HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Cannon

Unhappy When our pets are sick

Cannon is actually my dog's name, that's his beautiful face in my picture. He's an 8 yo black lab.

Cannon is in the animal hospital tonight with what they are describing as "end-stage heart disease." He has had a heart murmur for a couple of years without symptoms, and a good checkup three weeks ago, and now he is very ill with essentially congestive heart failure. The ER vet said she expects him to come home from the hospital, but can't say for how long after that.

I am devastated. Cannon was my companion every day that I lay on the couch, tired or nauseated or whatever from treatment. I forgot that I would feel this pain from losing him.

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Bill

Rebecca, I'm so sorry. I've always liked your new avatar. Cannon looks alot like mine and Nikki's Rottie, Wyatt, but with a little bit different coloring. The same attentive, intelligent look though. I feel for you, baby, I know what you're going through.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
BonnieR

Rebecca, I have no words. I just wanted to say I understand your feelings. These faithful companions have seen us through so much. I have admired Cannon's wise and gentle face here and will pray for you both.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
karenann

Oh Rebecca, I am so sorry. Cannon is a beautiful dog. I am praying he will prove the er vet wrong.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
AbbyDawg

Rebecca ~

Oh, how my heart goes out to you! I went through my dbl mast and chemo alone (people-wise) but had my Sheltie, Abby, and olde kat, Kirby, right by my side for everything.

My surgery was June 1, 2006, then chemo, and then in November, the day of my first "all clear" checkup I came home on such a high ... only to have to put Abby down when I got home -- just four days before her 3rd birthday.

She was a gift from God. I had gotten a wonderful report from my oncologist that day for my first 3-month checkup. Abby had been sick for about a year but was such a fighter. It comforted me so much to think she was a guardian angel of sorts and I believe Abby knew her job was done ... she saw me through cancer and on the first day I felt safe she was able to leave.

But oh, how it breaks our hearts when it is their time.

Here's a huge hug and many prayers for Cannon and you during this transition time. I've loved your avatar of him. And Abby is still my avatar too.

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

Helen (a.k.a. AbbyDawg)
AbbyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
Sheila

Rebecca
As one lab lover to another, I feel your pain. I had a chocolate lab named Cocoa, who was 9 years old...she became sick very suddenly at the same time I had my recurrence...she also had cancer in the lymph nodes. The vet said that they could do chemo, but it would only shorten her life by a short time. My husband and I took her home and loved her for the next week, and when she worsened, we took her back to have her put down. I held her with tears streaming down my face...my husband and I didn't want to return home to the empty house, so we drove around forever.Finally, we went home and I opened the paper and saw an ad for black labs...8 weeks old....a litter of 8, a few chocolate and 2 black...I called, went to see them the next day and loved the spunk in the black ones, both females...I couldnt decide, so I got them both...sisters, buddies for life....Sophie and Sadie became my new focus...and all their unconditional love is exactly what I needed. They will never replace Cocoa, but they are pure joy every day...what is a more adoreable face than that of a Lab? Give Cannon a big hug...she has been your rock, but do know that there is another black lab waiting to give you their unconditional love, and while it doesn't take the pain away from losing your beloved pet, it softens it.
Attached Images

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #7
sarah

oh what sad news. Our border collie Patches slept by me on my bed or on the couch and was very quiet when I came home from my big surgery. She died of a heart condition at 12 yrs old.
Labs are wonderful dogs, we had a lad/german shepherd mix and he was the best dog ever. Get another soon but maybe if you're not feeling really strong, an older dog from a refuge. I just adopted a Griffon who was 3 yrs old and she's a wonderful dog.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have
known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons.- James Thurber

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Jean

Rebecca,
I feel your pain, being a dog lover....these guys become our family and are the best members of the family.

I have been in your spot before and it is not easy.
It took me a long time before I was able to let another dog into my heart. Now I have three....and while waiting at the time seemed what I needed to do (heal)
once I did get another dog my heart once again was
happy. I send you hugs and support.

I am so very sorry....
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Oh Rebecca, I'm so sorry for you :'(

These animals are part of our souls and are witness to some things that even our partners don't see! You must be crushed!

