HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Unregistered

Red face surgery decisions I need help

I have come to this site often and I love it.Now I need to make a decision about my surgery and would like any input I can get.I have IDC grade 3 multifocal er-/pr- her2+++.I finished with chemo 4 weeks ago 4 A/C 3 carbo-taxol-herceptin.I though I had decided to have a Bi lateral mastectomy and now I'm not sure.My surgeon says I have a greater risk of a recurrance than a risk of a second primary on the other side. Now I'm confused. I know it is my decision and my sx is next Friday 10/7. I have to let him know on Monday so they can schedule for enough time. Thank you in advance for your input.
Alice
Old 09-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
al from Canada

If your tumour has been down-sized enough to have a lumpectomy, studies have shown that there is no survival advantage having a lumpectomy vs mastecomy; let alone a bi-lateral.

Good uck,
Al
Old 09-30-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
al from Canada

sorry, that's luck not uck.......
Old 09-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Unregistered

I had three doctors also tell me that I had a higher chance of mets than primary in other breast! I chose the single mast. this was 2 1/2 years ago. I had 4 A/C and 4 Taxotere following surgery. I am er+/pr+ so I had my ovaries out and I take Femara.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
sonyamagee

just wondering...have you or anyone else been tested for a breast cancer gene? i was thinking of asking to be tested and letting that help me make a decision of whether to get the other breast removed.
sonyamagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
Unregistered

I haven't been tested for the gene since I have no family history of bc at all. my onc thought that other factors were more indicative in my families case.Has anyone had the subcutaneous mastectomy at time of reconstruction done?If so are you happy with the results? I have read that the incidence of second primary is the same as with a full mastectomy and am concidering this option.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
mary c

I don't know if this will help or not, but I initially had my breast removed in 2000 (at the age of 29 - Stage 3) - in 2002, I decided to have tram-flap reconstruction surgery - my doctor had told me that I had a 25% chance of getting breast cancer in my other breast so I opted to have it removed during the reconstructive surgery - I have no regrets -

Mary
mary c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Unregistered

Smile

Thank you all for your input.It has helped a lot.I am leaning toward having the second breast done at the time of reconstruction. I am feeling pretty good about this decision. Thanks again!
Alice
Old 10-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Kim in CA

Hi Alice,

I was originally diagnosed in 1997 with a 4cm tumor and 5 pos. nodes. I had single mastectomy only, with the intention of eventually doing reconstruction. I have since had recurrence to liver and most recently brain, but never anything to remaining breast, (knock wood). I decided not to do reconstruction because I didn't want to spend anymore time in the hospital than I absolutely had to. (Spent over a month in hospital in 97 for stem cell procedure, 10 days at UCSF for liver resection in 2002, and one week in 2003 for bad reaction to Xeloda) I have been on Herceptin since 2001.

Hope this helps, Kim
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote