HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Tsh low -- what does it mean?

All my blood #s are good. Thank Heavens!

But -- my TSH is low. T3 and T4 normal.

No symptoms.

Feel fine.

Been going on for at least 6 mnths...

Am switching endocrinologists. Old one was freaking me out. Found nodules on my thyroid. Wanted to do biopsy. No thank you very much -- I have had enough biopsies (especially in the last 6 mnths) -- to last a lifetime.

1 yr after nodules found -- stable. I'm good with that.

No symptoms.

Just a low TSH, which I call my "tish"... (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone.)

Anyone with some input, I would really appreciate your words!

So many smart, knowledgeable ladies, and men, on this board. Someone must have information about my sagging "tish" #s... As I say, T3 and T4 -- normal. All other #s normal! So...???????????
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Hopeful

Re: Tsh low -- what does it mean?

Andi,

Do you mean the lab value for thyroid stimulating hormone is low, or the level of it in your body is low?

I have what is called "sub-clinical" hypothyroidism, where the lab value of the thyroid stimulating hormone is high because my body is not properly processing the fact that my T3 and T4 are normal range, and thinks the level in the body is low. The thyroid stimulating hormone keeps screaming at the thyroid to produce more T3, hence, the value is high. If your lab value is low but T3 and T4 are normal, maybe the reverse, if there is such a thing as sub-clinical hyperthyroidism.

Best of luck to you,

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Yes, Hope, my old freaked out endocrin lady doc kept saying I am hyperthyroid, when I asked if I needed iodine cause I felt so sluggish.

She did not ever explain anything to me. I need docs to have a conversation with me. We're talking about my body, right?

She'd have a staff member call and in 30 or less tell me I needed a thyroid scan, or that I needed an uptake test. When I'd ask what the uptake test was they said, I don't know. You'd have to ask the hospital.

I googled and it's a 2 day test done in the hospital. They inject some radioactive stuff into you and you go and come back in an hr or two and get xrays.

Then you have to do this a 2nd day.

I was very turned off.

Didn't understand why I needed this. Called and asked for the doc to call me re my TSH. She never did.

When I called again I was told, Ma'am, we are concierge practice... In a very snippy voice.

So I'm scheduled w/a new doc who can't see me till mid Dec.

And it's all preying on my brain...

When you say sub-clinical, does that mean you aren't being treated for hypothyroid?

I'm confused.
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
KDR

Hi, Andi,
I have been meaning to get in touch. Checking in quickly. Much going on.

TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone.

I was hyperthyroid in 2001 (Graves Disease). I was given radioactive iodine and my thyroid was burned out, so I am now considered euthyroid. I take Synthroid daily and will have to for the rest of my life. By the way, I cannot take the generic Levothyroxine or I will be flat in less than three days. There is something in the binding agents that doesn't agree with me, so I MUST be on brand.

With as many years experience as I have, and knowing that medications can influence the correctness of numbers, as can weight issues, I would request a free T3 and T4 and TSH.

I can help you read the numbers if you don't understand what your endo says.

Love
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Aussie Girl

Dear Andi

The thyroid gets complicated once there are concurrent illnesses like cancer. You sound like you may have sub-clinical hyperthyroidism. This may or may not proceed on to full clinical hyperthyroidism. At this stage, it often just requires monitoring, but reduction in bone density can occur. Cardiac problems occur with clinical hyperthyroidism, but are much less likely if subclinical.

Personally, I'd consider having the radioactive scan to see if one of the nodules is "hot", a sign of overactivity. Hot nodules are almost never malignant. Diffuse increase in hotness (radioactivity) is more common in hyperthyroidism. Cold nodules on a scan can be either benign or malignant but the majority are benign (and many people have benign nodules). A fine needle biopsy is sometimes needed to check a nodule, particularly if it is growing or becoming dominant. All these tests are easy compared to breast cancer!

I don't like the sound of your endocrinologist much. A good primary care physician should know how to handle this also, but I know the medical system works differently in differently in the USA compared to Australia.

Good luck

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
'lizbeth

AndiBB - have you been eating your ocean caught sea food a couple times per week? How about some nice seaweed salad?

Whatever the problem I hope you can solve it more holistically.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
michka

Hi Andi. One year before my diagnosis of BC my doctor sent me for a thyroid ultrasound (echo). It showed I had 50 small nodules and the Dr who did the biopsy did a biopsy during an echo of the largest ones. The report came back saying I had "pre cancerous" cells. My thyroid was then taken out and I am now on Levotyrox. I thought the biopsy was ridiculous and that I was loosing my time. I was so surprised when it came back. The biopsy was really nothing compared to the biopsy I had in the breast.
A lot of women on this site seem to have had problems with their thyroid before or after BC. Is it linked? Maybe one day we will know.
Andi, if you can have a biopsy just during an echo, I would do it.
Love. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Hopeful

Andi,

"Sub-clinical" refers to the fact that while my T3 and T4 are normal, my TSH levels are not, and, the direction they are heading, I would be fully hypothyroid if they hit a value of 10, regardless of where the T3 and T4 values are (mine have hovered between 6 and 7 since I first had them tested in 2004). I have other symptoms consistent with hyopthyroidism, mainly some early bradycardia, which, in turn, causes hypertension. In short, I am a mess! There is controversy in the medical community about when to treat sc hypo/hyper thyroidism. A good endocrinologist is essential.

The link between thyroid and bc is iodine - the thyroid is the organ that uses the most iodine in the body, followed by the breast. R.B. has a thread on this in the nutrition forum, if anyone wants to take a look there.

Hopeful
Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
rhondalea

First, you need a new endo.

Second, you need to ask that your antibodies be tested--what you've described sounds a lot like Hashimoto's to me, and it's quite common a condition these days.

Third, consider adding 100 micrograms of selenomethionine*to your daily regimen.

I suppressed lifelong thyroid antibodies and a hot nodule using selenium--200 micrograms/day for a year until the antibodies and nodule were gone, followed by a drop to 100 micrograms/day. It's best to get to the lower dose sooner than later, because higher doses increase the risk of type 2 diabetes. (I was unaware of this risk when I was taking 200 micrograms.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

The studies about selenium, nodules and antibodies are equivocal--some have shown excellent results, others not so much, so I'm at a loss about which links to post. Anecdotally, it worked for me, and I know others for whom it also gave good results.

My own endo did nothing but a thyroid ultrasound, and then we kept watch. But I had a known case of Hashimoto's and just one nodule. If it were me, and my labs came back antibody free, I think I'd have the recommended scans.

Be aware that T3 can drive breast cancer. (I tell you this just in case someone suggests natural dessicated thyroid to you as a cure-all.) Also be aware that iodine can exacerbate an existing thyroid problem, so until you know what's going on, it's best not to use it. (I get 100 micrograms of iodine a day from kelp; the rest comes from iodized salt. Although there's a lot of hoopla about high doses of iodine, I'm not convinced it's a good idea, so I keep my intake around 250 micrograms a day.)

(*That's what I used, but I understand that se-methyl l-selenocysteine is also good.)

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
rhondalea

P.S. What are your precise lab numbers, Andi? (Please include the lab ranges.)
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
'lizbeth

Yes AndiBB - inquiring minds want to know! What is your tish?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Andrea Barnett Budin

THIS IS FOR INQUIRING MINDS WILLING TO VENTURE FORWARD... Apologies for the length, but you all know me...

Well, first thank you all for the info! Got more from y'all in a day than I got from my endocrin lady over a year! There is no discussion w/her. No conversational exchange of ideas and questions. Just commands from a staffer who has no idea what she's asking you to do or why, nor does she care.

Doc was obviously shaken by my low TISH... She surreptitiously tested me for Grave's disease I discovered when her staffer called w/my lab results, which I asked to have faxed. Then re-faxed cause -- illegible. Still illegible. I googled Graves. Geez. Communicate with patient -- she must have missed class that day.

Basically "healthy, non-thyroidal disease, Thyroid disease without Grave disease and Untreated Graves disease -- all good, though I only see smudged ink. I was told, by staffer.

Thyroid anti TSH receptors .9 (in a range of 0.0 - 1.8)

TSH .67 (in a range of .49 - 4.67)
FREE T4 -- .92 (in a range of .71 - 1.85)
I was told Free T3 also normal, though I don't see it.

3 mnths later Free T4 -- 1.1
TSH -- .31 -- OH DEAR!!!

This doc diagnosed my husband w/Hashimoto's hypothyroid and he's on Synthroid.

She says I am hyperthyroid.

That is the sum total of what she's told me.

Internist (I had my records sent to his office) says, when there are nodules over 1 cm they like to biopsy. Usually the biopsy is benign but sometimes results are unclear. Then they like to remove thyroid. (I'm not into that so much...)

Internist did another thyroid scan, compared to last years, as I am stable.

Seeing new endo guy mid Dec, as that is his first available appt.

I LOVE MY NEW TEAM! You all rock! Thank you for caring.

You all sound smarter than my bright endo lady who has absolutely no social skills whatsoever.

I thank each of you for your wisdom and experience and willingness to share what you know with me.

The endo lady was hyperventilating so at the last visit I asked her if she thought I had cancer. (Finally got my courage up.) She shot back, What?! NO!!! Okay, then why are you so upset?, I asked.

She was pacing. She didn't finish her physical exam of me, gathered her records, and left the room.

I had told her, BTW, I checked that supplement I stopped and THERE WAS NO IODINE IN IT. Are you sure, she said. Rustled her papers, said she was sure she'd made a note of that. (She'd mentioned it at last 3 mnth visit so I had to check, cause I wouldn't take iodine just like that no matter what.) Apparently being told she was wrong was too much for her to handle.

I had waited an hr for her that last day. I'd sent a FAX to her, as she never ever returns my phone calls, asking for some thoughts and guidance re my TSH. I suppose I was pissy sounding cause I was just that! No one ever returns calls from that snippy office. Even the office manager.

Endo lady hates my supplements list, wants to know -- WHERE ARE THE STUDIES???, and obviously judges me. I explained my oncological nutritionist had recommended every one. He was a prof at Cornell Strang Institute in NY. Knows his stuff!

She blamed my supplements for my low TSH. I had recently started a new one, given to me by my holistic chiropractor (you can imagine how well that went over with endo lady) and said I would stop immediately.

Endo lady wanted to retest the next wk. I explained that we should wait a few mnths to give the supplement a chance to work its way out of my body. She reluctantly agreed. More hyperventilating on her part.

Rhonda -- I take an immune booster daily (twice a day vs the recommended 3x a day, cause it's so darn expensive, and among the least expensive of the list of boosters my nut onc gave me). It has selenium in it. 200 mcg. So I've been taking 400 mcg a day for about 12 yrs, with TISH lowness only in the last yr.

I know Dr. Andrew Weill recommends 200 of selenium. Didn't think that I was taking twice that, but lots of my supplements are high dosage, as nut onc feels studies that prove some ineffective are based on lower dosages. And, I have to say, I believe I agree, since I got through 9 mnths of Taxotere and the last 14 yrs following my nut oncs advice.

I don't have symptoms of Hashimoto, or Graves. I have no symptoms but 27 yrs of hotness, which stopped with holistic lady's porcine glandular mixture, which I took for 2 mnths and never took again. And IBS, which is not an issue w/thyroid I don't think.

Thanks Rhonda for the heads up re dissicated thyroid. It would creep me out, just by the sound of it. (My mother lived on Synthroid with low energy for most of her life.) I have had low energy since my teens.

I'm receiving Byetta injections twice a day, trying to prevent me from becoming a type 2 diabetic. I have always had slightly high glucose #s (? my norm ??) and was gestational diabetic in '68 and '70 when I gave birth to healthy baby girls (9 lbs 10 oz and 9 lbs 13 oz)...

Will check out the link you provided and google se-methyl l-selenocysteine and all you mentioned!!! (Take Acetyl Cysteine through nut onc.)

Will consider switching immune boosters and taking less selenium separately. OY. So much to consider.

My TSH was higher 6+ yrs ago through to 2012...

T3 and T4 always normal.

Have had hypertension since pre bc, my late '30s, though it was hard to find a doc to admit to it. They kept saying I was probably just nervous at my routine exam. I would say, No... Then I took my bp 3 x a day for a mnth and brought my readout to the doc (top doc, of course). He said, You're machine is broken.

My husband agreed. We bought a new machine. Then when I had a D&C, wrote the week's worth of bp 3x a day for the anesthesiologist in '93 (pre bc) I was told after surgery that I need to see a cardiologist. That even under anesthesia my bp was high. They just didn't/don't regard women as a heart risk!!

I see a cardiologist ev 6 mnths and my bp is excellent, under control. Get an ECHO now annually, ev 6 mnth during 10 yrs of Herceptin. Small peri-cardial effusion remains since Taxotere. (Pleural effusion from Taxotere dissipated after cessation of Taxotere...)

Have to look for RB's thread on thyroid and bc, thanks Hope...

No kelp, no seaweed salad. YUCK

Hyperthryroid is counter-intuitive to me. I am sluggish. Always. Where's the energy rush???? But doc says hyper. Aussie Girl, I think I am sub-clinical. I think I'll just stay there, and not progress. Will work on that. VISUALIZING. IMAGINING. Guided Imagery.

XXX AND OOOO to all of you, I await...

Andi

Old 11-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
'lizbeth

Let's see you don't like seaweed, don't take kelp. Is seafood off the menu? No problem I'll be at the sushi house eating your share

You stopped taking iodine and now your TSH is dropping.

I have read that TSH has another function besides thyroid hormone production. It helps to stimulate the body's production of iodine transport cells (sodium-iodide symporter - NIS) Without adequate NIS iodine would not be able to enter the cells and be utilized.

An iodine-deficient patient's body does not require a large amount of NIS since there is little iodine that needs to be transported into the cells.

When this patient supplements with iodine, the extra iodine needs to be transported into the cells. One way the body accomplishes this is to increase TSH to stimulate more NIS.

When is the last time you had your iodine levels checked?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Andrea Barnett Budin

I love shrimp and lobster, clams and scallops.

No salad. Feh.

What does kelp do for you?

NO, 'LIZBETH, I never took iodine. Endo doc lady "thought" it was in my supplement and that is why TSH dropped. She was wrong. She didn't like that I told her she was mistaken. She insisted she had it in her notes. But she was so flustered by my obstinence re having another scan, which she has been literally pushing ev 3 mnths...

She said, I don't understand, you are so diligent about the rest of your body, why...

I said (Oct.) -- with hand gestures -- BECAUSE THERE'S A LINE. I JUST HAD A MESENTERY MASS AND HAD SURGERY IN JUNE AND IT WAS BENIGN. (Because they found something new in my CT scans.) I just had a core needle biopsy in my right breast, my only breast, b/c they found something new in August. And that was benign. And then I had a corneal abrasion that blinded me with pain for 5 days (b/c of an accident with one of my dog's paws). I am shaken. Feeling vulnerable. Need to calm myself. Can't be jumping from one medical emergency to another... Just not ready.

I asked the doc about my sluggishness (I take b-12 and tyrosine and a batch of other energy boosters daily) and asked about iodine. She insisted that, No, I am hyperthyroid, NO IODINE. She was adamant.

I think I read that a low TISH can be confusing and in fact be a sign of hypothyroidism cause the body is confused... Lord knows I'm confused.

No one has ever checked my iodine, unless -- I will check back w/my records when we had a wonderful female endo lady who moved away. I so trusted her, as did Paul. In fact, we were both in love with her...

Get back to you on that...

Andi

Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
rhondalea

Andi, I know you've posted your supplement list before, but if you would be kind enough to do it again, I'd like to look at it. I'd also like to know precisely which antibodies were tested. See the table on this page:

http://labtestsonline.org/understand...odies/tab/test

Can you look at your labs and see if TPO and thyroglobulin were also tested?

It could very well be that some of your supplements are suppressing your TSH (been there, done that), which might explain why your FT4 is pathetically low. Hyperthyroid? More like hypo, although I'd really like to see the T3. Yeesh. Your endo is a nut case.

Note that hypertension can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. Mine goes the other way--I have low blood pressure that gets lower as I get more hypo--but most people are not like me in that regard.

You need to lower the selenium asap. Way too much, and it's clearly not doing anything for your nodules.

The only other thing I'd suggest at the moment is that if you're willing to drive 3 hours, there's a wonderful endo in Lake Mary. Until I found my current endo here in New Jersey, I seriously considered flying back and forth to Florida to continue seeing her rather than settling for substandard care. Luckily, I found a good endo who is closer, but I still miss Dr. Ansara. She's just amazing (and she also has hypothyroidism, so she's more sympathetic that an endo who is not similarly afflicted).

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
Old 11-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #16
Aussie Girl

Dear Andi,

I think you are safe to wait until you see the new endocrinologist. Both hyper and hypothyroidism make you tired/sluggish as well as a zillion other things.

If I got this right, I think you are saying that the problem is low TSH despite normal FT4 and T3. Previously you've have normal tests. The commonest cause of this pattern is subclinical hyperthyroidism, a second common cause is accidental or intentional ingestion of a thyroxine supplement (Yes, this happens more than you'd think because people think it'll pep them up). Non-thyroidal illness, a few drugs including steroids and rarely pituitary disease (secondary hypothyroidism) could cause this pattern. Thyroiditis of any sort can cause fluctuating hyper- and hypothyroidism but usually the antibody tests show what the problem is.

The second issue is the thyroid nodules which seem to be long standing. Rarely a thyroid nodule can independently pump out too much T4. I think this quite unlikely. A radioiodine scan would be needed to exclude this. It may not be necessary, but you need that second opinion in December.

I don't think your original endocrinologist was completely off track, but her communication skills and manners (including those of her staff) appear suboptimal, to say the least.

Thyroid hormone levels adjust slowly (6 weeks) so it would be best not to change your supplements before you see the new doctor. It could confuse things. He/she may need to test you again to see if the low TSH was only a temporary glitch.

It would probably help if you could hand him a written copy of your health summary, your medications and current supplements. And any prior thyroid tests, including antibodies. It can get difficult for doctors when the history is complicated. Supplements taken in the distant past probably aren't an issue.

Most people get sufficient iodine and selenium in their diet but your nutritionist will have checked this.

Good luck with this.

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
Hopeful

Quote:
Be aware that T3 can drive breast cancer
I believe this is true in my case. My cancer was dx within a year of my doc putting me on limited synthroid to resolve the TSH issue. After 3 months, I developed incredible itching, which I later learned was a cancer symptom. I stopped the drug, and was dx a few months later at my annual screening. I have subsequently undergone testing for thyroid antibodies (3 different kinds) and I came up negative for all of them. My TSH is still in that 6 - 7 range, not getting higher with time. Unfortunately, it does affect my pulse and bp. My doc says the bp issue cannot be resolved unless the TSH issue is. It is a catch 22.

Hopeful
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
'lizbeth

Andi,

Have you been avoiding salt because of your high blood pressure?

See - that cracks me up. I've had this conversation before with my medical team.

Doctor, I've been taking Kelp for breast pain - do you think I'm deficient in iodine? I've been tested for hypothyroid several times over the last few years, and iodine deficiency has been linked to breast cancer.

Oh you get plenty of iodine in your diet from iodized salt.

But doctor, you told me to avoid salt because I have high blood pressure.

Oh. Subject dropped.

These daily recommended intakes are just that - recommendations. As you can see everyone is so different. If one supplements with too much selenium - it causes problems. Me - with too little selenium and iodine (kelp) and I have fatigue and pain. But since you and Rhondalea both have a tendency toward high blood sugar - you might want to consider reducing supplementing selenium and eat more brazil nuts.

I do find it interesting that an endocrinologist would not actually test for levels of iodine if you seem to have hypothyroid and a history of breast cancer. It makes me suspicious of an expert who would insist on expensive and possibly harmful tests before offering a simple urine test. But this is something that likely should have been done years ago, and now you have these nodules, yikes!

AussieGirl - the system must be different in Australia. I saw a nutritionist and I was never tested for my iodine levels. I'm not comfortable with just assuming, even if the medical community is.

Well Andi I'm glad you are firing your concierge endocrinologist. Bleh, not for you!

You can eat more ocean caught fish and decrease exposure to goitrogens to see how you feel with the fatigue. Avoid pastries and breads processed with bromide. Reduce exposure to fluoride in water and toothpaste. Reduce exposure to chloride. Eat less cabbage, brussel sprouts, and broccoli.

I think not switching up things with supplements before testing again at the new and improved endocrinologist is sound advice. And listing them for our thyroid savy members might help find culprits that are getting your thyroid counts off.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
rhondalea

No, not brazil nuts. The amount of selenium in brazil nuts is highly variable, and sometimes it's just plain high. Dangerously so. Better to control the dosage with a pill and a food diary that tracks selenium. (I track all my nutrients from food so I don't over-supplement, and I never eat brazil nuts.)

The I-am-not-sure-this-is-a-reputable-source article:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blo...-selenium.html

The study (abstract only):

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...527.x/abstract

Aflatoxins in brazil nuts:

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/22045...razil_nuts.pdf

A more optimistic study that ignores all of the above:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/2/379.full

I don't tend toward high blood sugar, btw. When my endo stuck the Dexcom on me, my results were pretty scary--I was going into the 40s while I slept, and I wasn't getting very good glucose levels during the day either. It's better now, though. I feel very lucky to have been accepted into the metformin trial, because I was afraid hypoglycemia would be cause for rejection.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Andrea Barnett Budin

Thank you, Rhonda for the link. Very edifying.

I'll search my "files" for TPO, thyroglobulin (neither rings a bell in my head). Am also interested if I was ever tested for iodine as I've been complaining of low energy for 5 yrs (w/first endo lady who was the best and now gone endo lady who is/was such a bad match for me). Been saying I feel hypo, but told I am hyper...

I have cut back on my immune booster w/200 mcg selenium as of last night (take on empty stomach)!! I was thinking my body was sending me that message for a while, as I get crampy (IBS) when I take it. Well, I get crampy all the time, so... But I got YOUR message Rhonda loud and clear.

Dr. Andrew Weil says selenium has antioxidant effects that help the body address cellular damage from free radicals. One of its most valuable roles is as a cofactor of an important antioxidant enzyme in the body called glutathione peroxidase.

Selenium helps support a strong immune system, regulates thyroid function, and may help reduce the risk of some cancers. It also plays a role in the prevention of cataracts and heart disease.

Weil takes 200 mcg a day and that's what he recommends.

My endo has been testing for A1C, FT3 and FT4 (though as I said I can't find any of the 3 #s) and TSH. Not much else. Will check older records of 1st great endo lady to see if I at least have a base line.

I am posting my supplements list below!

Since I've been taking my supplements since 1998 and my thyroid #s were normal/fine till about a yr ago, shortly after going on a new supplement for hot flashes of 27 yrs, I would be surprised if new low TSH #s come from tried and true supplements. I stopped the new supplement within 2 mnths -- was cured of hot flashes!!!!!!!!! -- and have retested sev x, w/the #s I posted above in previous post.

Have had the hypertension since I was in my 40s. Now 69. High bp ev x I saw doc was dismissed as, You're probably nervous. Then at end of visit would retest bp and still wayyy high. Dismissed again.

Finally, I was told to take my bp at home. We have a machine. Come back in a mnth. Brought 3x a day readout for a mnth to doc. He said my machine must be broken!

My husb agreed and bought a new machine!

When I had a D&C in '93, I brought the anesthesiologist a wk's work of 3 x a day readout of my bp. I was scared.

After surgery, I was told I needed to see a cardiologist cause even under anesthesia -- my bp was high!!!

Women were/are not taken seriously as heart attack risks!!! Crazy!!!

When I had my records transferred from awful endo lady, I called previous best ever endo lady. She's not taking new patients but loved my husband and me and would take us. However, from what I told her, she said I would need a lot of testing and follow up and I/we can't commit to regular 1 hr trips to Miami. I had thought a one time visit would be helpful.

No a 3 hr trip to your fab endo lady isn't in us. But thanks for suggestion(s), Rhonda!

