HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
7andcounting

Smile Pre-meds and Navelbine

O.K. thanks to this wonderful board I learned that some of you were not doing premeds with their Navelbine. I had my 3rd Navelbine treatment this week and asked to not have the anti nausea and steriod drugs. The nurses were a bit concerned, but I am here to tell you that 28 hours later I have felt sooo much better to have not taken those premeds. I'm hoping that I am not early to draw this conclusion, but I'm hoping that if I was going to have nausea it would have already happened.

I had some side effects from the premeds, the 1st two times that I didn't like, but the main thing is I just feel better than I have the other two treatments.

I'll post again if anything changes, but for now....I'm just thankful for others sharing their experiences so I knew this was even a possibility!

Thanks!

Joyce
7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Chelee

Re: Pre-meds and Navelbine

Joyce,
I hate the pre-meds too...especially the steroids. But Navelbine did cause me nausea. Mild nausea, nothing serious...but then I did have the Zofran in my IV & would follow-up with my nausea pills at home for 3 days to be on the safe side.

I wasn't brave enough go go without Zofran--but maybe I would of been ok? I also had some heartburn that protonix took care of. Everyone is different so you just don't know till you try. Do be on guard because some times chemo's don't hit you till the 2nd or 3rd day. However I know other women that have never had any nausea with Navelbine..so hopefully all goes well.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.

Last edited by Chelee; 07-16-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
7andcounting

Hi Chelee,

I'm sorry Navelbine makes you feel ill. It's been 2 days since treatment and I still feel better than before when I would use the pre-meds. I didn't get Zofran, but something else. I can't remember the name. Yes, you are right, I know that I could still have problems, don't know if I do o.k. this time if down the road could have issues, but I'm taking it one day at a time and just being thankful that I feel better.

I keep trying to do what I can to have better quality of life. So much of the past 7 years I have not felt well b/c of the surgeries and the drugs, so I have wishful thinking that even though I am battling this disease I can live a somewhat normal life.....whatever that is!

Happy Saturday!

Joyce
Old 07-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
DeenaH

I refused steroids even on my first treatment of navelbine. I just had my third on thursday, so we are on the same schedule! I did 25mg of benedryl and 12 mg of zofran with my first treatment, 12.5mg benedryl and 12mg zofran with my second and third. Next week I'll forego the benedryl. I have had some queasiness, but less this time than last time. I took 1 8mg zofran yesterday and 1 today. I hope it keeps going well for you!
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
swimangel72

My first oncologist gave me Navelbine without any pre-meds - the only SE I experienced was some diarrhea that night (which was not serious). After 3 treatments with this onc, I switched to a new onc - his nurse gave me pre-meds (a steroid, forget the name) - and it gave me extremely painful gas and constipation for three days! For my next infusion I insisted they eliminate the pre-meds, and felt much better dealing only with the diarrhea........of course everyone is different, but I think with Navelbine, my first onc was very smart to withhold the pre-meds until they could see if I suffered any SEs. Why give unnecessary meds to patients if there's no guarantee they'll have SEs - it just causes another set of SEs! In my case - less was more.
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Barbara H.

I was never given pre-meds with Navelbine. I did have constipation issues and felt tired. My hair also thinned somewhat. It was not a difficult chemo, but I never felt great on it. I found TDM-1 much easier. I am currently on Herceptin/Tykerb. It is a very easy treatment for me.
Kind regards,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Trish

Good news Joyce-fingers crossed things stay well. I just watched the final 2 Harry Potter movies with my 14yo. One of the horcruxes (a necklace) made whoever was wearing it extremely impatient and agitated. I thought that is just like me on Dexamethosone! Nothing like 'roid rage. Hope the pre med free regime continues to work for you,
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
7andcounting

Hi,

Update is that today is Monday, and treatment was on last Thurs. and I felt better the entire time not being on premeds. Oh well, some news in this cancer journey is good...for me like this...and then some news is bad...I'll take whatever good I get!!

Joyce
Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Unregistered

Hi: I have been lurking for several weeks on several of these threads as I had a lot of questions on several chemo treatments.
I had originally been diagnosed in 2008 with breast cancer - had a mastectomy and restructuring at the same time. Chemo for four months followed by a year of Herceptin which was interrupted with a lymph dissection, followed by radiation. Herceptin continued till December 2009. Herceptin didn't work and I found a node in my neck March 2011 and after CT Scan found mets in my lungs. I found out my oncol tried to get me in the TDM-1 trials here but I was turned down because of the lymph node dissection in 2009 which the trials say it was a reoccurrence of the cancer even though my oncol said "NO" it was a node left from original surgery.
So I went on Xeloda and Tykerb starting June 2011, Didn't work, mets in the lungs progressed. I am supposed to start Navelbine next week and until than I am on oxy and dexamethasone for 10 days.
I didn't know about this steroid before - or is this same one that I would have been given while on taxol? If it is, I am thinking of refusing any more after this 10 days of prescription.

I don't have much hope but I have asked my oncol to advocate on my behalf to the drug co. for a "compassionate release" of the TDM-1. Is there anyone that has done this?

Thank for letting me sound off
Gail
Old 08-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Unregistered

Hi Gail,

I think it's awesome that your Dr. would try to advocate for you to get TDM-1. Hope that works.

Meanwhile, I hope that when you start Navelbine you will see great results. I'm sorry, I don't remember if the steroid I got with taxol is the same steroid I was given with Navelbine. With the Navelbine I just remember the steroid having some pretty unpleasant side effects, so I was glad when I discontinued the steroid that I could get by without it. I do not take the steroid or the anti-nausea drug.

Best wishes,

Joyce
Old 08-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Unregistered

Hi
My ong couldn't get me on Tdm1.
I have just had my second Navelbine. The first was 75%, the second was 85%. Since I am still on a steroid, morning only, no problem without any other pre med. I find that I am tired for a couple days only. The constipation is controllable so far. The only thing that I have had both times is bad heartburn the evening of the treatment. I'll be ready with the Gaviscon from now on!!

The only thing that is keeping me from getting out and getting some exercise is that I am on oxy 24/7. Have to find some small bottles to at least get out to the stores or mall for a walk.

Gail