My white shepherd, Chilly, has gotten me through many rough patches. Just by being there. They are such caring souls.
Attached Images

1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
schoolteacher

Rebecca,

I am sorry to hear about your dog.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Joan M

Rebecca,

I'm sorry to hear about Cannon, who I know has been a source of a lot of comfort to you.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
Sherryg683

I am so sorry about your beautiful dog. My animals are like my babies. When I am feeling bad my dogs will lie in bed with me all day long and never complain. I always tell my little girl that animals are like people...only better...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Patb

I feel for you and know your pain. I will say a special
prayer. I have many dogs at the rainbow bridge. I
love labs but now have a schnauzer that looks like a
black lab puppy. Take care.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
Liz J.

Dear Rebecca,

I am so very sorry to hear about Cannon. I will pray for both of you. This is so difficult. I lost both of my Goldens in '08. One in February and the other in December. I do believe they are at the Rainbow Bridge. Yes, they are there with us through so much. Red, my older girl, actually saved my life as I was running 104 fever in my sleep during chemo and she woke my husband up. They are pure and wonderful souls. Warm hugs to both of you.

Sincerely,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
TriciaK

It is so hard to lose a dearly beloved "companion animal"! I have lost several who were so dear to me, and my heart goes out to you, Rebecca. There is a story you may have heard about a little boy whose beloved old dog had to be put down. He said thoughtfully to his mother: "I know why dogs don't live as long as people. It takes a long time for people to learn how to be loving and forgiving. Dogs already know how, so they don't have to live as long." I believe there will be animals in Heaven, and that every dear pet we have lost will be waiting for us there. Of all the wonderful dogs we have owned (or who owned us) our favorite is the little Basenji we have had for 11 years. I could write a book about how special she is. It might give you comfort to write all about Cannon, and maybe someday to read the book or see the movie "Marley and Me"about a yellow Lab. No matter how painful losing Cannon is, you know what a blessing it is to have had him in your life. Hugs, Tricia

Last edited by TriciaK; 01-23-2009 at 06:12 PM..
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
Cannon

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words and sympathy and empathy and warmth and understanding that even though this is not cancer, it sucks.

My sister "puppy-raised" him for Guide Dogs for the Blind in California. He failed because he was "not confident enough." :-) He just thinks he's a person, and finds all other animals frightening, especially -- truly -- cats. I did not know he was here for me, I thought he was here for my sons - one with autism, one has trouble with depression. I guess he's been here for all of us.

Cannon is still in the hospital, we went to visit him today. Me, my teenage sons and my mother. They are giving him diurectics to try to get the fluid out of the lungs (it's IN the lungs, not around them like pleurisy, so there's no way to drain) and something else to try to slow his rapid heart beat (was over 200, now running 160-180, want him at a solid 160 or even better 140). He was excited to see us, maybe too much, as he was panting heavily (although dr. said he was fine). He had one of those stupid cones on to keep him from chewing on his IV line.

They say he will come home from the hospital, but there's no way of knowing how much longer we'll have him with us. I worried that since this came on so suddenly, it was a bad sign, but they said no, it's just very unpredictable.

I had actually been planning to get an additional dog soon, since Cannon was 8, I wanted to have another dog in place before he hit 10, so that we wouldn't have to go through the "no-dog" phase. Now the vet says with Cannon's anxiety, we should not bring another dog in, at least now. And of course now it's all about him, but I think I will want another dog - or two - soon.

On a funny note, we also have an aquatic frog named Freddy. We grew him from a tadpole, and he will be 9 yo in March - my son Daniel said, "Freddy is like the tuck everlasting of frogs!"

Hoping Cannon will be home tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the love you gave me on this, I can literally feel it.

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #17
Audrey

Rebecca, I am so sorry to hear about your sick dog, Cannon. I remember so fondly my dog, Bailey, who was with me throughout my cancer treatment. When she was fading, we got another terrier mutt, Trixie, who is also a darling, but losing Bailey was sooo hard since she was with me during such tough times. Trixie has charmed her way into my heart, too, but I'll never forget my Bailey...I'll keep you and Cannon in my prayers--

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Cannon

Cannon update:

He is home now. He is on multiple medications to try to keep as comfortable as possible for as long as possible, general range 3 months to 2 years, best guess about a year. Better than I feared, worse than I hoped. Of course, we know that doctors don't know everything!

It is good to have him here, but I keep looking at him every 5 seconds to make sure he's breathing.
33 Rads
Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
BonnieR

Give him a hug for me! And my boy "Porter" sends him dog wishes.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #20
suzan w

sending doggie hugs to Cannon from our girls, Mel and Zia
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote