HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
chicagoetc

Does this belong here?

I am writing this in a text editor in order to copy it more coherently as a post in this site. I tried writing something about it earlier but think I must have not written it right.

I am fearful, frustrated, sad... and not because there has been a cancer recurrence (that I know of). My assumption was that once surgery/chemo/radiation were over everything would be relatively easy. Herceptin in fact has been relatively easy, as has reconstructive surgery.

What is not going right is something that started fairly suddenly mid June of this year. I had worked basically fulltime through everything and that had worked. I was able to provide supervision, review clinical documents, help with annual mental health / psychosocial assessments..even a fairly complex training/seminar. Some days were harder than others but not to the extent I could not work.

My brain went goofy starting in June. I can't seem to find anyone in this forum with a similar experience (leaving me wondering if I do/don't belong here).

Sheila suggested I write symptoms. They are:

- Nausea: Extreme periods of nausea (not from eating anything). Dizziness/nausea when writing, typing, reading for 20 minutes or more (such that I have to stop for 30 minutes in order to do anything else). Dizziness/balance problems when going down stairs. Similar dizziness/nausea when looking at someone talking when I was sitting at angle to the wall behind them. Inability to look at a person and then a piece of paper or computer screen and then back again without feeling sick.

- Multi-tasking problems: Had to stop listening to the radio or doing ANYTHING but drive in order not to hit the vehicle in front of me (many, many "near misses"). Had to take the same route to work everyday and try not to pass anyone (as I was starting to have "near misses" where my car almost crashed into the car in front)

- Memory/Cognitive problems: When doing minor multiple-step tasks as I could not remember why I wrote what I did or which step I was on when going from one part of the task to another (taking two hours to do somethinig that would have taken me ten minutes or less, AND still not solving the problem even after two hours). Constant forgetting why I go from one room to another. Frequently forgetting entire conversations with friends and others. More difficulty than usual finding where the car is parked, where I put a piece of paper I thought was in a pocket.

- Clumsiness: Dropping items/liquids/other on the floor on a regular basis. Trying to cook something on the stove, spilling the ingredients on the hotplate, getting the ingredients in but then spilling them out of the pan onto the next hotplate, moving on to a third before I got it right. Frequently almost tripping because I forget/did not focus on where I was walking.

- Speech: Forgetting words or phrases (trying several times only to find a different way to say it). Not being able to talk coherently in spontaneous conversations. Becoming scared of forgetting the name of the building I worked in a group introduction where everyone said their name and where they worked.

- Attention: Not following plots on short television shows. Same for conversations. Thinking I knew what my doctor had prescribed only to look at the instructions days later to realize I had it wrong.

- Visual problems: Watching something in a street only to have the entire scene start shifting to the left. Putting my foot on the brake in the car only to be convinced that the car was still going forward (into the next car)...when it wasn't. Sudden inability to see through my glasses with a need to replace them. Having that help but not resolve the problem.

[Ok now I'm feeling sick from writing this.] ... Break time. Will edit later.

Noone can tell me what happened. My oncologist sent me to an MRI and a neurologist (the MRI was fine). Peri-menopausal symptoms were ruled out as was medications (prescription or over the counter)...at least regarding anything that had changed pre and post treatment. The neurologist sent me for neuropsych testing. Anxiety/stress/depression were ruled out. I performed ok in some places but scored poorly on others, attention being a primary problem. Other things the test said I do not remember. The neurologist sent me to a speech therapist who works not just with speech but with cognitive problems as well. We just started.

Other medical interventions: Two anti-motion sickness meds (constant Meclezine and Transderm Scop and even that is not enough...will probably be given Zofran later). Recommendations to try either stimulants or memory related meds. Right now I'm on a trial of Namenda. There are four other options to try if this does not help, I think.

Things got worse at work. With encouragement or permission from my supervisor, I dropped to part-time. Recently I was demoted. Today I set up my new office and became petrified that I would even know how to do the job I had done for many years prior. My husband and I actually talked today for the first time about the possibility that I may not be able to work at all. I'm not stopping yet.

I want to cry. I am frustrated/scared/sad. I think this is related to chemo (Taxol maybe?) but I cannot find documention that would support this. Everything seems to be getting worse (though sometimes it seems better in places). I am worried it will keep getting worse.

If you can tell me that this does not occur as a part of treatment for BC, then at least I will know. If it is related in any way, I would be glad to not be alone in this. And, if so, maybe some of you have ideas of what to do. If not, then I would assume this is a problem unrelated to cancer. At least I would know if this is/is not appropriate for this site.

Melanie

PS: I promise to never write a post/response this long ever again. [Unless I forget of course...] I edited it several times.

PPS: Maybe I am complaining too much...most of you are posting about serious physical problems.
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Becky

What about your ears? Or maybe even your sinuses (which when draining can clog the ears and we all know Taxol and Herceptin cause sinus/allergy problems). When I was done with Herceptin for 3 months I got a sinus infection that took 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear and I was already over 2 yrs from diagnosis (since I had late Herceptin). I was shocked as I truly (by that point since chemo was nearing 2 yrs behind me) was healthy as a horse. The ear pressure and near fainting spells almost did me in. Like you, I did a better job at work prior to this and during chemo and most of Herceptin.

I saw an ear, nose and throat doctor who tested my hearing (which was fine) but I was diagnosed with TMJ and I work hard on not clenching my jaw etc and the tricks and "rehab" for that has helped.

Naturally, you are stressed about this too and that doesn't help either. Maybe you are looking in the wrong area of the body or you might have other symptoms that seem unrelated but are related to this. (Yes - I do watch the Health Channel and "Mystery Diagnosis" occassionally).

Lastly, the first year after treatment is over (and we are in treatment longer than the non-Her2 people) is a rough year. Year 2 is the worst I think - for any bc woman. But this may have to do with the allergic effects/ears/TMJ (perhaps) and not neuro. Just thinking out loud here.

Keep posting - especially after you see various doctors as something may click with one of us that brings more perspective on your symptoms so it can be solved and you can get back to normal asap.

Big hugs to you

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Cannon

Of course you belong here. Your problem is a serious one, and so frustrating that you don't have answers.

There is no doubt that this can be a side effect of chemo, and that there still might be no physical evidence of damage.

I don't know that much about disability, but it seems to me that you should go on disability leave instead of part-time and being demoted - this is not your choice, you are NOT ABLE to do your work - that's what disability insurance and/or SSI is for!

I actually have "extensive white matter disease" (no idea if it's from chemo, never had a brain MRI til after all my treatment) to the extent that my neurologist says it's miraculous that I am functioning, and some days I don't feel like I am, but so far holding on.

Please find a friend or advocate (perhaps your husband, perhaps not) who can help you decide what to do to best take care of yourself. If you can't even remember what the testing said, how you can make good decisions on your own?

I am sending you love and prayers, please let me know if I can help in some way.

Rebecca
aka
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
webmum

sorry to hear about your problems

and I think you have every right to moan as it is seriously affecting your life.
I think I can relate to it to a point. Me too, have just finished herceptin and was on taxol at some point during last year (I also had tykerb and FEC).
I have dizzy spells too, never serious, but often a feeling of being lightheaded and not quite in the same room as others..I hope you understand what I mean.
Also definitely, feel a lot more forgetful and disorganised tha I was before. I don't have much to compare it with as I haven't worked in about 4 years, and only recently started again, part/time, but sometimes even finding my way around town I make silly mistakes and I have always ahd a good sense of directions. I do find it difficult to recognise myself as I once used to do a fairly stressful job too. But, because I have had such a big gap, and 2 children in between I have often put it down to motherhood and generally getting older (even though I'm only 37). Maybe it is something to do with the chemo...

I also ahve the vision problems you describe, but very rarely, maybe once every 6 weeks I'd say, I don't remember experiencing anything like this before, but then again, I was never so tuned in to what my body felt as I am now!

I don't know if this is any help to you, I hope it is in some way. And I hope someone can help you further

best of luck
chiara
webmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

Hey Melanie!
You can see the dates on the drugs I took (one was Taxol) and I have continued to take Herceptin (stopping in Dec.). I have had almost all of your problems as well, with the exceptions of the nausea and the visual problems. All of the symtoms have decreased month by month since I stopped all but herceptin. I'm still nowhere close to my "old self" mentally or with the ability to focus, but I'm good enough to get back to work more. I've just had to change the way I work. I find that stress still really shuts me down. But I have faith that after some time off of herceptin that I'll get even better. I'm counting on it anyway!!!
It has made me feel really crazy at times! But I think with time, exercise and good eats, it will continue to get better.
I don't know what your experiences really mean, but don't give up on things getting a whole lot better! This crumby disease does a number on us and the stuff we have to take to get rid of it and hopefully keep it from coming back are awful!
Keep believing in your ability. Just give it some time and be easy on yourself! The really great you is still down in there! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Sheila

Melanie
I just had my dose yesterday of Taxol and Herceptin, and with 2 hours sleep last night I may have to rewrite this.
I am just thinking, do they think it could be some sort of post traumatic stress disorder? Just a thought as many of the symptoms seem to fit into that catagory....
I am hoping over time you will feel better and the symptoms you are having will gradually decrease...you have put in a very hectic 2 years dealing with alot...it will take time to get back to the old Mel!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Christine MH-UK

Hold on just a bit longer!

I notice that you have just finished the year of herceptin. I would wait to see what things are like over the next few weeks and certainly no earlier than the middle of November before making any big decisions about work.

When I was on herceptin, I developed many of the problems in thinking that you mention, such as an inability to follow plots and problems recalling the correct word. I started in September 2005 and was a complete mental basketcase over the summer. Like you, I wondered if I was up to my job, which is demanding and requires excellent verbal skills. Fortunately, the problems went away after I finished my year of herceptin. As I recall, I was doing much better within six weeks of finishing treatment. I tried to get my oncologist interested in this phenomenon, but he wasn't interested in investigating it.

I know some people have developed visual problems while on herceptin.

I am not sure that all your problems can be traced back to herceptin, but I suspect your mental fog will lift pretty soon.

This phenomenon has been discussed before in these forums in postings labelled 'herceptin brain,' so you are not alone.

Don't worry about the length of your posting. If it is causing you serious worry, it is worthwhile for us to help you with it.

Best wishes,

Christine MH-UK

Last edited by Christine MH-UK; 10-31-2008 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: wanted to say more
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
dlaxague

Hi, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I can relate to how upsetting this all is, although my issues don't include all of the same things that you are experiencing.

I'm sure that you know and that your neurologist has noted that what's weird about your symptoms are their sudden onset, and the nausea and vision component. The nausea sounds to me like a motion-sickness kind of thing - does it seem that way to you? Even though you're not moving, your eyes are somehow rocking your brain, so it could be part of the vision component and not a stomach thing.

With the exception of the attention, the visual problems and the nausea, you described pretty closely what I would write for my symptoms. I have not had trouble with anything significant at work - although getting through a day exhausts me far more than it used to and I think much of that is not the physical work but the mental strain of constantly monitoring myself to make sure I have not forgotten something. I can no longer multi-task which is sometimes a benefit, as I have learned to focus on only one thing at a time and thus probably that one thing benefits. However, sometimes circumstances demand multi-tasking and then I get worried.

I've been wondering if I should get evaluated, but that scares me. (head firmly in sand, please do not tug). I am 7 years out from treatment. Like you, I did not think that I was much affected until 6 months to a year after treatment ended (about when I started taking an AI so I've blamed that but it could have been coincidence). And the onset was not at all sudden, as you describe yours. Of course I had the usual side effects and fatigue and such during treatment but was not aware of losing this multi-tasking ability. Since the cognitive changes began, my awareness of the problem has waxed and waned. A blunder that seems major to me will arise and I will pay more attention to my state for awhile, getting worried that it's worsening. And then things will go more smoothly (or my life will go more smoothly, demanding less from me) and I'll decide I'm okay enough, after all. Right now, I'm on high alert, after making several stupid mistakes a few weeks ago (not at work) when I was wearing too many hats during a busy period.

Anyway. I've been talking to a few others who have similar issues. One woman who was evaluated soon after completing treatment quit her high-functioning job and went on disability. Hard at first but she has found other ways to use her intellect which still remains wonderfully intact. She says that garden-variety neurologists are not up to dealing with this. She recently attended a seminar on brain injury that talked not of chemo-brain specifically but of brain injury secondary to anoxia (lack of oxygen) and what it means to lose "executive function" of the brain and the symptoms were pretty identical. So I wonder if you might get more satisfaction from seeking out a neurologist who specializes in this sub-specialty. Are you near a big city where there would be such choices?

The frustrating part of this for me is that even if we find the right provider who can evaluate and diagnose, there is not much that they can do about it. There are the ritalin-like drugs but they have significant side effects. I recently read an interview about cognitive issues on breastcancer.org and they said that "mental exercise" does not help. Here's the link to that interview: I found it interesting, but a little condescending plus I thought they spent too much time on what the problem could be, other than brain damage from chemo (depression, inactivity, blah, blah). Here's a link to that interview (click on "read the transcript"):

http://support.breastcancer.org/site....0&dlv_id=5261

tinyurl:
http://tinyurl.com/5dxcbk

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
naturaleigh

Melanie,

I do not have any anwers for you, but I do have the majority of your symptoms.

My legs will not move at night and when I try to move them or stretch it fells like my mucusles are going to pop. I have very little reflexes in my legs anymore. My neurologist gave me medicine for restless leg syndrome, but I refused to take it. He also gave me medicine for Altymerzers (spelling??)to help with my cognitave and memory problems. I still have not decided on that medication. (He gave me some free samples to try)

I am going to try another doctor (I hope) to see what he/she has to say about my symptoms. Another problem I am having which I did not expect is I am reaching the end of my life time max with my insurance.

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and yes, you do belong here, even though my greatest wish would be than none of us belong here. But what a great site to belong to since we do all belong to this type of group.

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Gerri

It sounds like a combination of things, some treatment related. Has any doctor suggested it may be Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)? Here is a link that describes many of your symptoms:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vertigo/DS00534

I worked through chemo and beyond and thought I was doing quite well - a little slower than normal, but noticeable to only those closest to me. It really hit home how much this really did effect me when I couldn't remember the exact date of my son's birthday - very unsettling. Another instance was not remembering the last name of my aunt, whom I saw constantly growing up. I actually had to go through my address book page by page until I found it - YIKES! Now, 2+years out from treatment I still feel a little woozy at times. I just had a brain MRI and it was fine.

Keep looking for answers. Maybe throw an ENT into the mix to get another opinion.

Best of luck to you!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault

Last edited by Gerri; 10-31-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
rebecca0623

Melanie - I just wanted to add my support and say that I appreciate each and every post as they all inform me, and I am sure others, and make us aware of possible treatment issues and outcomes. I echo the support from the others who have posted and please keep us updated on your condition. I continue to work daily through treatment and have had some dizziness and inattention to detail unless I focus much more than I did pre-bc. Even those few symptoms are so frustrating I can only imagine what you are feeling. My love and best wishes to you.

Rebecca
HER2 +, invasive ductal carcinoma
Quadrantectomy right on 7/30/08
Path report, all 3 nodes taken were clear!!!!!!
Lymphatic/vascular invasion and sent out BRCA testing
Port in on 9/2/08. Chemo began 9/3/08. TCH (MUGA wrong - echocardiogram says 65% cardiac MRI 59% 9/10/98 elevated liver enzymes, PET scan 9/16/08 all clear.
TC ended 12/17/08
Port blood clot and hosp. 1/2/09
radiation begins 1/8/09

BRCA testing done - results NEGATIVE!

cardiologist said go back to coreg as it helps counteract heart effects of herceptin and slowly increase dosage - now 40mg daily.
rebecca0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
chrisy

Gerri stole my thought.

Melanie, much of what you describe could be residual "chemobrain" - and I agree with what others have said, it takes at least a year to really get closer to normal. That the MRI was clear is great news, although I know it doesn't help with how you are feeling physically.

I have a coworker who had positional vertigo and it was just horrible - and similar to some of the symptoms you are experiencing. But once they figured it out, she was able to get back to normal.

Hope you find some answers soon - and as Chelee said, of course your post belongs here!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
AlaskaAngel

Mixture of symptoms

Melanie,

With the continuing severity of your symptoms and the impact on your daily life and your job, you are experiencing significantly disabling problems. I wish I could answer whether they all related to treatment or not, and give you specific answers to help solve them. This site is here especially for your kind of comments.

I too wonder if you have problems related to the ear(s) that an ENT doc with lots of experience might help you with. The risks you are having to take and cope with both for yourself and others are most concerning and I hope that you are able to take whatever action is truly appropriate for managing them even though it might limit your own activities. The level of disability you describe is high.

Please continue to let us know how you are doing. I'm sorry you are in such tough circumstances.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
chicagoetc

I appreciate the posts. [I am writing down the recommendations/thoughts in a word document to look at later...because I won't remember otherwise.]

It is encouraging to hear that some of you started feeling better once the Herceptin was done or even a year out or more.

I have always had motion problems...so I take Meclizine three times daily (total of 75mg). It would put most people asleep. This has worked UNTIL June of 2008. Then everything seemed to jump to a new, higher level. Probably seeing an ENT doc wouldn't hurt. Everything else related to the vertigo is being addressed just by medications.

The attention/memory/cognition problems I think (and so do my doctors) are in a different category some how (though the changes occurred simultaneously). No one medically is saying it will change (or not). Rather they suggest that treating the symptoms is best right now.

The correlation with brain injury is one I've already noticed. The symptoms seem to be the same or similar to those with relatively minor brain injury/trauma. I'm trying everything I can...writing virtually everything down so I remember it later, taking 30 minute breaks when I start to become nauseous, trying to talk less so that I'm not embarrassed by repeating myself or not being able to put the sentences together.

It means a lot that others here have had/still have similar symptoms. It has been a hard year and more. And maybe the trauma of it all is something I'm avoiding.

[Rebecca, just starting out? By all means do not take what is written here as what will happen with you. Everyone in general seem to have a variety of symptoms, not necessarily the same as the next person.]

I agree with AlaskaAngel...this is pretty extensive and debilitating.

I hate that this is happening. I hope that things will get better but am not holding my breath. The cost is my job and some friendships (how do I relate to those I care about if I don't remember talking/being with them?).

I'd love to hear more from others of you. It helps that more of you have had similar experiences than I thought.

I will try to keep you up-to-date if something significant changes or works (or gets worse).

Melanie
Herceptin done (10/08)
Old 10-31-2008, 06:28 PM   #15
Gerri

Melanie,

One more thought. If you are on a lot of different meds for different reasons - and it sounds like you might be - you may want to "brown bag" all of them and bring them to your pharmacist and ask for a consultation. More times than not, pharmacists know a lot more about drug interactions than physicians do.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
juanita

my heart really goes out to you! i am now over 2 years out from treatments and i can tell you that things do get better. i do still have slight chemo brain, but it isn't as bad as it was. and i developed an ulcer during treatments, have you been checked for that? that has gotten better and i just watch what i eat. i do still have problems with my right ear, and so far no relief for that because they can't figure out what's wrong with it. so hang in there and anytime you need to vent we're here for you!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
Jackie07

Melanie,

Please make sure you have follow-up clinical exams the next couple of months. Here are two postings I made under the thread I had started in July: 'cognitive function (IQ) decline, anyone else?':

Just learned that my IQ had dropped 21 points since my last test in 2003 - based on the 19 neuropsychological batteries I took on the last day of June.

"Cognitive decline likely attributable to post-chemotherapy encephalopathy and the effects of frontal neoplasm and gammaknife treatment" is the 2nd heading of the 2-page report.

Were we depressed about the result? No. Actually both me and my poor hubbie were elated. He no longer suspects that I purposely try to irritate him. I no longer feel bad about losing my teaching jobs.

The neuropsychologist recommends a one year follow-up to "identify a possible concomitant dementia, such as Alzheimer's disease."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1. Given her memory difficulties and memory decline, she may benefit from an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, such as Aricept.

2. It is recommended that the strengths and weaknesses contained in the report be taken into consideration for present and future job training...preferably in a job that does not have a lot of memory or organization demands...

3. Her memory deficits may be augmented with external cues, such as calendars, journals, day planners, and lists. [But I often forgot 'where' I had written it down, or just couldn't find it. I also noticed that sometimes I would miss certain words I was reading - it's like I've got a selective attention problem.]

4. Neuropsychological re-evaluation is recomended in one year, or sooner if there is a prominent cognitive decline.

Our brain is a 'use it or lose it' organ. Please be sure to keep youself 'busy'
with good mental exercises.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 11-01-2008 at 06:53 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
fauxgypsy

Melanie, I have been having similar problems, though yours sound more extreme. I finished Herceptin in August and had Taxol as part of my treatment as well as carboplatin. Most of these symptoms have come up in the lsat few months. Or maybe I just started feeling well enough to notice them. I am hoping that it will resolve. I had wondered about vertigo. I have had it in the past but this feels different. Andi keeps telling me that I will have to learn a new normal but I haven't been able to let go of the old normal yet. Hope you feel better soon.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
Bill

Melanie, it sounds like you have received good counsel from these wonderful warriors on this site. I wish I could help more, but all I can offer is a bagful of warm wishes and a bucketful of prayers. Also, it seems like over the past year I have read many stories similar to yours, so you are not alone. Oh, by the way, please feel free to post as often and long as you like. We are all in this together, and you are helping others by sharing your knowledge.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #20
chicagoetc

It is encouraging to me (but sad too) that others of you are or have experienced similar symptoms.

An update:

Oncologist sent me to a oncology neurologist. He sent me for neuropsych testing. The neuropsych tester sent me to cognitive rehab and to a psychiatrist to try meds that might help. They are addressing symptoms only. There is some improvement in memory/attention. I also have organized my life around several notebooks that carry information I need depending on where I go. I've also started taking notes every time I meet with someone at work.

No one is doing much about the nausea yet (had to choose to start by addressing the memory/attention part or the nausea....but not both at the same time). Maybe too the Herceptin is wearing off? Hard to tell. I'm on two nausea meds from before (not enough) and have started drinking ginger ale (ginger is good for nausea) and, surprisingly enough, put a plug in one ear when I am typing, writing etc. I was able to be at my computer for two hours this afternoon at work...which is a good sign.

Work is good. I'm there halftime and can't count on getting better as fast I need to (with respect to work). HR told me I could go forward with my plan to move from half time to three-fourths starting in December and then back to fulltime starting in January. They also have in place a fall-back plan (various ways they can plug in short-term disability if things revert and get worse...or if I find I can't do my job...which I won't know for a few weeks).

So I'm not as scared as I was. Nor feeling as alone.

Thanks to each of you,
Melanie
Herceptin done (10/08)