HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
Lani

anyone's allergies improved since getting breast cancer, or worsened since herceptin?

herceptin has been reported to decrease Tregulatory cells, which may help the body's immune system recognize her2 neu breast cancer as something to be attacked. Breast cancer itself seems to elude detection or effective obliteration by the immune system. This article finds Treg cells also responsible for allergies, their depletion tied to autoimmune diseases.

: Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2006 Dec;5(4):211-7.
Role of regulatory T cells in allergy: implications for therapeutic strategy.

Elkord E.
CRUK Immunology Department, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, UK. eelkord@picr.man.ac.uk
The interest in regulatory T cells (Tregs) has been revived following the discovery of developing multiorgan autoimmune diseases as a result of depleting CD4+CD25+ T cells from mice. The importance of Tregs is being recognized in various clinical fields such as tumor and microbial immunities, transplantation and allergy. Prevalence of allergic diseases such as asthma, atopic dermatitis and rhinitis is significantly increasing worldwide. A better understanding of the mechanisms of T-cell regulation in allergic diseases may help in developing more effective therapeutic strategies. The well-known role of Tregs in preventing autoimmune diseases indicates that these important cells might be involved in prevention of allergy, and allergic diseases are associated with a low frequency and/or an impaired function of Tregs. Recent data show that natural CD4+CD25+ Tregs and interleukin (IL)-10-producing Tregs are normally able to suppress Th2 responses to allergens, while such suppression is diminished in allergic conditions. In this review, I summarize the role of Tregs in allergic diseases and discuss the possibility of manipulating these cells for treating allergic diseases.
PMID: 17168791 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
hutchibk

My allergies were worse when on Herceptin, but have normalized since I discontinued Herceptin...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 11-10-2007 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: typo
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
KellyA

Hi there,

Other than a severe allergy to bee stings, I have never had any problem with allergies. Since the Herceptin, however, I have had alot of problems with my sinuses. Never had sinus issues before.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Mary Jo

I find this post very interesting. Although I don't understand much of the article I know that I seem to have trouble with anything "foreign" going into my body since chemo/herceptin.

Before chemo/herceptin I could ingest anything with no problems whatsoever. Now, though..............forget about it. I now seem to get hives and/or swelling to some antibiotics and to contrast dye used for a CT I had. I was just given Clindamycin for a bacterial/yeast vaginal infection and after 2 pills had broken out in a rash/hives. I discontinued using the antibiotic and by day 3 had a swollen face and itchy neck and shoulders. It's scary really as I am terrified to take anything.

So, is it because of the chemo/herceptin? I'd have to say yes because I didn't react this way before.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Christine MH-UK

My grass allergy seems to be alot better, but I am not sure whether this is since chemo or since herceptin.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Chelee

I find this interesting and can't wait to show this to a women I met at my cancer center. We both finished herceptin last March. She JUST told me the other day how strange it was that she USE to suffer from allergies all the time. (Most her life.) She said during her herceptin treatment she had lots of sinus problems as I did...and most women do. But its been 8 months since we both finished herceptin and she said she has had little to no more allergies and has been trying to figure out why? She said she had no problems at all through the summers month's which she usually suffers from them the most. She had even joked about chemo being a cure for allergies. I will tell her that might not be so funny after reading this. Maybe its just coincidence...but makes me wonder?

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
cath52

I've only been off the Herceptin for 4 months so I don't know about long term, but I never use to have any of the sinus problems that I have now. Mowing my yard messes me up. Hopefully this will disappear.
cath52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
Rendi69CA

Red face

I never had sinus problem until I started herceptin.
11/97- 36 radiation therapy.
01/98- NED; tamoxifen.
02/02- breast reconstruction.
08/04- recurrence; mets to rt lung; thoracentesis; femara.
09/04- thoracentesis; ER/PR +, Her2+++.
10/04- total abdominal hysterectomy.
02/06- mets to 9th rib; monthly zometa; arimidex.
06/06- medi port insert; weekly herceptin.
10/06- 3 weeks herceptin treatment.
02/07- mets to liver; arimidex
11/07-liver clear
02/08-chemo taxol/herceptin weekly treatment
12/08-taxol not working
01/09-navelbine/herceptin weelky
03/09-navelbine not working
04/09-xeloda/tykerb
09/09-30 radation to neck; xeloda/tykerb not working
11/09-Gemzar/herceptin weekly
04/10-tykerb/herceptin weekly
06/10-cancer spread to left lung;stop treatment; tap
07/10-right lung collasps; TDM1
Rendi69CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Bev

I too thought that chemo had somehow cured me of my spring pollen allergies. Or perhaps that my 20 year old cats were no longer with me. It use to be that I knew that the first week of May, I was going to have to buy lots of Claritin.

With Herceptin I had a constant drip but no other symptoms year round. I still have sinus issues but not all the congestion, sneezing, and watering that were clearly allergic.

I will reread the article to try to understand it better. Interesting. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #10
cafe1084

The onc nurse told me that sinus complaints is the only commonality she has found among the 15 of us being treated with herceptin. Otherwise, the are little to no complaints with the drug
cafe1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Bev

Lani, I've reread. Is this saying H is good for allergies but bad for autoimmune diseases? And is it saying BC is flying under the radar anyways? It's a little late, so maybe it will make more sense in the morning. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #12
Heidi Bibber

Lani,
My allergies seem to have become worse since starting Herceptin. Also, I have many more systemic lupus flare ups as well as increased myasthenia gravis symptoms. Both illnesses are autoimmune; and the intensity of the lupus flare ups is much worse since stopping Taxol and being on Herceptin only. Both, my oncologist as well as my rheumatologist are quite baffled by this development and have not come up with a treatment mode, such as drastically increasing my Prednisone or continuing the immune suppressant Cellcept which I took prior to the breast cancer diagnosis but which I needed to stop when I started chemotherapy. If anyone reading this is being treated for an autoimmune disease, please contact me. I would love some advice.
Heidi
Heidi Bibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 AM   #13
R.B.

Balancing omega threes and sixes / omega three supplementation has been reported in trials to assist in moderating a number of auto immune regulated disorders including lupus.

Fats influence the immune system by a number of mechanisms.

You may find the Greek Diet post of interest.

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ght=greek+diet

RB

[Lani I am not sure of the implications but DHA suppresses CD25 expression on the surface of Jurkat T-cells by significant amounts depending on dosage http://www.jlr.org/cgi/content/full/46/9/1904#FIG1]
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
fauxgypsy

I was tested repeatedly for auto immune disorders several years ago until they finally said I had fibromyalgia, IBC, TMJ, restless leg syndrome and various allergies. Other than a mysterious rash I have had off and on my right hand, everything else seems about the same. The rash on my hand is erupting with more frequency since I started treatment. I am concerned about that because it is on my mastectomy side. I was told once that it was fixed drug reaction to something I was eating but it looks like small patches of shingles and itches badly. I learned years ago not to rub or scratch it because it swells up worse and hurts really bad.
I requested my records last week and the brain MRI I had recently showed deep white matter gliosis in a similar pattern to MS. There was also mention in the records of low gammaglobulin. He had apparently had it checked several times and never mentioned it. It is probably nothing but I really don't like being left in the dark. I probably should have started another thread but I am hoping Lani or R.B. will know something. I am still losing potassium for some reason as well. It is finally within the normal range but I am taking 30ml of potassium elixir per day. They did a 24 hour urine test but I won't see the doctor until the 19th.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #15
LAURIE

My allergies have improved since chemo/herceptin. I really thought it was do to getting my sinsues flushed when using my port. I can feel it and taste it flushing through my sinus canals.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #16
Mgarr

Interesting. I fit the profile is it sinus/allergies improve and I now have an autoimmune arthritis.

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
R.B.

Faux Gypsy,

I simply do not have the knowledge to advise. I have read and continue to read about fats. There are many reports that the long chain omega threes and balancing the omega sixes may assist in moderating immune conditions.

I cannot offer specific advice and always recommend you discuss matters with your medical advisor. I just seek to inform.

This is a good site to search

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

Here is one abstract which I felt to be worth posting complete

J Am Coll Nutr. 2002 Dec;21(6):495-505.Click here to read Links
Omega-3 fatty acids in inflammation and autoimmune diseases.
Simopoulos AP.

The Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, Washington, DC 20009, USA. cgnh@bellatlantic.net

Among the fatty acids, it is the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) which possess the most potent immunomodulatory activities, and among the omega-3 PUFA, those from fish oil-eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)--are more biologically potent than alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Some of the effects of omega-3 PUFA are brought about by modulation of the amount and types of eicosanoids made, and other effects are elicited by eicosanoid-independent mechanisms, including actions upon intracellular signaling pathways, transcription factor activity and gene expression. Animal experiments and clinical intervention studies indicate that omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties and, therefore, might be useful in the management of inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. Coronary heart disease, major depression, aging and cancer are characterized by an increased level of interleukin 1 (IL-1), a proinflammatory cytokine. Similarly, arthritis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis and lupus erythematosis are autoimmune diseases characterized by a high level of IL-1 and the proinflammatory leukotriene LTB(4) produced by omega-6 fatty acids. There have been a number of clinical trials assessing the benefits of dietary supplementation with fish oils in several inflammatory and autoimmune diseases in humans, including rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, lupus erythematosus, multiple sclerosis and migraine headaches. Many of the placebo-controlled trials of fish oil in chronic inflammatory diseases reveal significant benefit, including decreased disease activity and a lowered use of anti-inflammatory drugs.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #18
fauxgypsy

Thanks, R.B., I am adding more omega threes to my diet and will resume the fish oil. I have recently changed oncologist and will hopefully get to ask him about some of this the next time I see him. Seeing specialists always makes me think of the blind men and the elephant. It is one of Aesops fables, I believe. Several blind men got an opportunity to meet an elephant. The first one felt of the elephant's tail and said the elephant was very much like a rope. The second blind man felt the elephants leg and said the elephant was very like a tree. The third blind man felt of the elephants trunk and said the elephant was very like a snake. I think there were seven blind men in all. In any case, none them saw the whole elephant. Sometimes I feel like I am the elephant.

Leslie
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
Old 11-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #19
R.B.

Faux gypsy.

Don't forget to read up on the omega sixes too. It is the sixes in excess of omega threes at a very simplistic level that are essentially the enabling raw materials for inflammatory processes.

I am sure that medical professionals all do their very best, and have excellent motives.

On my wanders I have become aware how mind numbingly complex it all is, and each tiny area is a specialism on its own, and there are only so many hours in the day, particularly for doctors. I do not know how they cope with the amount of information there is.

At the end of the day much is unknown. I can only point out some research and invite you to do your own reading and come to your own conclusions.

Thank you for your elephant tale I think I may be able to use it at some point. It raises valid issues of specialisation v overview.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #20
fauxgypsy

R.B.,
I told my surgeon the last time I saw him that I understood that he was a general surgeon and that there was no way that he could keep up with the reading on everything. But I could be an expert in "me." I am more than a "breast cancer patient" or a "mastectomy patient." My problem is that, so often, they are not willing to listen. Particularly if it is outside the range of their knowledge. And you are right, there are so many complex systems involved and each specialization is only looking at one small part of the whole. It is like chaos theory. Anything you change, even at the tiniest molecular level, can have huge effects.

Leslie