HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
sammie1

Xeloda/Tykerb side effects

Shortly, I am going to start this combination and am worried about the side effects. Can anyone share how quickly they start (nausea, diarrhea, rashes, H+FS? Within a week? Within two weeks? Anyone out there who has tolerated the combination well with few or no side effects? Once they start, do they get better once your body gets used to it? Has anyone used henna to relieve the HFS? Any hints or insight anyone can provide would be most welcome!!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Carolyns

Hi,

I just started on Friday and am taking 5 Tykerb in the morning and 2 Xeloda pills in the morning and in the evening. Sunday evening I had some diarrhea and I feel more tired than usual.

Good luck, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Bill

Hi Sammie! My wife, Nicola, was on Tykerb and Xeloda at different times. I seem to recall that she had diarrhea pretty quick with the Tykerb, but it was an effective treatment. I'd recommend starting a "BRAT" diet pretty quick, possibly avoiding severe diarrhea. As for Xeloda, she never really got Hand and Foot Syndrome, just diarrhea again. Many women here have been on this treatment, but the one I always think of is Hutchibk, Brenda. I'm sure she can help alot more than I can. Thoughts and prayers to you. Love, Bill
Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
I had some trouble with diarrhea problems at first but I greatly increased the portion of my diet that included the "BRAT" diet and found that I only occasionally needed other medications to control it. That would usually happen when something I ate caused it and I kept a list of irritants on my frig and avoided them. Good luck.

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Pam P

I was on xeloda/herceptin for over 2 yrs, then switched to xeloda/tykerb for another 1 1/2. It was the best I've felt on any chemo. I did have side effects, but they were manageable. Diarrhea at first - sometimes severe, but imodium kept it in control. After awhile I guess I my body adapted because it was no longer an issue. My blood counts always stayed in normal ranges. I did feel a little more tired sometimes - I could tell the difference when it was my week off the xeloda that I had more energy. My biggest difficulty was the hand/food syndrome. I got severe at times. I tried lots of lotions. Unfortunately I didn't know about the henna treatment. On the week off xeloda it would clear up a lot. I had my xeloda dose reduced and that helped. I think I started out at 4000 mg & went to 3500, then 3000. I think others have been on 2500 and done fine on the xeloda. I wish I could still be on that combo. I also liked not having to get treatment by IV - it felt freeing to just take the pills.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa