HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 03-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
david

Question

Hi my name is David and I’m from Chile, but I am now living in Perth, Western Australia.

I have a friend who lives in Chile who has breast cancer.
The problem is that in Chile only one private clinic (it is not available in the public system) there has the medication that can save her, but the cost is extremely high.
I would like to know if it is possible to get some information about somewhere (a clinic or Doctor in another country) that can sell this medication to her.

Here is information provided from her Doctor:

Medication: Trastuzumab (not sure if this is the same name in English as in Spanish)
Grade 3 Tumor
5 to 6 centimeters
HERB-2 Positive +++

Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards,
David Jaque
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
chrisy

Re: Question

Hi David,
Sorry to hear about your friend.

The medication you are looking for, trastuzumab, is also known by the name Herceptin. It is available in many countries but the cost is definitely an issue - even here in the US where it is standard of care.

Herceptin is manufactured by Genentech and they do have a program to help with payment, you could start by contacting their patient access program. Link to the site is below.

I don't know how this plays out in the international arena, but they may be able to offer some suggestions.

Also, there may be clinical trials in Chile which would include trastuzumab. There is a link to the US clinical trials page (with locations also in Chile) but this may not be all inclusive. Again, Genentech may have more complete info

Best to you and your friend,
Chris

http://www.genentechaccesssolutions....ient/index.jsp

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/result...umab+AND+chile
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Joe
Webmaster

All Genentech requires is that the patient be treated in the United States.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Sandra in GA

David,
The trial that Chris directed you to is a phase III study involving both trastubzumab (Herceptin) and lapatinib (Tykerb) that is world wide. Dr. Edith Perez at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville FL and a doctor Belgium are the principle investigators. Please look at the trial and give it serious consideration. I noticed three or four locations in Chile that are recruiting. The reason I know about this is because I just completed a stage II trial down at Mayo in Jacksonville. Lapatinib is also a targeted antibody like Herceptin, but it is an oral administration while Herceptin is intravenous. My lapatinib was provided free of charge while the Herceptin was billed to my insurance. I am sure if you contact one of the trial sites, they can give you a lot of information and assistance.

Good luck. Your friend is lucky to have you on her side.

Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote