HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Unregistered

After Whole Brain Radiation -now what?

I have finished my 20 rounds of WBR and two "boosts" to the surgical site on Jan.16th and now I am recovering from the side effects of feeling nausea, fatigue and scalp irritation along with some intermittent ringing in the ears. My problem now becomes this- my radiation oncologist that I was contracted to see has told me I should have an MRI about two months from now to see where I am at but he referred me back to my regular oncologist at Kaiser to follow-up with that. I went to see my Kaiser Oncologist on Jan. 21st and he feels that I should not have a followup MRI. He believes that the WBR has killed any seeds since I had surgery on Nov.10 to remove the single 3 cm brain met. He is good about following up with my Ct scans for my primary cancer site and bone scans but has a different idea about this.
My feeling is that I don't want to become constantly gammaknifing every spot but yet I don't want to wait til I have a huge symptom which will be a tumor too big to deal with and that's the end of the road for me. Its not nice to say but the little research I have found online points to patients dying from the primary cancer coming back or the complications rather than the brain mets persay . And if I push for an MRI followup I don't know as a layman how often one should have it done. I also am surrounded by a big bottles of coenzyme Q10 and antioxident supplements and don't know if taking them now would be a bad thing or a good thing. I know I was told not to take it while doing the radiation since it was counterproductive to the radiation. I am tired of constantly dealing with health issues(I'm sure you all have that feeling)and if I live a long time I don't want to spend every day worrying if the next will be my last. How can I wrap my mind around a "living" mindset and go about living rather than worrying about this every day? Thanks for listening-Kathy in CA
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
StephN

Unhappy

Hi kathy -
Thanks for the report.
It is IMPERATIVE that you have followup scans. Brain mets are something that need following whether they are dying or to check for any new ones.

We have people on this site who have had WBR that DID have new mets later on.

In my case I did not have WBR since I had just the two tumors and never any others. It is my radiation oncologist who orders my brain followups and I go see him for the results. Don't let him cut you loose like that.
And he sould NOT have done it.

You should go back to the rad onc and tell him that you wish to have the followup he recommended and have HIM review it with you.

Hope your aftereffects are subsiding as you get further along healing. I see no reason not to take your CoQ10 now. I was told it is good for brain healing!

Remember - Spring is coming!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Joan M

You should most definitely have follow-up scans, every three months.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Lani

I have just been helping a woman with metastatic lung cancer who had WBRT

Her radiation oncologist told her there was no way her mets could come back after WBRT. Where do these people come up with these things?

Her best hope for a clinical trial is one which requires her to have a repeat brain MRI 30 days after completing her WBRT to see if her brain lesions are stable/still there, in which case she may qualify or progressive, in which case she is not.

As usual, I am just getting her info/articles to to help her decide. I did not want to be the one to question what she had been told by a radiation oncologist, but just pointed out to her that the requirement for inclusion in the clinical trial wouldn't be there if "things were that easy"

Do these radiation oncologist learn that this is "the nice thing to say," do they really believe it because they don't see the patients back and don't follow what happened to them (ie, the go on to cyberknife/gamma knife
as you certainly can't have WBRT twice as I understand it), or what is going on.

Sorry to be sounding off, but sometimes I am just flabbergasted.

Perhaps Joe should make a video of Christine, Steph, Esther etc telling their stories so these professionals can learn something of the "whole spectrum of the disease" At conferences I continue to hear that the average life expectancy of those with Stage IV bc is 2 years, 1 year for her2+ metastatic breast cancer who don't get herceptin. How about some new stats as well as a "sensitizing" video to be shown at , say ASCO, ASTRO and the surgical oncologists meeting to put a face on these stats and show the quality of life possible if one realizes the natural history of the disease has been fundamentally changed by herceptin and, perhaps, aggressive treatment of brain mets.

Off the soapbox for now.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
StephN

Unhappy

Hi Lani -
Well, you have hit "it" on the head. We members here are constantly butting our heads on the brick wall of ignorance, which budges what seems to be only a millimeter at a time even with all of us pushing. Some of occasionally are lucky enough to have come upon an enlightened care team or at least an onc, but recall how many posts we have had from women needing to change oncs because of such ridiculaous statements or treatment decisions.

Our presence at all these meetings so far is the best we could do to put "a new face" on Her2 primary and metastatic breast cancer. We stand there as proud pillors of our group. If you were hanging around our booth and heard some of the conversations we have with the convention attendees, you would see that they get a real wake up call from seeing us there in the flesh.

I don't know when the "official" stats that are "out there" will change, but hopefully soon. We could not get even Genentech to do a followup on long term survivors who are stage IV and on Herceptin! I remember getting in Debu Tripathy's face about that at ASCO a few years back.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
flynny

Although I have not had brain mets... my mother did and I agree with all of the above YOU SHOULD MOST DEFINITELY have a follow-up scan. I can't even imagine how an oncologist could say that. Just my 2 cents, but Wow I just can't get over this one.

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
dchips1

I have had WBR and 2 Gamma Knifes

I get my Brain Scans every 3 months. The Neuro and Rad at Barrows here in Phx said any closer then you can get misdiagnosed, because the radiation can cause swelling and necrotic tissue, before your brain absorbs the "wound" met. At Barrows it was nice because the MRI that they use slices your Brain in to smaller slices that normal MRI facilities use. So you get earlier detection than a regular MRI. I strongly encourage all HER 2 patients to get a baseline Mri after diagnosis. I just happen to mention it to my onc that my sinus headaches were more frequent!!!! Found 6 lesions the largest was in my brainstem! (2007) The 2nd follow up found the new lesion, had Gamma knife,(2/08) with follow ups it was shrinking until (11/08) then it grew.So now I am a MRI brain freak 3 months like clockwork. I chose to find it before it causes problems and you have options. Take CARE Keep moving forward and be persistent with your DR and Insurance companies. Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote