HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Unregistered

TCH (Taxotere,Carboplatin, Herceptin)

Are any patients on this forum currently doing the TCH regimin?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
chrisy

There are several, hope they will see this and respond.

I was close, getting Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin. This combination (or with other taxanes such as Taxotere) is very powerful against Her2+ cancer. Not a picnic of course, but very "doable" and worth it.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
harrie

I did all that and finished 05/07. Was not nearly as bad as what I anticipated. Let me know if you have any questions. Are welcome to email me too.
Will be glad to help in any way I can.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
Chelee

I did TCH, but I finished back in 2006. But if there is anyway I can be of help just ask. As Chrisy mentioned there are a few on TCH now. So keep checking in here and I'm sure between the women currently on it, and those of us that already finished...we all would be more then happy to answer any questions you have.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #5
Unregistered

Cool Started wit TCH, bad reaction

I started TCH at the end of February but ended up hospitalized with vasculitis, probably from the Taxotere. After 6 weeks of rest, during which I kept up the H treatments, my second chemo treatment was abraxane only + H; also my third. Now I am about to have the carboplatin re-introduced and am concerned. Abraxane is great in that there's no nausea, but I have back pain, the constant feeling that I'm coming down with cystitis, numb toes, and loads of emotional effects, such as hostility; what more will I experience with carboplatin! I'm considering telling my onc that today's treatment will be my last-- the hell with treatments 5 and 6. Alternatively, if he can give me something for the emotional effects that works fast, then I might find the strength to continue. But I do not want to spend the whole summer angry and depressed.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Lori R

I had Taxotere + Herceptin for the full 6 rounds every 3 weeks. I do not know why my Dr. did not use carboplatin. I'll ask at my next appointment.

I share this because there are Drs. that aren't necessarily including carboplatin. My onc is well respected in the Denver medical community so if carboplatin is a road block for you, not adding it to the mix might be an option.

I am confident that you can hang in there for 2 more treatments. Just put one foot in front of the other and continue to come to this site for support.

My appt. with my Dr. is in 2 weeks. I'll post when I get an answer on the carbo.

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
harrie

After treatment #4, I was wondering if I really wanted or needed to continue with #5 and #6. Then my friend Jean here reminded me that it will NOT get worse and I reminded myself that these side effects are temporary. So I ended up sticking it out and finishing up all the way thru #6.
Any side effects that you might need help with...post it out there and I can almost guarantee there will be others that had to deal with it and may provide some helpful hints on dealing with it.
Its tough...we all know it...if we can help you in any way, we will try. You are over the halfway mark to the finish line....

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Jean

Hi Unregistered,
Welcome to the site.
Many of us have had the TCH treatment. While I can think of better ways to spend my time...well you know what I mean - the choice of course is always yours.
But I would strongly encourage you to complete the treatments. The trials have demonstrated the 6 wk course...which will offer you the full benefit of treatment.

Think of the treatment in parts....you only have two more to go...and I am certain your dr. can order a med to help you with the depression (which is what anger is)
which should kick in 2 wks time and have you ready for the next treatment. Strongly tell him you need something in order to cope best with the treatments.

Come here for support during your treatments. You do not have to be alone - this site offers you a place to vent, ask questions, and most of all be with others who have walked in your shoes.

#3 treatment for me was not easy...and I wanted to be anywhere else but that infusion room on #4...but as I look back I am so glad that I did everything I could to
destroy every last bit of breast cancer/and/hopefully rid my body of it for good. It is now 3 yrs. for me and you also will get there....

Best Wishes,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
bmorr7

Re: TCH (Taxotere,Carboplatin, Herceptin)

Hi,

My wife has Her-2 positive, ER positive invasive ductal (0.8 cm) with extrensive high grade DCIS (6.2 cm). Rachel just had a bilateral mastectomy with negative nodes and her oncologist wants her to have six rounds of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin) with the Herceptin continuing for 1 year. From what I read, this regimen is less toxic than other regimens but still very challenging. Rachel is afraid to try this - can others comment on their experiences with this regimen?

Thanks,

Ben
bmorr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
norkdo

Now that I have been through all the treatments...the full monty...and just had my second anniversary of the dx, I feel so different I can't believe this is me talking...I was exactly like you are with the "to hell with it" attitude about how nasty was chemo, terrified of radiation before it started, etc. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming through all the treatment, but I have to say, do all the treatments. Every last one.
It's a marathon not a sprint. When it is over you will lose the weight you gained on the steroids they give you to tolerate chemo. There is no way to keep it on! It falls away even though I did no dieting , etc. your bowels and tummy and hair and eyelashes and everything do return to normal. Have faith that you will feel a hundred percent better at a time in the future. Then you will only be left with this question: "Did I do every single initial treatment they told me to do?" If you can answer yes, your peace of mind will be a million times better. I was so fed up after chemo I delayed radiation start and just was absent for several and they had to reschedule them so no, I didn't do all the radiations in the time recommended. But I did them.
Please relax. Do everything and anything you can to take time off and get through the treatments. Please. I'd love to read your posts one day when you are a long term survivor. We have lost a number of women on these boards. Please, please, find the Rocky Balboa in you to get through this.
I am here for you and so are all the wonderful, brilliant women on here.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
norkdo

Denise and Pray and others here may recall I had a huge case of anger....and I agree with Jean, above, anger is depression on steroids. So rage rage rage....go for it, sister, let it all out. My rages were all over these boards...I raged and raged. But in the months after finishing the steroid use/chemo, I started feeling a lot better and am now back to normal. Let it out but don't stop the treatments. I increased my anti-depressant in the last month to a much higher dose. go for it.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Kkmom

Yes, just completed 6 rounds of taxotere and carboplatin on May 22. Continuing with herceptin until February 2014. I am also now on day 12/35 rounds of radiation. My breast cancer was estrogen+/progesterone+/her2 neu.
Kkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Jean

Ben,
It is only normal for Rachel to resist treatment. But Her2 is a nasty and aggressive form of breast cancer. I would like to share that not very long ago some of us had to fight to get treatment if we were dx. as an early stage patient. (can you believe that?) Sounds archaic now, but true. The data is not yet in for dr. to say treatment with just herceptin and forgo the TC. Her2 has a strong recurrence rate the first two years after dx. The treatment along with surgery is truly necessary. I do not know your wife's stage, her KI 67 levels or the pathology of her cancer. While the thought was a tiny tumor caught early was a safer dx. Not true, as many women who were early stage 1 - no nodes, had recurrence. We still do not why some recur and other don't. But with Her2 as a dx. it is wise to have treatment. As far as the treatment goes if you are prepared it is doable. Many of the women worked through their treatments. It is important to take all your meds, even if you feel great. Usually the treatments are accumulative in nature, like I said it is doable. The fear of the unknown is the worst part for most of us when entering treatment. I can only say that it is never as bad as we imagine it will be. For some women losing hair is major. For me I was prepared and took in stride as part of the fight. I had my wig ready to go before I had my hair cut off to make it as easy as possible. Like I said,
being prepared is half the battle. This site offers great support so feel comfortable to ask questions. You sound like a very loving and supportive husband, which is wonderful.
I Wish you and Rachel all the best.
Kind Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 07-02-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
Shirley

Hello,

I finished round 3 of 4 neoadjuvent TCH treatments last week; every 3 weeks. There was some discussion on this board recently about having 4 vs. 6. I think there is some study out there that suggested 4 rounds were as effective as 6 but I would go by what your doc recommends. It is probably not "one size fits all".

My experience is that I feel okay for the first 3 days after chemo but on days 4 and 5 I feel awful. I have my chemo on Thursday and don't go back to work until the next Wednesday. I do not have much nausea (but they gave me anti-nausea medication in case). My ankles and legs ache (it's like bone or joint pain, not sure which), lots of fatigue, bowel issues (not constant thank goodness), and my skin hurts all over like I'm bruised. Sort of like a bad flu. Also, there is something I can't explain but it's like the synapses in my brain are short wiring and I feel dizzy and unsteady on occasion. My heart pounds in my ears sometimes on those bad days. It's manageable (as in not unbearable) although I am too unwell to work on the 2 bad days (office job).

It helps to remember that it will pass--and that it is working to KILL cancer cells. My 9 cm tumor, which I could feel beforehand, was dramatically reduced within days of the first treatment!

My hair started coming out at about 3 weeks. It will grow back, and in the meantime I'm having fun with wigs and scarves. You do what you have to do.

I think most women also have a Nuelasta shot the day after chemo; I take Claritin that day and seem to be okay with it. I understand there can be bone pain without Claritin in the mix. The shot itself is in the arm or subcutaneous fat and I think it hurts like crazy (I'm like a little kid when it comes to needles though!). It helps if you relax your arm and the nurse injects it SLOWLY. This really helped me last time.

I have a bigger problem in my mind with the thought of surgery, and never considered chemo as optional, at least at this stage. That being said the usual applies: your mileage may vary when it comes to side effects. I'd encourage you to do the chemo if that's what has been recommended and know that it is a temporary situation, just one step towards getting well. As others have said, you don't don't want to mess around with HER2--just get it GONE.
  • Neoadjuvant TCH chemo started 5-15-13 (4 rounds, 3 weeks apart)
  • Unilateral Mx w/expander 8-22-13 (right side)
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
  • clear margins but close. Tumor at removal down to 2.2 cm.
  • Radiation 6 wks starting 10-17-13.
  • Herceptin every 3 weeks until 4-23-14
  • DIEP/Mastopexy 10-8-14, U of WA
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote