HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Sherryg683

In constant pain

I hate to complain and really have no one else to talk to about this because no one here around me seems to really care or wants to hear it any more but I am so tired of being in constant pain. I had a bad shingle outbreak in January and I guess I am one of the few who the pain lasts for longer than 5 weeks. It's been over 6 months now and I still hurt terribly. My right side burns so bad and it radiates into my head like I have thorns in my skull. I also have a spot in my stomach area that has continued to hurt real bad since chemo. I have had my gallbladder checked and nothing there. I have a few liver hymangiomas (or so they think) but they are very small and have never lit up on PET so my oncologist is saying it's nothing...it still hurts like crazy. And to top it off I threw my back out and can hardly walk now, my right leg is numb. And, in the last month my dang jaw has started popping and locking up and hurts, I guess I've developed TNJ..I'm just about at my wits end. I have been to a neurologist for the shingle pain and and several other doctors and they say nothing can be done except to take pain pills, it just has to run it's course, it's just been so long and draining. I try to limit the Loritabs to one a day, I just hate depending on pain pills. Of course I always figure it's the cancer. I guess I just need a pep talk, to keep hanging on here. If it weren't for my little girl, I might just want this to all be over. I mean how long can you hurt. Any suggestions other than pain pills? Sorry I'm so negative tonight, I just hurt terribly and no one here seems to give a damn...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
sassy

Sherry,

I'm so sorry you are dealing with all this. Please know you can come here to vent any time. I really don't think those who have not been thru cancer and treatment can understand the physical as well as the psychological trauma that can continue.

I'm not sure if this would be applicable in your situation, but I have been taking Neurontin for several months and it has helped tremendously with post surgical/treatment pains. I feel much better physically, and this has had a positive effect on my mental outlook. Neurontin is just beginning to be more widely used for women with BC.

Hope this helps, and hang in there.
________
latin girl Webcam

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:23 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Lolly

Sherry, my mother-in-law has been dealing with shingles pain for months also, and she finally found some relief when her neurologist prescribed Amitryptelene. It's known as an anti-depressant, but it's also used for nerve pain such as from shingles. Another drug in the same class is Nortriptyline, and it is also supposed to help TNJ.
Ask to see the neurologist again, and ask about these medications. The Amiltryptelene has really helped my mom-in-law, but she has to keep taking it or the pain comes back. Sometimes, I'm sorry to say, she's in pain anyway, but it's not as bad if she takes her meds, and since it's not a "pain" med she feels better about taking it long term.
I hope you get some feedback from the neuro about other options, as I know how painful this condition is.
If your current neuro doesn't help you, can you go for a second opinion?

Hope you get some relief, and you know we care so come here to vent anytime!

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
Grace

Sherry,

So sorry for what you're going through. One thing possible about stomach. I had terrible pains in stomach and had my gall bladder checked with sonograms a few times. They found nothing. I persisted and finally someone found the stone. It was located higher up than usual. When it was removed, it was completely diseased. Anyway, the pain lasted maybe four months until they
confirmed that it was my gall bladder. I knew it all along, as gall bladder disease runs in the family. Not saying yours is gall bladder, but perhaps one more check.

I also have TNJ. I use self-hypnosis to relax the jaw and it helps a lot. Self-hypnosis might help with some of the other pain as well. I was taught the procedure years ago by a doctor in New York, but you can probably find someone reputable in your area. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it does work for a number of things.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
lexigirl

Hi Sherry,

I am sorry that you are having pain. This is definitely the place to come and share your feelings and complain. I know how you feel about not wanting to mention it to your family. It's always something.

For your jaw problems, if it is TMJ perhaps your dentist could make an appliance to wear when you sleep. You may be clenching in your sleep and not realizing it. Goodness knows we do have reason to feel stressed!LOL

Let your docs know that your pain is real. Don't give up on finding what the source of your pain is. I am sure if it was their loved one they wouldn't give up to they had an answer.

Please know you are in my prayers tonight.

Hugs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Alice

Talking

Shingles can be excruciating for a long period of time for a person that has been healthy and has not had a major illness. My Husband had shingles as a teenager and for years had residual pain. I think we all need to let you know that you are not being a whimp over this, that it is quite painful and we understand and suport your feelings of needing to vent! So go for it!!!
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Jean

We care.....and always will...

Dear Sherry,
I felt so bad when I read your post....
Sometimes those around us just don't realize what we go through.
Lets face it before cancer most of us were going through life pretty clueless. Trivial things were once important. Not anymore, we know
better, those around us sometimes just don't get it.

So that is when you come here...

Shingles are the worst - my sister had a bout
with them and she truly suffered. Yes, it has to run its course but
maybe you should consider taking some pain meds for it. Your
immune system maybe having a harder time fighting them off.

Try not to let it get you down, I know, easier said then done.
Just hit the board and we will cheer you...
and send you lots of TLC

hugs,
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 AM   #8
chrislmelb

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. Re TMJ, i can get into trouble with that when i am tense. That you need to do is constantly open your mouth and then let it flop back to relax. Just always be aware of clenching your jaw. You can break that cycle.
Good luck

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
Sheila

Sherri
My Mom had shingles (she is also a BC Survivor), and the pain lasted for months....I think everyone is different and it can depend on the severity of the case. She ended up with pain meds to deal with it....the pain eventually subsides, but do get meds to help you through it....no need to be a martyr! IT HURTS!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #10
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Sherry!
I had shingles in March and still have pain also. I do go several days at a time and do ok, but not for long. Same places, same pain in the neck to deal with. I have what seems to be the original pain coming back the last couple of days, so am really watching it.
Sherry, my rad onc told me that the pain meds won't be as effective unless we keep them in our system. If we wait til it's really bad, then our system has to build up again to combat the pain and the medication isn't as effective. She encouraged me to take them like prescribed (what a concept) to get the full benefit. So when I need them, I take them every 4 hours (vicadin) to get real relief.
I get this constant pain across the lower back of my head (maybe neck) that seems to never go away. And the place across the top of my right shoulder (lots of radiation exited there) is constant too. I've been taking more in the last week than I had to for a couple of weeks.
It's awful! It makes me grouchy and a pain to be with. So I take the meds. I figure that if I get hooked on the pain med. I can battle that just like all the other stuff we battle. I'm going to be happy to be around and have some fun! I've got a granddaughter to raise and just can't do it without taking good care of me.
Why not call your doc. and see what they say! Rather than fight the pain, "rule over it, girl"!!!!
I'll sure be thinking about you!
Luv,
Mary Anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
Margerie

I am so sorry to hear your painful ordeal Sherry! It's hard to be stoic forever if you are suffering. I don't know much about shingles relief, but if I were you, I would be thinking outside the box: acupressure/acupuncture, hypnosis, guided imagery- something besides/ in addition to the pain pills. I also know a few people that had their TMD symptoms relieved by a good physical therapist.

Are you able to eat and sleep well?

I hope you feel better soon.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #12
MJo

I've heard that shingles can be horribly painful. I'm sorry you have to deal with them. Please take care of yourself, including pain meds if necessary. I have TMJ. I clench and grind my teeth in my sleep. Your dentist can make an appliance for you. I've accidentally thrown two away, so be aware. You can also buy a cheaper product called Night Guard in the drugstore. Night grinding can cause you to wake up with piercing headaches, and of course I think it must be brain cancer.
Constant pain can certainly wear you down and make you grouchy and depressed. It helps to vent, and we're here to listen.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #13
Emelie

Pain in the back..

I can relate. We finally got moved into our house in Denver, the furniture was 1 week late getting here, so we slept on air matteress's for the week because I could not stay 1 more night in a hotel. Of course, my back went out. Finally found a new chiropractor and I am feeling 100% better. I had to make 3 visits and had a theraputic massage that hurt pretty bad, but my back is sooo much better. As for the TMJ, I concur with the other ladies that you need a bite plate. My daughter grinds her teeth at night so her orthodontist made her one. Works like a charm.
And lastly, if you are in pain, and frankly when aren't we, please take something for it. Why suffer in pain? Even before cancer I felt every bit of my 52 years at times. We here all understand that and are hear to listen.
I hope you feel better soon and start enjoying life again.
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #14
Beckie

Sherry,
I don't have any experience with the pain, but I just wanted you to know we do care, and want to hear when you need to vent. I'm so sorry you are going through this, and feel neglected at home right now. I will definitely be praying for God's touch on your body right now, and keep on the doctors to find the right combo to help you. Just wanted you to know I will be thinking of you.

Beckie
6/06 - Stage 4, Her2+++, er/pr-
Mets to lungs(largest 3 cm), liver (largest 5.5 cm), and bones
Began taxotere, herceptin, & aredia
7/06 - radiation to lower spine & left shoulder for pain
8/06 - everything smaller
12/06 - stopped taxotere (toe infections)
5/07 - bone mets advancing
6/07 - add navelbine to herceptin & aredia
6/07 - discovered brain mets (3 in cerebellum, largest 2 cm.)
7/07 - WBR, change to Tykerb/Xeloda
9/07 - targeted radiation
10/08 - started navelbine/herceptin
2/09 - brain mets - targeted radiation
5/09 - mets in liver progressing, changed to Ixempra
7/09 - mets in liver still going, to the brain again, on gemzar now
9/09 - gemzar failed, started Doxil today

I know Who holds the future, and I know He holds my hand.
Beckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #15
BonnieR

Sherry, I understand how you feel about the pain medication but it is a treatment, just like every other. To keep a problem in check. There is a great deal of emphasis these days on the importance of pain managment to improve healing and quality of life. And it is essential to keep AHEAD of the pain, ward it off before it takes hold, by taking the meds as prescribed. I have also heard that when taken as required, the medicine targets the pain and is not about getting "addicted".
Being in pain is very depressing and demoralizing. Does your treatment facility have someone you can talk with? Mine offers a psychologist and she has been really helpful.
And we are here....

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #16
suzan w

Wink

Hi Sherry, I do not have any suggestions for you as far as what you can do about your pain. It does look like you have gotten some good advice here! I can offer you some comraderie however and just know that we are not alone with our pains and fears as long as we can come here and share it!!! xox
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #17
Mary Jo

Hi Sherry,

I read your post with heartfelt concern for you as I know living in "our world" is not something those not in "our world" can understand. I believe chemo leaves us different as does the whole breast cancer experience. I don't care what the oncs say about no lasting effects from the chemo.......I think there are. Also, the fears of recurrence are REAL............the neverending monitoring of our bodies is REAL..................and the depression that sometimes hits us is REAL.

Please know dear "sister" that the concern I feel for you is REAL also. I really do care and wish that we could just sit down and chat as often times that helps so incredibly. But, this is all we have so I will do my best to convey my care for you in writing.

Try to grab a hold of today and enjoy the day you've been given. NOT always an easy thing to do I KNOW but when we can do it the day is SO much brighter.

I pray as I type now.......................that our Dear Lord would wrap His arms around you as you read this and give you His Peace. I ask this in Jesus' name.

Love and hugs I send,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
tricia keegan

Sherry I'm so sorry you're in pain, you're posts are always so cheerful and I hate to think you're suffering like this.I don't have advice but wanted you to know I care and hope you feel better very soon!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #19
Belinda

Sherrie - I can offer any suggestions about how to handle your symptons. But I can offer you my best wishes for getting them sorted.

And you mentioned needing a pep talk...well, the best I can do is say you are on the right track wanting to be their for you baby - this shouldn't be happening to us or to our children, but I know how much my desire to keep loving and holding my 5yo daughter gives me the strength and determination to get through this. I can hear from your post that we have this much in common. It's the point in the horizon we can fix our gaze on the keep ourselves steady on this rocking rolling ship called bc.

Belindaxxxx
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #20
Sherryg683

Thanks all, I woke up this morning and could actually hobble a little bit beter. I went to my chiropractor for my back and he usually helps with that. I guess I have always been the type of person that has never liked to take pills, if I have pain..I want to know why and do something to get rid of it. That's why taking the pain pills have been hard for me, I feel like I am just masking the pain and not doing actually treating it, which is a stupid way to think. And you are right Mary Anne, I guess I have bigger worries and battle to fight than taking a few pain pills a day. I took neurontin for about a month and couldn't handle it. It made me totally loopy, I was running into things at Wal-Mart one day and then realized that I couldn't even remember what I had done the day before, I took myself off them then. I am taking cymbalta which is an anti-depressant which works on the nerve system, I can tell when I miss a day. I usually can make it through the day but around 5:00 pm the pain starts becoming intolerable. The Loritabs work well with me and I don't get too groggy, I actually get more energy. I just want to wake up one day and feel like I did before all this. My mental outlook is better today anyway, yesterday was just so hard for me. My son just moved out the house for college and I guess I am just a little depressed about that also...Thank you all for being here for me, not too many people really understand how we feel...which is a good thing I guess. I wouldn't wish this on anyone...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote