tech went on to be diplomatic that "procedures are different...blah, blah, blah, but they do use the port for MUGA scans unless the numbers are borderline.

Who’s correct? I feel duped by the smaller hospital, they are “for profit”. I am sad I had to go through unnecessary IV sticks. Now, I am nervous and am afraid my MUGA reading will be incorrect. Or was I being stuck with needles and IV lines when they could in fact have sent me to a larger hospital willing to access my port!!!

Thanks for the input.

Dana

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
chicagoetc

Maybe someone here has had an experience similar to yours. I was glad that they did not use my port for the muga-scans simply because I would be afraid of damaging the port and lines connected. I know that's probably irrational but still... [Maybe I'm just superstitious.] Depending on who did the sticks, it has either been a breeze or frustrating. The last time I went was fine. The time before the woman who tried had to give up and let someone else do it (and they were excellent). I had a brown spot on the back of my hand that was there for a long time. But compared with everything else it seemed somehow not so horrible.

Maybe it was because I had more than a lumpectomy. But I don't know.

Everyone is different...as long as you keep getting good scores, that's good news.

Melanie
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Barbara H.

tests

I have always used my port for mugas. Ports can handle the injections. I have to get them every six weeks. Like every test there is a margin for error. I highly suggest if your score drops below 50 to retest. Very occasionally the machines can be the problem.

CT scans are another issue. You do have to use a vein for them to get a good reading. Also there is more danger of damaging the port. Drink a lot of water for this test and insist that they inject the substance as slowly as possible. Otherwise, it feels like a hot iron on your hand if you have the kind of veins that I have.

I have heard that you can use power ports for CT scans. However, my port is currently working very well even after four years and I am not about to chance it.

If you have difficult veins I suggest that you always have the nurses that administer chemo access your port or place your IV.

Good luck,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Unregistered

I am comforted that they have used your port for MUGA scans, Barbara. Thanks for responding.

Good suggestion about having a low MUGA score retested.

Thank you, Melanie, for posting too.

I am staring at this monitor as if replies will arrive quicker!

take care,
Dana
Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Patb

I do not know why but they never used my port for
the muga scan. This was a big hospital giving lots
of mugas. I never ask and the veins held up ok.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #6
goops

The hospital where I get my muga never wanted to use my port - I asked them why and they said it was because they are putting radioactive stuff in you and did not any left in the port.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
janet11

The hospital where I got my MUGAs also said they did not use ports for this because of the radioactivity. However, I ALSO learned that they didn't have anyone trained to USE ports nor did they have the special needles, so whether that is the chicken or the egg, I don't know.

After I stopped the Herceptin due to low EF, I started going to a cardiologist who said I had had "too many MUGAs" and I should be getting echocardiograms instead. Of course, that's what HE gave :-) BUT, I was MUCH happier getting echos. NO needles. Wonderful.

And for those of you who had low EF figures: Mine went from 63 to 48 during Herceptin and dropped to 44 3 months AFTER stopping it, including showing damage beyond just the lvef. But, after 18 months on CoReg (actually, the generic carvedilol), my heart is now totally normal. Even my cardio was surprised -- he said that he normally did not see this type of damage reversing. Yippee.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
DanaRT

Thank you all for responding. I did not get a solid answer from the nurse today. Sounds like it's up to the radiologist.

I appreciate the time you all took.

dana

]
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Neulasta
Herceptin through 12/08
Life is Good
Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
TerriC

Hi Dana,
When I talked with the surgeon about getting the port, I was told that it could be used anytime instead of having to use a vein. But the only time my port is accessed is by the nurses in the infusion room. I've been told that whoever is accessing it has to be trained so that lets out the techs that usually draw blood. When I had a procedure done at the hospital, they said that they wouldn't use it because of the risk of infection. So I am just as confused as you are.
TerriC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
DanaRT

good news

Thank you everyone for helping me sort through this. The good news is my MUGA is 64%--higher than ever. The walking and limited junk food must be working.
I'm still questioning the procedure and wonder if it is truly 64%.

Dana

]
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Neulasta
Herceptin through 12/08
Life is Good
Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
kk1

why not ask your doc to use an echo cardiogram rather than a muga. Echo's provide accurate values for determining LVEF function, they are less expensive, and no radioactive injections....all good things in my book.
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
Bill

Well, for what it's worth, Nicola never had a Muga, don't even know what it is. She had many echos. however. Her first port sort of pushed through her skin and had to be removed. They said it was because that area had been compromised by rad treatments. Her next port, on the other side, was a power port and could be accessed and was used for dye injections during the cat scans. When we went to the hospital, though, for bone scans, there was only one nurse that seemed to be able to access the port and she had to be tracked down from somewhere. The other nurses acted like they had never heard of a port before and tried to steer us into "vein-work". They tried to make me wait in the sitting area as they took Nikki back, but that never worked. I used my powers of persuasion to convince them that that was one of the points of having a power port in the first place- the dye could be injected into it for scans. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, we always scheduled her scans prior to her chemo. treatments so that they would only have to stick her once. Sorry about my rambling.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
tdonnelly

Hi Dana,
If you have a PowerPort it can be used for all procedures. All 3 of my Muga Scans were done using my Port.
Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma HER2+
tdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
TriciaK

My expereince with ports, for what its worth:I started out 4 years ago with a regular port, and it was a Godsend, except they couldn't use it for CT/PET scans. When it quit working a month or so ago I was afraid they wouldn't give me another port, but my oncologist ordered a power port put in. I just had a PET scan and they used my new power port, which really made me happy because I have only 1 small vein that can sometimes work. The EMT's discovered it and I try to save it for them, especially now that I have a power port. If you absolutely insist, hospitals, etc. will use the port. Some don't want to bother, but insist anyway. My ef went down to 30 just before my triple bypass, and stayed that low for over a year. I had cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure, but after two years on coregcr and diovan, the cardiomyopathy is much better and my ef is 50. Hang in there! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Barbara H.

Ports

Hi Dana,
Tricia is right. The techs often prefer not to deal with the ports. I am treated at the Dana Farber which has very hight ratings for a cancer treatment center. They have absolutely no problem using my regular port for mugas. They clean the port later with saline and heparin so I am not worried about the radioactive isotope or what they use staying in the port. Neverthelesss, they will not use my port for CT scans because there is a danger of the contrast plugging the port.

When I had to go to the hospital for my brain surgeries I stopped by the infusion center and had my port accessed. They still needed to use a vein but put in the needle after I was asleep.

Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #16
carstell

Probably too late for this discussion, but the place that I have gotten my MUGA scans has a policy that they will not use ports.I suggested that I could get my port accessed before coming. I was told the reason was due to the possibility of the radioactive solution getting stuck in the port, even with good flushing. I have had 3, and have had the peripheral IV all 3 times.Guess every place has it's own procedures
11/20 MRI
11/30 biopsy
12/3 another ILC area 8mm
12/21 lft mastectomy with expander placement
12/26 NODES NEGATIVE! However not 2 small tumors.1 bigger one4x3x3.Also DCIS and LCIS noted.grade II,stage IIa.
1/29/08 port placed
1/31 BRCA negative
A/C Done.Taxol DONE
Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year
Tamoxifin for 5 years
New left Boob-7/29/08
carstell is offline   Reply With Quote