Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
penelope

Does herceptin cause weight gain?

anyone know?

penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
geraldine

Hi Penelope,

The theory is, it is Herceptin that causes weight gain...
I for one hope it is, cos i'm in touble if it's not. Gained 21lbs since starting Herceptin and will feel very FAT if it is proved different (ho ho)
Seriously, after coming through what we have, being a bit overweight is nothing. We should be grateful we are here ( and I am )

God Bless
Geraldine x
geraldine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Bev

No real weight gain for me but am also on tamoxifen which I read has more of a weight loss affect to it. If your're doing taxol and herceptin, the premeds for taxol will make you gain, quickly. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
Sherryg683

I was told it did not cause you to gain weight. I gained some weight from the Decadron and TAxotere, lost half of that after stopping chemo, still have 5 lbs to go. I haven't gained anything else while on Herceptin alone though...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #5
Annemarie

Weight

Herceptins package insert indicates it is a weight neutral drug. I have been on it for almost 2 years w/o gaining.
Annemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
Chelee

I really don't know if it causes weight gain or not? I have heard of so many that have gained weight after chemo...and also due to herceptin. I am not sure many really know which is the cause? If you are doing more then herceptin...it would be hard to figure out which is the true cause?

I have been doing herceptin since Feb. 06. I do the herceptin, Taxotere, & Carbpotin...with WEEKLY hercepin. Myself...I am not the norm I guess...because since I started this nightmare of a journey...I have lost 32 pounds in six months. I keep hearing about everyone gaining...I keep thinking I will any time...but nothing so far. I haven't had much of a appetite since this started...so thats probably the only reason I haven't gained.

chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
sarah

after I started taxol and herceptin I gained 15lbs! and after I stopped taxol I lost some but then quickly regained it and I don't seem to be losing it but I'm probably not disciplined or motivated enough to do it. Most of my life I was more to the skinny side - due to metablolism not dieting - so it is a bit of a novelty to be fat but.....better fat than dead! It's more of a drag that most of my clothes don't fit!!!
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:42 AM   #8
Mgarr

I have put on some weight but not for a few months into Herceptin ( I should note after chemo I needed to put some weight back on) - I attribute the weight gain indirectly to Herceptin. My leg muscles are weak and painful so I am more sedintary. My last dose of Herceptin on Wed 6/21 I will let the board know how I feel and if the side effects have subsided.
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:44 AM   #9
astrid

The pre meds for some chemos like Taxol have steroids in them to avid an allergic reaction, so some people do tend to gain weight from chemo; however some loose weight due to the change in diet. More fiber, vegetables and fruits, avoiding sugar etc.. We are trying to be more active, so we should naturally loose weight. It’s hard to say what make us loose or gain weight as so many changes are happening at the same time. I have lost 15 pounds over these last seven months. I start back to work on Monday. I hope I do not gain it back from sitting all day.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:49 AM   #10
janet/FL

I have gained 13 pounds since stopping Taxotere/steriods and just on Herceptin. Was too scared to eat on chemo! And with the steriods I was constantly moving around. I am sure I am eating more now and less active though have better energy for doing tough yard work, etc.
Never had some of the middlie of the night cravings before. I stop Herceptin this month or next, so will see if I can lose the weight. I need to be more disaplined in my eating. Better choice of foods. I had been on a strict low carb, high fat diet prior to cancer as my husband is diabetic and it keeps his numbers perfect. Going off that has been hard. Sure was fun being on a diet that allowed FAT! and I lost weight!
It sure would be nice to stop Herceptin and have the weight magically fall off! LOL
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
redbeautycar

Will weight go away after treatment of herceptin stops? Only have 2 more to go.
Thank you,
Carol
redbeautycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
redbeautycar

Need to add

After stopping all steroids, I did lose 10 lbs. Still have 10lbs to go and 2 more Herceptins. Read somewhere that any extra pounds will go away, but needed some imput. I watch everything I eat and do exercise,but it just won't go away. I DO feel very lucky and blessed to just be here. 17 month Survivor.
Carol
redbeautycar is offline   Reply With Quote