I responded earlier today to you and everyone who was kind enough to post in this TSH thread, but as I hurried out the door to my annual ophthalmologist appt, I accidentally hit a wrong button and deleted 30 minutes of my life! Don't you hate when that happens?! Ugh...

Aussie, I see you too know a lot on this subject. Why I have not been tested for antibodies is roiling me at this point. Hello. My Sisters know this, why not you doc??!!

Will get 2nd opinion mid Dec. Friday the 13th. 13 is my lucky #...!!!

I'll take your advice and stick with my program for now so as not confuse any future bld results... Though I have cut my selenium in half!!

I doubt I get sufficient nutrition from my diet as b/c of IBS I have a very long list of trigger foods.

I do eat fish. No fruit. Some veggies. NO nuts. NO corn. And the list goes on...

Hopeful, curious what the 3 antibodies you were tested for were?

I thought once you were on Synthroid, you can never go off?

So many interesting thoughts circulating here!!

Yes, 'Lizbeth, I avoid salt.

Your back and forth w/doc is almost comical. Yet pathetic...
Docs need to "focus".

For my fatigue I take a powder w/OJ ea AM (for chronic fatigue), B-12 lozenge (3,000) and Tyrosine (500). Not sure Tyrosine is in my supplement list below, but it helps boost me up. I would be a total slug without these helpers.

For aches and pains -- Co Enz Q10 -- 150 AM/PM -- Carnitine -- 500 AM/PM -- Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 AM/PM. MAKES A BIGGG DIFFERENCE!

Can't eat nuts, 'Lizbeth, which I adore! Am high just above normal range glucose always. Was gestational diabetic, delivering 2 dghtrs ('68 and '70) @ 9 lbs 13 oz and 9 lbs 10 oz. Their normal head size saved me, but I was pretty torn up.

On Byetta injections twice a day to keep me from becoming diabetic. Am holding at just above normal on glucose...

Yes, 'Lizbeth, I said to my husb that I think she wanted the thyroid U/S (never discussed w/me but directed to do so my a staffer in a 30 sec 700 mpm phone call) cause of $$$. Done in her office.'

Again, I do so appreciate all of you taking the time and trouble to help me with my issue of the day.

This is a hurdle I am just flummoxed by. Surgery last June for my mesentery mass mystery which was B 9....!!! And my surgery in August for my other something new w/clear mammo but not so w/U/S (which I request cause lobular hides -- and apparently all w/dense breasts have hidden stuff) also B 9...!!!

Stable since '99. After 10 yrs on Vit H, now 5 yrs off, I was feeling not cocky, but comfortable. Still shaken by the trauma around the surgery (pre and post) and the 5 days waiting for needle biopsy results (really sweating that out over a long weekend), now dealing w/my thyroid issue.

AND THE AMAZING THING IS -- I FEEL GOOD. HEALTHY AND WELL. Just not enough pep. Same problem since my teens.
Chemo sure didn't help. Which you all know. And the emotional toll of dealing w/4th stage bc is a really big too, which you all also know all too well!!

With my love, as always,

Andi

PS -- Rhonda, can't believe all you know and do and have been through! You sound somewhat like me in the OCD department. But I could never keep track of all my nutrients. It's all I can do to stick w/my program. I am religious about taking my supplements. I believe they are essential to my health.

HERE'S MY LIST -- geez almost forgot! Please don't freak out when you see this list. I think of it as my lifeline, my maintenance therapy. I perceive these supplements as I do my bld pressure meds -- essential to my health and well-being.

Yes, I know lots of people think I'm crazy. But I am still here! Against all odds. And this is what I believe has helped bring me to this day...

Acidophilus 15/35 AM/PM -- probiotic for controlling
digestive IBS issues
Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 AM/PM -- detoxifies liver, antioxidant, neutralizes free radicals, protects cells from damage -- AND RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN -- IN COMBINATION WITH THE NEXT 2:

Co-Enzyme Q10 -- 150 AM/PM -- which also enhances immune system, prevents cancer cell proliferation, energizes, healthy heart, good gums -- RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN --

IN COMBINATION WITH Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 and L-Carnitine 500 AM/PM

L- Carnitine 500 AM/PM -- assists gastric absorption, energizes, heart healthy, immune booster -- RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN
Arginine 500 sustained and immediate release AM --
strengthens heart, elevates EF
B-1, B-2, B-5 -- 100 ea
B-6 50 AM, heart healthy, energizes, helps repair nerve damage, good for skin
B-12 sublingual (3,000) -- energy
Chromium Piccolinate 400 AM
Potassium Albion 99 AM/PM

WHEN I HAVE MY COMPREHENSIVE BLOOD WORK DONE I ASK THAT B-12 AND D BE INCLUDED SO I CAN KEEP TABS ON BEING IN THE NORMAL RANGE. I save every report ever written about me and keep them in a NO MORE CANCER file at home. I compare the new with the last, line by line.

That is how I -- yes "I" -- found my metastases. Asked for liver sono, which led to CT which led to biopsy. My tumor markers were still within normal range. But my liver enzymes were ever so slightly different from MY USUAL. Doc kept saying, I wouldn't worry about it. It is very very slight. Well, YOUR #s generally follow a trend. If they vary, I see red flags. Just saying...

C-1,000 w/bioflavonoids 1,000 -- enhances immune system, reduces recurrence of cancer
Calcium 1200 -- easy to swallow gel capsule increases
bone density
D-3 -- 50,000 a week. I take 10,000 over 5 days a week. For healthy bones, blocks breast cancer cell growth, meets your body's organs increasing need for D as we age. BE KIND TO YOUR ORGANS. THEY DEPEND ON YOU.
Phenalalanine 500 AM empty stomach -- mood enhancer

Folate w/Quatrefolic 400 mcg AM empty stomach --
heart healthy, red blood booster
Gingko Biloba Extract 60 AM/PM -- mental alertness
Grapeseed Extract 150 AM -- anti-oxidant, can cross blood-brain barrier and protect brain and spinal nerves against free radical damage, enhances anti-tumor effect, protects liver, strengthen connective tissue, including heart system, supports immune system and slows aging

Resveratrol 250 AM/PM -- anti-oxidant, heart healthy, anti-cancer, HER2 blocker

NAC (N-Acetyle Cysteine) 600 AM -- supports healthy liver function, rids body of toxins

NADH -5Co Engzyme 1 (AM/PM) 1/2 hr before eating -- relieves chronic fatigue, boosts mental acuity

Omega 3 - 2,126 -- suppresses tumors, inhibits their growth, may slow or prevent recurrence of cancer, improves blood glucose, good for muscle/joint pain, anti-inflammatory, down regulates HER2 receptor

DIM-Plus (Diindolylmethane) 100 AM/PM -- metabolizes
estrogen

Phyto Formula -- 1 scoop w/OJ -- promotes energy BIG TIME, reduces chronic fatigue, boosts immune system and increases mental clarity + 1 banana a day!

RM-10 Garden of Life Immune System Mushroom Blend VEGETARIAN CAPSULES -- AM on empty stomach -- I take 1 --expensive but powerful in regulating and stimulating the immune system, anti-oxidant, detoxifier, reduces recurrence of bc --
WITH 200 mcg SELENIUM
ZINC 30 anti-cancer

Grapeseed Extract 150 AM -- anti-oxidant, enhances anti-tumor effect, protects liver, strengthens connective tissue, including heart system, supports immune system, slows aging

Glutamine -- 500 AM empty stomach -- assists gastro absorption, energizes
Lysine 500 AM empty stomach -- assists gastro absorption, energizes
NAC (N- Acetyl Cysteine) 600 AM -- supports liver function, rids body of toxins
Echinacea w/goldenseal 900 AM/PM -- 1 wk on / 1 wk off -- alternate w/
Astragalus

Flaxseed Oil 1,000 AM -- heart healthy, anti-cancer, detoxifies, improves brain function, helps painful, severely dry eyes since Taxotere '98

Thanks for reading all this, if you've actually made it this far... (((((( )))))) You are a most special, extraordinary person!!! And I am so grateful you're in my life!!!!!!!!!!