HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
michele u

In ER with a bad bladder infection!!

Thanks Gina for your post!!
I went to church today and had to come home. I had this teeeerible pain in my bladder and back. Last night i woke up with back pain. When i got home from church i was urinating blood!! Went to the ER, bad bladder infection white count high. Maybe start of pylonepritis. I havent been this sick since chemo. I hope this is why all the pains this week. I'm still going to ask for PET with the numbess and things. Boy, if any of you have had a bad bladder infection---now i know how bad it hurts!!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
StephN

Red face Hope that explains a lot!

O-o-o-o. O-w-w-w-w.
I am not prone to those awful things, but know some who are.
Like you said, this may be the reason you were feeling SO rotten.
Let us pray this is it and will be solved when the infection is abated.
Let the antibiotics begin!
Maybe you hve some internal swelling that is causing the numbness somehow. Our bodies can be pretty weird!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
al from Canada

Michele,

What haven't you had to put up with lately!!! Drink lots of fluids to flush that crap out of your system.
Get well,
Al
Old 11-28-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
jojo

Post Hi Michele

So sorry that you had to go through such a rough time. Hearing about your story, though, just brought a strange memory to my mind.

While I was on A/C 2 summers ago, one afternoon I had to go to the ER, cuz my tongue had kept going in backward and my cheeks had kept sucking in, almost as if I was self-choking. I was totally baffled, as I had never experienced this before. Well, it turned out to be an allergic reaction to Compazine (anti-nausea meds). Of course, I was immediately taken off the meds & switched to Emend (my miracle drug!... no vomits at all).

However, on that very same day, I had this really awfully nagging feeling that was trying to tell me to ask the ER doctor for an urine sample. And so I did. I did NOT have ANY symptoms, but just that allergic reaction only. Sometimes I wonder WHO or HOW it was pushing me to ask for the sample. I simply had NO idea, but it was such a good thing that I then asked, though -- I DID have a bladder infection, after all! Again, with no symptoms -- it was just intuition, I guess...

Are you on Cipro? That was the antibiotics I took for my bladder infection. I hated, just HATED it! I would have to take a pill every 6 hours or so, and I would make sure that I had a seat to be sitting down for a while, since a horrible stomach ache would come on EVERY time and it would last a good long while -- I think just about MORE painful than a bad menstrual cramp!! Thankfully, I had to take Cipro for a week or so.

If I recovered well, you will, too! Keep up your fighting spirits, Michele. :-)

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:57 AM   #5
fourboysmom

Michelle, Sorry for your situation. I'll pray you feel better.

Thinking of you, Janet
fourboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
Becky

Oh Michelle

I know what you are going through. I had my first bladder infection ever about 2-3 weeks ago. Agony. Cipro helped and helped fast.

My thoughts are with you. I peed blood too and that really freaked me out.

Love and hugs to you

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
michele u

Becky,
I wonder if we are more prone to the bladder infections after chemo? I have never had one before. when i peed blood too, i freaked out. My grandma died from bladder cancer

JoJo,
I had the same reaction to Compazine!! My tongue was swelling and i was talking funny. They rushed me to the ER. I really thought i was dying. they finally had to give me iv valium to stop it
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Sandy H

Sorry to hear about the bladder infection. They can be nasty I have had a few of them but not since chemo. I am surprised the docs don't check us with urine tests. Last year I had this terrible smell from my urine it lingered in the bathroom after flushing to the point where I did not want to use anyone's bathroom. This was after finishing chemo so I blamed it on the Herceptin. I had to have antibiotics for something else and it went right away following the use of the these antibotics. I was amazed how fast it cleared up. I had no symptoms what so ever. If it ever happens again I will ask to get checked. Wishing you well Michelle and you should feel so much better real soon. Sending you a hug Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
Unregistered

Michelle,
I am sorry to hear that you had a bladder infection. I was scared for you when I aw your post concerning the possibility of cancer maybe had spread. While I don't like that you had to go through the pain of the bladder infection, I sure hope that's all that's going on!
Sincerely,
Lexi
Old 11-28-2005, 10:40 AM   #10
sherri

Dear Michelle,

So sorry to hear about the infection. Are you taking supplements? You know bladder infection is very commun, I heard a lot of women had it several times. Just make sure you take good supplements to prevent any kind of infection. Take care of yourself.
Love and hug
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
AlaskaAngel

Bladder infections

Sorry to hear you were in pain, Michelle. Bladder infections are like kidney stones, no fun. There are enough things to worry about without having the things that "normal" people get...!

Wishing you a fast recovery - A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #12
Lisa

Interesting timing. THe past few day, I have had to urinate often or FEEL like I needed to. And after the first time, my bladder burns like crazy. I just read in a supplement about incontinence. One type is called Urge Incontinence and it sounds exactly like what I have. Frequent feeling of need, sometimes very strong, burning sensation of the bladder. If I can make it till Thursday, I'll talk to my onc.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #13
Lolly

Michele, I hope you're feeling better today with medication. Bladder infection pain is the WORST pain I've ever felt.

Lisa, don't wait till Thursday if you're feeling that burning sensation still, that's also how a bladder infection feels in the early stages. Call in and see if they want you to come in for a urinianalysis, better safe than sorry...

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #14
jojo

Question To Michele -- Valium??

Hi Michele,

I think you are just about the only person allergic to Compazine other than myself that I have come across through my cancer journey. Hmmm.... I wonder if this is rare??

Anyway, I don't remember every details of that ER incident, but I don't think that I took Valium -- I'll have to ask my parents about it.

Sending wishes of good health you way!

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #15
TriciaK

Michele, so sorry to hear about this on top of everything else! I have had a few of these severe bladder infections, but not for a long time, actually since I cut way down on sugar. Be sure to take acidophilis when you use a heavy antibiotic. Acidopholis will keep up the good bacteria, since the cipro kills that too. Anyone who has frequent bladder infections might want to check with an ob-gyn to see if Interstitial Cystitis is the culprit. I hope by now you have it all under control! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #16
Barbara H.

Red face

Hi Michelle,
You have also been in my thoughts. What a roller coaster ride you have had this past week. Let's hope that this bladder infection is the cause of all the discomfort you have been experiencing.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #17
Julie2

hoping everything will be alright

Hi Michelle,

I am hoping this is just a bladder infection which cuased all the aches and pains and wish you a very clean PET scan result.

You are in my thoughts.

Julie
Old 12-01-2005, 08:25 AM   #18
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

My experience with bladder infections over the last 8 years is as soon as I feel a twinge in that area that is not normal I grab my anti-biotics I keep in the cupboard, Keflex, I told my onc that this antibiotic heals a multitude of disorders, which of course I know first hand. I also read that with immune disorders we are susecptable to bladder infections, just goes with the territory, so it stands to reason that if the immune system is low with treatments we have another joy to look forward to, which always seems to come on after doctors hours. I also keep on hand a pathology request and jar for urine test if I get too worried.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #19
Barbara2

I had bladder infection this summer, and once again since then. It was really miserable. Cipro helped it right away. I think the next time I see my onc I will ask if he will let me keep some on hand for the next time. For some people, once they start with these infections, they seem to come back. I had about 3 months between infections.

I now keep AZO on hand. It is for fast relief for urinary discomfort. It really does help, and quite quickly, too. It masks the symptoms, so don't be fooled into thinking you don't need the other medicatiion, Cipro, or whatever, because you do need the antibiotic.

Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote