HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Ellie F

Facial rash on taxotere

Had second dose of taxotere and herceptin last week. Over the past few days I have developed a bright red rash over both cheeks.
Have heard that rashes are common on taxanes and wondered if anyone else had suffered with this and any tips for reducing it or calming it down.
Many thanks
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
MJo

Yes. I had the rash with Taxol.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
DonnaD

Ellie,
Yes, I had a similar reaction when I was on Taxol. My nose would always get red and sometimes my cheeks. I looked like I had been drinking the night before. It happened either the night of treatment of the next day. It would disappear in a day or two.

Good luck with your treatments. How many more do you have to go?
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Chelee

Ellie, I had what I guess you could call a rash on my face too when on Taxotere. This was 3 yrs ago when I did TCH & my onc and other doctors said they had never seen anything like it. (Gee, didn't that make me feel special.) NOT! LOL

My face was fire engine red & actually hot to touch...it looked and felt sun burnt. My face looked "cooked". I had to put cool compresses on it...I was miserable at times. They even had a doctor from CDC come look at me to see what was wrong with me...what an experience.

Sometimes after my infusions it would be really bad and other times I would be fine...go figure?

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
Ellie F

Thanks for replies.
Chelee-your description sums up my face! I to am putting cold compresses on.
Rang oncologist who told me to put moisturiser on it and if it broke down to get antibiotics.Apparently they will reduce my dose of taxotere if it doesn't settle.
Good job my husband loves me. I looked in the mirror this morning with my bald head and burnt cheeks and thought the only way has got to be up!!
Ellie(on a bad hair and bad face day)
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
sandyinde

Re: Facial rash on taxotere

I got a bad rash about 10 days after my first TCH treatment. It went away after two or three days.

I got it again about 10 days after my second treatment. It got very red starting on my cheeks, a little on my forehead. It got bumpy and itchy. By the 4th day, it started spreading to my neck and upper back. My skins was starting to scale off and a few days later actually peeled in spots as if I had been sunburned.

That fourth day, I had an appointment with my oncologist who figured it was from the taxotere. He became so concerned that he changed my regimen from TCH to two treatments of AC (adriamycin and cytoxin) to be followed by two treatments of Taxol.

Since adriamycin can cause heart issues, I will not get Herceptin during the time I'm on AC, but will get it again when I get to the Taxol.

Sandy

sandyinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
bmorr7

Wow ... so glad I did a search and found this thread. This is exactly what my wife is experiencing. Does anyone else have other strategies that might help with this awful Taxotere reaction?
bmorr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

5 yrs into 10 yrs of Herceptin I got a red rash on my upper arms. It stinged like crazy. Or is that stang? Rhuli gel, Benedryl spray and then if and when that failed, hottest water I could tolerate from the tap. Still have the rash but no itchy burning. Looks like a bad sunburn, but I never go in the sun...

But face is different, and I assume not itching?

Internet search shows:

Bag Balm (at drug store) w/salves. Originally for chapped cow udders. Miracle cure.

Olive oil.

Oats, water and honey.

Vitamin C (1-3,000) and zinc (30 mg)

I understand that lady in the mirror who is bald, grey, no eyebrows or lashes, expressionless, puffy from dexamethazone. Oh, and 1 breast.

It was then that my darling husband told me, fighting tears, You are beautiful! Just the way you are. Gotta love the guy! Still do.

Good luck all with red rashy faces.

My cheeks used to bleed slightly with the mildest of soaps each morning during Taxotere. And my nails turned black and lifted off the nail beds with yellow oozy stuff. Very tender fingertips!

On Taxotere, I moisturized obsessively. Oh, wait. I always moisturize obsessively. Still, it helps...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Ellie F

Hi
Firstly the good news! The rash is horrible but it doesn't do any permanent damage and eventually goes away! The best tips I have are, stay out of the sun, it just makes it worse and try to get your onc to prescribe a good topical steroid and/ or antihistamine cream. I personally found that the antihistamine alone was effective but I have met others who needed a combination and an oral antihistamine.
Hope this helps
Ellie