HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
michele u

Robin and Joe and all...checking markers

I just got a thought. When I was in DC I asked why they don't look at women that responded and that are probably cured, and see what markers they had on their tumors. That way we would know what worked in that situation. This would be Christine, Barbara and others that are long term Her2 survivors. When i asked him that, he just said that they just don't do it that way. Why? It makes sense to me. Even like Gina that is stable , she has some marker on her tumor that is responding. I know that getting the markers done is now cheap, but hey, this could be just the thing that our site needs to keep us all around for a longgggg time! Maybe Joe could let us know what he thinks about this. I know my tumor is PTEN positive and weakly EGFR positive. I want to get some other markers checked too. Maybe someone that knows alot about markers etc could respond about this. There is the answer out there that has the right cocktail of drugs. We just need to find it!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
al from Canada

Michele, this really makes sense and I have thought about that as well. The one reason they wouldn't, that I can think of, as that the sampling would be so small and evidence would be anecdotal.

sipping my wine, Al
Old 06-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Lolly

I've wondered about this too, seems that great minds think alike, LOL...maybe anothe reason they don't do this is because tumor characteristics change as we know, adapting to the "environment" in order to survive. BUT, it does seem to me that those who've been cured or have long term remission/stability could provide some clues.

A good reminder to us all to keep track of where our tumor blocks are stored.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Susan2

Washington University at St. Louis is currently doing a study of the specific genetic factors which are present in young women with breast cancer. This is not specifically designed for her2+. However, with so many of her+ being younger, it certainly will apply. The criteria is that you must be under 40 at diagnosis (regardless of current age) and willing to submit a blood sample and health information. Additionally, if you have parent(s) still living, they want their health info and blood sample(s). My parents and I have received the info and are in the process of returning it.

If interested, you can contact jen@ccadmin.wustl.edu.

It's not exactly what you were looking for, but it may be helpful to some.
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Joe
Webmaster

We are currently studying such a project in cooperation with a large facility in Texas.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
michele u

Joe, could elaborate on what you are doing there? does this have to do with taking past tumors of survivors and mapping their markers to see what is working and not working? I'm glad to see someone is interested in doing that.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
RobinP

research is on going in this area...

Michelle I have brought up this question also in the past here on these boards. I think Dr. Winer is doing some research on tumor marker testing. Also, don't forget that Dr. Gebhert from the HERA trial stated that HERA could and should investigate the tumor specimens from that trial for tumor markers, indicating Herceptin response or resistence.