HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
MJsHusband

Dizziness Question

Yesterday, we were at a youth football game sitting in low beach chairs and upon her son scoring a touchdown, MJ jumped up quickly and then started falling forward. Luckily, I jumped up to cheer also and was able to catch her. Then, this morning when she got out of bed she immediately fell down on the floor. She said she felt dizzy both times. Tomorrow is the last day on her 3rd cycle of Tykerb/Xeloda so she's pretty dosed up at this point. She is off Xeloda next week and then will have her last two weeks before her next scan at the end of the month.

Do you think this is a side effect of the drugs or is there possibly more at play? She's also been nauseated the past two mornings when she tried to work out at the gym (yeah, she still works out on chemo). This nausea and dizzy spells(falling down) are new this weekend. I'm not sure what to think at this point.
She is also very cranky/moody. I'm guessing that may be due to Xeloda.

Thanks for any advise.

Greg

08/10 ~ Dx IBC, Her2+++ ER-/PR- Stage 4, mets to liver. Age 43.
08/10 ~ Began 12 weeks of Taxetere/Carboplatin/Herceptin tx
[10/10 ~ Scans show liver lesions are gone. NED!
11/10 ~ Ended chemo. Herceptin-only tx
01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation
07/11 ~ Reconstructive surgery
10/11 ~ PET/CT shows NED :)
01/12 ~ Malignant tumors found in uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and lymph nodes. Dx as endometrial cancer. Stage III2c
02/12 ~Hysterectomy(all tumors removed). Back to NED.
02/12 ~ Final Herceptin treatment.
03/12 ~ Began Cisplatin/Adriamycin tx for endometrial cancer.
03/12 ~ Tumors dx her2 metastisis, not entdometrial cancer. Back to BC tx.
03/12 ~ CT scan shows NED. :)
04/12/~ Began Tykerb/Xeloda.
06/12 ~ Ended Xeloda. Continuing Tykerb. Still NED.
09/12 ~ PET/CT scans show NED. : )
04/13 ~ Rash on original breast biopsied as cancer.
05/13 ~ Surgery to remove skin and tissue around rash. Continue Tykerb.
06/13 ~ PET/CT scans show NED : )
11/13 ~ Jaundice eyes and skin. CT scan show mets to liver as well as peritoneal carcinomatosis with malignant ascites. Began Abraxane/Herceptin tx.
02/14 ~ CT scan shows NED. :)

MJsHusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Dizziness Question

I cant say as have no personal experience of these drugs but if this continue's I'd ask for some further testing. I think we all get dizzy at times when we jump up suddenly but in view of her dx I'd be looking for answers if it continue's!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Lauriesh

I would ask for a brain mri if it continues. I don't have brain mets, but I have seen a few women post that dizziness and nausea were some of the symptoms they had with brain mets.

Hope it is just from the meds.

Laurie
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
chrisy

I'm impressed she can jump out of a low beach chair! I practically need a crane to get me out.

Seriously, I would encourage you to get this checked out. Most people use a two week rulr - if a new symptom persists for two weeks check it out.

Not to scare you, but you are probably aware that her2+ cancer likes to go to the brain, so my oncologist has a super low threshold for any neurological symptoms. An MRI would rule out any issues, and would probably not be a normal part of her upcoming scans.

It's probably nothing, or jumping up and down too much. Tykerb is somewhat protective of the brain anyway as it is a small molecule that crosses the blood brain barrier, which herceptin does not.

Nevertheless, you do want to be vigilant as brain mets, scary as they are, are also treatable especially when caught early.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
StephN

I am wondering if MJ might have low blood counts. When my counts were low I would be dizzy and even fainted a couple of times.

If her blood counts are not exceptionally low, I would go with a brain screening next.

Best wishes that it is not serious.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
yanyan

Go get a brain scan especially there are symptoms just to be on the safe side! Hopefully the dizziness is simply due to low blood counts.
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
MJsHusband

Thank you for the replies. We set up a meeting with the oncologist for Friday and will discuss the dizziness and I will pass along your thoughts and concerns.

MJ is not tolerating the Xeloda very well lately. She's pretty miserable on it, especially by the second week. She's leaning toward not doing the 3rd cycle. If she goes with that plan, maybe we can move the PET/CT scans from the last week of June to sooner(if possible). All the known endometrial tumors were removed with her hysterectomy so there are no known tumors to compare with the new scans. The scan will be to see if there is anything new. I don't know that a third cycle of Tykerb/Xeloda is necessary since it is more of a preimptive strike against anything new. Do you think skipping the 3rd cycle is a bad idea? I'm not sure what advice to give her. She just wants to stop being miserable all the time.

Thanks,

Greg

01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation
01/12 ~ Malignant tumors found in uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and lymph nodes. Dx as endometrial cancer. Stage III2c
11/13 ~ Jaundice eyes and skin. CT scan show mets to liver as well as peritoneal carcinomatosis with malignant ascites. Began Abraxane/Herceptin tx.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
KDR

Hi,
Overwhelming stress can cause dizziness. Chemotherapy regimens are the strongest drugs known to man. Combine the two and add the worry of the unknown of HER2 and there's a strong case for feeling woozy. Ativan, I was told by my doctor, helps with that. I used it-it worked.
As always, hoping for the best for MJ and your family.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
MJsHusband

Thanks Karen. She has an unfilled script for Ativan. I will suggest she get it filled. She doesn't like to take anything like anti-depressants/anti-anxiety drugs. Personally, I would have been on them at diagnosis. Maybe if I tell her Ativan will help with dizziness, she will give it a try. I'm bothered most that she not only gets dizzy but actually fell to the floor after getting out of bed and falling as she started walking.

She tried to work out at the gym again this morning but ended up throwing up before she could even start the workout. Three days in a row of this at the gym. It only happens in the morning for some reason. We're working now on getting the visit with the oncologist moved up to tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Greg

01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation

Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
KDR

Maybe this regimen doesn't agree with her. Ativan is really good for the dizziness. While MJ may not want to be on meds (and I'm a no-med person, too), it's not good to put the body through undue stress either. Like all of us, the waiting is the hardest part. Till you have some clarity, I wish you peace. And Ativan!
Karen
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
MJsHusband

Thanks Karen. She has an unfilled script for Ativan. I will suggest she get it filled. She doesn't like to take anything like anti-depressants/anti-anxiety drugs. Personally, I would have been on them at diagnosis. Maybe if I tell her Ativan will help with dizziness, she will give it a try. I'm bothered most that she not only gets dizzy but actually fell to the floor after getting out of bed and falling as she started walking.

She tried to work out at the gym again this morning but ended up throwing up before she could even start the workout. Three days in a row of this at the gym. It only happens in the morning for some reason. We're working now on getting the visit with the oncologist moved up to tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Greg

01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation

Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
yanyan

Hi Greg

Sorry to hear your wife is not tolerating Xeloda and Tykerb very well. It is hard to get hit by cancer for the 1st time, not to mention being hit by it the 2nd time so quickly! I can see why she is moody!

Her oncologist should order a complete panel blood test and this will help to find out why she is not feeling well on those drugs. She may have THey may adjust her dosage. Some get switched from 2 weeks on/1 week off to 1 week on / 1 week off.

There are days i feel very frustrated and mad about my own recurrence. But i am more thankful that i am still alive and receiving treatment. There are many others who don't have access to those new drugs. Your wife sounds like a very strong woman. Not many people can still excersise in gym while on treatment. The battle with cancer is a long fight. Sometimes we just need to slow down a little bit.

Take care (())
9/11 Radiation
Whole body scan CLEAR
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
11/14 brain MRI clean
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Rolepaul

I can tell you that Xeloda is not a fun drug. Monica Spencer posted a lot of stuff on Henna with lemon, add water to a paste and put it on the feet. Bag Balm and udder cream on the hands, with cloth gloves at night. Vitamin K cream anywhere there is rubbing.

Nina did not have that much dizzines, but she did have a brain met that was found with a brain MRI. Please ask the doctor to do a spine MRI as well. If there is brain and/or spine involvement, please send me a personal e-mail. Nina was found to have a large brain met in november 2009. There was surgery, gamma knife, and Xeloda/Tykerb until this past Christmas, when it was found in the spine as well as the brain. We were told to make plans for end of life, probably in three months or less. Friday we found out that there is no evidence of disease in the brain, spine or elsewhere. This method of treatment is going to go to clinical trial, but I can tell you what we did to get early approval for Nina to be treated and what we did.

By the way, Nina walked five miles a day, drove the car, worked, yoga, etc. for the past seven years. Please understand that this disease can disguise itself at times. I am pushing for all Her+ patients with 3 or more lymph nodes that were positive at mastectomy to get an annual brain MRI.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
yanyan

Thanks Rolepaul. I almost forgot about the 4 painful cracks on my feet and 2 on my thumbs ! Time to wear socks and gloves at night ! I am scheduling for a brain MRI this week !

Questions for you and people that have had brain mets:
1. Is it rare for brain to be the 1st place for mets from breast cancer?
2. Will brain mets have an impact on the tumor markers?
3. If PET scan involves spine, what does a spine MRI do ? I once asked about a bone scan as i was having pressure from one spot on my spine. My oncologist said a PET scan would work as a bone scan.
Thanks!
9/11 Radiation
Whole body scan CLEAR
6/13 kadcyla
11/14 brain MRI clean
Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
StephN

Rolepaul -
Such fabulaous news and way to show those mets how to behave!

My take on Yanyan's questions:

1. Is it rare for brain to be the 1st place for mets from breast cancer?
Yes, perhaps less than 10% was a number I heard a while back. Maybe that is now higher with more years out on adjuvent Herceptin.

2. Will brain mets have an impact on the tumor markers?

Depends on which markers you have drawn. I have also been having my CEA checked regularly all this time. The only time it really went up out of normal range corresponded to my two brain mets. My CA27-29 did not change more than a couple of points during that time. Which was puzzling, and the other scans were finding nothing. BTW - I had no symptoms from the brain mets.

3. If PET scan involves spine, what does a spine MRI do ?

Spine MRI will find lesions that a CT scan will not pick up.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
Rolepaul

1. Brain mets occur if they treat Her + patients with Large Molecule drugs (Herceptin for example) after mets are running around the body. You have Dr. Eric Winer say 25-30% of the HER + women will get brain mets, and others say 5%. I can tell you if there is the number of nodes you have that are positive, that brain mets should be looked at immediately.

2. Tumor markers will rise only after the darn thing is entrenched in the brain. There are some new tumor markers that are being explored, but it is not well developed.

3. PET in June looked fine and Nina had pain in September, with a PET showing multiple hot spots 12/15/2011, and the MRI 0n 12/17/2011 showing high level of involvement. The PET is a 10 foot llook and the MRI a 10 inch look. The local MRI scan showed it just as well as the clinic's MRI. The difference was we were able to follow the progression of improvement better with the most sensitive MRI. And yes, Nina's scans last Friday showed that there was no areas that "lit up", only a background level of normal activity. The PET was also normal, confirming no disease in other areas of the body. All tumor markers are now down to normal, non-disease patient population levels.

As I say, this has not been an easy (or inexpensive) battle. The insurance company, cancer center doctors, and researchers in this disease all were there when we needed them. Now we hope to be there for those that need us. As Kevin Costner said in the Untouchables "Never give up", and James T. Kirk in Star Trk 2, Wrath of Khan "I hate to lose". We have found a way to get rid of brain and spine Herceptin involvement and want to spread the method as fast as the TDM-1 message.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #17
pibikay

During her Tykerb/Xeloda time Hema developed Brain Mets.No dizziness at that stage.Then she had WBR. After the WBR she is facing loss of memory and occassional dizzines.But during her last bout of diziness it was diagnosed that it was due to low blood count.Have aWBC done and if it is low ask the Onc for a shot to increase the blood count.All the best
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Hopbird

Some people have a terrible time with Tykerb/Xeloda. It didn't work well for me...Gemzar has worked great!

My personal opinion is that Brain MRIs will become more prevalent as better drugs get rid of other stuff. I tell people if in doubt just do it! Don't try to guess. I've been dealing...well. the docs have too...with one lesion in my brain for almost two years. It's breast cancer, not brain cancer, that has spread to the brain.
Hopbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
MJsHusband

Thanks everyone. MJ has not had any more complaints of dizziness or falling down since last Sunday. She was on her final couple of days of her 3rd cycle of Xeloda. She has felt much better this week being off chemo. On Tuesday she will begin her final 2 week cycle of Xeloda and I hope she will be done for good with that drug. The second week is always a doozy for her. It really wipes her out. She will continue with Tykerb for as long as it keeps working. Herceptin worked for her for a little over a year before it stopped working so hopefully she'll get a longer run with Tykerb. Herceptin will be added back in the future if need be.

~Greg

01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation

Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
KDR

Greg,
This is good news. As you know Pertuzumab was approved last night, and may be an option down the road. Herceptin works with it.
Wishing you well,
Karen