HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #1
HavahJ

TRUTH - is it basically over?

I had a single skull metastasis for a couple of years. I just finished the second skull sugery out in California so the tumor is almost gone. I'm not on the board much because most of my stuff didn't connect with most of yours. I came home from surgery a week ago and had a routine PET - just had one 4 months ago. I've got it in my liver. The myth that once in bone, stays in bone flew away. Liver is the worst place, right ,except brain? The onc. said something about 15 spots? How could that happen in 4 months? Must be growing very fast. He's talking about heavy chemo. I'll have to be in the hospital because of multiple sclerosis and other stuff. How long do most people have after liver mets? Look, I know some people live fairly long, but I need the usual and real information? The onc said not to bother finishing the radiation for the skull tumor because the disease is systemic now and it won't matter. I was going to start tykerb right after the gamma I'm by myself so decided to put in a blurb again, but not expecting too much response because all I've ever gotten is a few. My case has just gone so weirdly. Anyway, thanks for listening. HavahJ (If there's a response, please leave out the religious stuff)
HavahJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
Mary Jo

Hi Havah,

I don't have much to offer as far as personal experience with mets to liver, bone and brain go but I know many here do and I also know many here have thrived while living with this and treatment has been very successful for them.

Basically I wanted you to know I read your post and care about what you're going through. I really am sorry this is happening to you and say a prayer for you now.

Love & Peace,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Sheila

HavahJ
There are several on this board who have or are battling liver mets, to all degrees. It is not the place of choice for mets to go, but it is treatable....some who were given basically no hope are doing well some time later. It sounds like you need to get the boxing gloves back on as you are about to go "back in the ring." There are so many new combinations of drugs to try, if something isn't working, there will be something else.....please know that we are all here to support you in any way we can...sending you a big hug and lots of strength.....wish there was more I could do to take some of this burden away from you...

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Lani

another article (if you have more than a few)

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=liver+Lani
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
Lani

Oops looks like the board "ate my first reply"

Havah--sounds like you are beside yourself

Take a deep breath, clear your head and put "liver Lani" into the search box above--the first article you find is:

laser ablation of liver mets (when few) may extend survival a median of five years!
http://www.docguide.com/news/content...2573A6008195A2

That was posted 12/6 but I have posted more articles and there are other methods of treating liver mets with promising
results.

Besides having no personal experience I am not qualified to give any advance and work hard not to try to other than---

gather all the information you can and ask a lot of questions.

Hope this helped!

(repeat from memory of what my first post --the one "eaten" said)
Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Lani

now here is a question for you...

When things have calmed down and you feel things are headed in a more positive direction, I would appreciate your input:

I have been reading articles about herceptin "curing" the demyelinization that occurs with leprosy.

Havah, since you say you have multiple sclerosis: did you have Herceptin as part of your treatment and did you notice if it made your MS better or worse?

Just asking as they are trying to use several different monoclonal antibodies to treat MS including rituximab if I recall right and I was wondering if herceptin had an effect.

Thanking you in advance,
Lani
Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile Hi Havah

I am so sorry to hear of your progression to your liver.

I know exactly how you are feeling having gone through this for the last 12 years. But as you can hear Havah ..... 12 years and I am still here.

I had a couple of tumors in my liver for many years. We managed to keep them stable with different treatments. Mine happen to be in a location which allowed me to try the Abalation procedure back in 2003. Unfortunately a tumor returned in the area after 7-8 months so in Sept of 2004 I had that half of my liver removed. It has since grown back very nicely and so far cancer free. I will be honest and tell you that I have progression in another area but I feel that my liver is again healthy.

I just keep battling and doing lots of research to try to stay ahead of this predator in me.

I was on the Tykerb/Xeloda trial last year from Sept 2006 - Sept 2007 when I had pregression. But I feel that was a great response and they say that Tykerb can pass into the brain so I feel this is worth a try.

I would talk to your onc about how he feels about either ablation or surgery if possible to your liver. I know most doctors do not like to do surgery once it is systemic but I am in the process of talking to my onc about removing a couple that have popped up in my neck area if they are easy to get to either by ablation or surgery.

Good luck Havah and never give up my friend. You are worth the battle.

Please contact me if you want to discuss further. I have a strong shoulder and would be happy to help you in any way that I can.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
StephN

Sorry to hear ...

Dear havahJ -
Thanks for getting back to us on this board. I think with your new diagnosis you will have a LOT more in common with more of us here.

When my extensive liver mets were first found exactly 6 years ago, the report said "too numerous to count." The estimate was that over 60% of my liver was then tumor.

I had no idea how long I could live or if I could fight this new development. In my case it happened quite quickly as for you. My thought was to get tough, take the drugs and go a day at a time. The infusion nurses were telling me at that time that the liver was the MOST treatable organ for mets. That there were patients with good results. It was possible to obtain remission. I had a ray of hope.

There are many new targeted therapies so you may not have to take the usual chemos that are harder on your body. Also, is it the surgeon who took off the skull tumor who says not to finish the radiation?? That seems strange to me.

Get another opinion if you are not happy with your regular onc.

P.S. IMPORTANT to know that your liver is an organ which CAN and DOES regenerate itself. When the tumors die that area can be replaced by healthy tissue.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
kareneg

Dear havahJ

I have been living with liver mets for almost 7 years. I am so sorry you have to go through this it breaks my heart this beast is relentless so keep strong my friend and fight it with everything you have. As always you have been in my thought and prayers and will always be there.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Bill

Wink

Hello Havah! I'm sorry to hear your news, but as the other ladies have stated, liver mets are highly treatable and new combos. of treatment are being approved at an ever-increasing rate. As far as halting the radiation to the brain goes, they may be anxious to get you on the chemo. as soon as possible. My wife had liver mets, was on Gemzar, and then and MRI of the brain discovered several lesions. They halted the chemo treatment while she had the brain rads because they said the Gemzar would intensify the rad treatments to a dangerous level. I don't know if all chemos would have this same intensifying effect though. From experience, I would advise you to continue the brain rads while beginning chemo, any way possible. Seek a second opinion, and keep asking those questions until you're satisfied that you're getting an honest answer. Educate yourself as much as possible. Be strong and remember the old saying , "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". Love and prayers, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #11
jhandley

2.3 yr NED after liver met

Dear Havah
I have been on herceptin for 2.3 yr after a single liver met which disappeared quickly. Hang in there....all is not lost. Take it one day at a time and know we are thinking of you.
Jackie(down under)
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
DonnaD

HavahJ
I hope you find comfort in the responses from the board on people who are currently fighting liver mets and winning. You are not alone!
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
Barbara H.

HI HavahJ.
I had liver mets 3 1/2 years ago and they are no longer detected. I also had a 3cm brain tumor at the same time. There is always hope, and as long as you have treatment options, you have the opportunity to have effective results.
My thoughts are with you.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
fullofbeans

It's never over till it is over! It seems to me that you still have many options open to you.

I understand that news of liver mets after dealing with you brain mets must be very hard to deal with. However I trust that you will find the courage (like many people on this board) to want to mentally continue fighting and to change your frame of mind to look for what you can do now, I think by posting here you actually show this. Please do not give up even if you are feeling alone right now.

I did various treatment for my liver mets you can check my signature; I beleive in hitting things hard so I went for chemoembolisation and laser treatments the secondary effect were somewhat insignificant compared to taxotere.

Good luck with whatever you decide is the right option for you.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Bill

Wink It ain't over 'til it's over

Hi Havah! Fullofbeans beat me to the punch! You may have felt all alone, and at times you may still feel so, but please realize that by coming to this wonderful site, you now have enlisted the aid of countless warriors and friends ready to do battle side by side with you in your struggle. Please know that we are all thinking of you and praying for you. Stay strong and keep us posted. Love, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #16
chrisy

Hi Havah,
I don't know about "in the bones stays in the bones". I'd never heard that...I think often bones are the first site of mets, but progression to other areas eventually is unfortunately the nature of the beast.

As for TRUTH...I was told by my uber-oncologist when I was diagnosed with extensive liver mets in 2004 that it was not curable but it was treatable. Another truth is that each individuals experience, response, and survival is different. In fact, that was a major theme at San Antonio - that more and more we must view treatment options on an individual basis.

If you have extensive liver disease, it is important to get it under control, and for me the approach was to go with a heavy chemo combo (T/C/H). It knocked those mets out and then herceptin kept it in remission for 2 more years. I am currently dealing with a much smaller recurrence, again in the liver but still believe this can be controlled and managed for a while longer. Nobody knows how much time that means, but I hope a lot.

true, you have systemic disease, so the chemo may also help the skull mets. Also, as others have mentioned, Tykerb is thought to be protective of the brain, so that would be a good option in combination with chemo.

There are still options, I hope you get this under control quickly.

hang in there
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #17
tousled1

Hi Havah

I do not have any personal experience with liver mets but from reading the board here there are many women who have successfully treated liver mets for many years. I agree that tykerb may be an option for you at this point. Many good ideas have been posted and I just want to let you know that I'm thinking about you.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #18
juanita

Croos my fingers I never know about mets, but just wanted to let you know you are in my prayers!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
Lani

another favorable article

ABSTRACT: Liver resection for metastases from breast cancer
[Journal of Surgical Oncology]
Background and Objectives: The value of liver resection for metastases from breast cancer is still controversial. This study was conducted to clarify safety and effectiveness of hepatectomy in this conditions and to identify selection criteria for patients suitable for liver resection.
Methods: From January 1988 to December 2006, 39 patients underwent liver resection for metastases from breast cancer. The outcome of these 39 patients was retrospectively reviewed using a prospective database. Prognostic factors for patient survival were determined by univariate and multivariate analysis.
Results: None of the patients died perioperatively and the morbidity rate was 13% (n = 5). The overall 1-, 3-, and 5-year survival rates were 77%, 50%, and 42%, respectively. In the univariate analysis, metastatic manifestation prior to hepatectomy, vascular invasion and resection margin revealed statistically significant influence on survival. The multivariate analysis identified only resection margin as an independent prognostic factor for survival.
Conclusions: Liver resection should be considered in the multimodal treatment approach of patients with metastatic breast cancer. Hepatic resection can be performed with low risk and offers a chance of long-term survival. Achievement of a curative resection and less important absence of previous metastatic manifestation represent suitable criteria to select patients for liver resection.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #20
HavahJ

Lani liver mets

I've gotten 15 liver mets in one month, but no symptoms. I don't think they'll resect that much? If chemo doesn't work I'm dead in 4 months I guess. Have you heard of proforms or something?
HavahJ is offline   Reply With Quote